VOGONS

Reply 40 of 45, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Bumping this thread back up. I've been offered a Foxconn A6GMV + CPU in trade for something I'm not using. I'm probably gonna go for it, it looks like a nice little board.

foxconn-a6gmv.jpg

If you look just to the right of the PSU/IDE, there are apparently solder pads for a floppy and even the word 'floppy' already silkscreened onto the board. Any chance I can just solder a pinheader onto this thing and get at least one floppy port? Has anyone done that?

Any opinions on this board; is it decent? AM3 / 690G chipset.

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 42 of 45, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Because it's there. 😜
Seriously I don't "need" the floppy on this since I got the Shuttle XPC box (build thread coming soon!) but if I can get it working with a little effort I don't see any reason not to. I have *boxes* of old data on 3.5" disks that need to get backed up / imaged.

I'm not seeing the scores of cheap AMx/775 boards that you guys keep posting about. I live on an island and they're just not there on the used market.

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 43 of 45, by shamino

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
xjas wrote:

If you look just to the right of the PSU/IDE, there are apparently solder pads for a floppy and even the word 'floppy' already silkscreened onto the board. Any chance I can just solder a pinheader onto this thing and get at least one floppy port?

Doubtful. There's probably more missing than just the pins.

====
For whatever it's worth, I was looking for legacy ports when I bought my AM3 motherboard a few years ago, so here's some models of AM3 that I know about:
Gigabyte GA-790XTA-UD4:
AM3, 790X+SB750, 2x PS2, floppy, 1x IDE channel, has a header for a serial port (I've added the bracket and it works), but no parallel.
I still use this board. Later I added a PCI card to get a parallel port, but it's lousy driver caused power management support in WinXP to be disabled. S3 standby never worked anyway, but hibernation does (with the card removed or disabled).
This board can unlock cores.

Alongside that, Gigabyte had a similar board with the more expensive 790FX chipset, and it added a parallel port header.
I've never used that board, and I don't remember the exact model name. I ended up wishing I had bought that one.

Gigabyte GA-MA785GMT-UD2H:
MicroATX AM3, 785G+SB710, 1x PS2, has headers for a serial port, parallel, floppy, 1x IDE channel.
I don't remember if it can unlock cores.

MSI MS-7596 785GM-E51:
MicroATX AM3, 785G+SB710, 1x PS/2, has headers for serial, parallel, floppy (manual mentions 2.88MB), 1x IDE channel.
Cannot unlock cores.

On all these boards, the COM/LPT are just pin headers that you have to add a bracket to actually use.
This was when AM2+ was still on the market and AM3 boards were new. At the time, many boards were starting to drop legacy ports so it needed to be paid attention to, but there were still a good number that had them. Dual PS/2s was more rare than the serial/parallel/floppy ports. The benefit of dual PS/2 is that you can hook up to a PS/2 KVM that is shared with older systems.

Reply 44 of 45, by candle_86

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
ODwilly wrote:

Sorry I am late to the party, but Asrock 990fx Extreme4 😉

yea that looks like your best bet, and heck throw an FX chip on it, 16gb of ram, a GTX 970 and you got everything