VOGONS

Old PCI WIFI Card

Topic actions

Reply 80 of 98, by CU_AMiGA

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Made a bit of progress with that Netgear Universal Wireless adapter thingy. Finally got it to recognise the wireless I am using, finally! The whole thing seems to be buggy as fuck as I lost total connection when the thing was plugged into the Ethernet port on my laptop! God knows how I got the thing going again, but I did! Lol

Reply 81 of 98, by ibm5155

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

on such old processor, go to a ethernet pci board, get something external to get the wifi signal and then transmit it over the ethernet port.
Almost all the wifi pci boards doesn't support the standart features used nowadats (and I'm not even talking about wifi n).
I just tested 3 cards, 2 pci and other usb, one worked fine, but it didn't support wpa2, the other one worked fine, but only with a bios config disabled (and that config beat 10fps loss D:) and the third one the drivers were making the machine too slow D:

Reply 82 of 98, by PCBONEZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

He's already using an Ethernet port to an external WiFi device.
He's saying the external WiFi device is buggy.

GRUMPY OLD FART - On Hiatus, sort'a
Mann-Made Global Warming. - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.
You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.

Reply 83 of 98, by CU_AMiGA

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It was buggy to setup 😉 Works fine now.

OK The realtek site doesnt appear to have the drivers, so i found this on this very forum:

http://www.vogonsdrivers.com/getfile.php?file … &menustate=31,0

Just to doubly make sure, this will 100% work with this card right?

Reply 84 of 98, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The driver package you require will depend on the OS you will be using. Realtek has drivers available for download.
http://www.realtek.com.tw/Downloads/downloads … 3&GetDown=false

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 87 of 98, by PCBONEZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
CU_AMiGA wrote:

Oops. I have Win98se. Realtek don't appear to have drivers for WFW3.11, Win95, Win98

http://www.belkin.com/us/support-article?articleNum=5199
It doesn't list them but guess what happens when you actually download and look in the package.
Ver 1 shown

Belkin.jpg
Filename
Belkin.jpg
File size
27.29 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Ver 1 covers DOS-W2k
Ver 2 covers XP-Win7

Mann-Made Global Warming. - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.
You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.

Reply 89 of 98, by PCBONEZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
gdjacobs wrote:

OEM disk pack on the Realtek site has that and more 😀

I believe you but that isn't were I looked for the inf to determine if it was a Realtek chip on the card in the first place.
Realtek's package wouldn't be much help if it didn't have a Realtek chip.

Reply 91 of 98, by PCBONEZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
gdjacobs wrote:

I always pull the PCI ID for that.

How do you do that on a card in someone else's hands somewhere else in the world that may or may not know how to do that and doesn't have the card working yet?
Which is the situation I was in.
This is all I had to go on.

CU_AMiGA wrote:

In the meantime, i went to my local charity shop and managed to find this card:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Belkin-F5D5000-Desk … bQAAOSw3KFWeXOt

I bought it with a voucher so it didnt cost me anything. But can anyone confirm whether this will work in my system (it looks good to me). If so then can anyone point to a reliable place where i can get the drivers for it 😉

Reply 92 of 98, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I've been in your shoes before. I know how frustrating drivers can be for esoteric hardware. Considering the tendency of some network card manufacturers to flip-flop chipsets as well as relabel them (I love you, D-Link), that task can be substantially more difficult than it should be. Of course, the problem is compounded when having to deal with PEBCAK. A user who's invested in finding a solution with a tint of experience is an excellent start to achieving a solution, but such users seem too few when swimming in the sea of indifference.

However, in this case, the OP had identified the NIC as using the RTL8139 chipset. The 8139 has been stable for a long time with few sub-revisions, so I'm not afraid to recommend drivers from the hardware vendor.

Reply 93 of 98, by PCBONEZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
gdjacobs wrote:

However, in this case, the OP had identified the NIC as using the RTL8139 chipset.

If you go back and read the tread that is not true.
I am the one that identified the chip. And I just told you how I did it.

Reply 94 of 98, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
PCBONEZ wrote:
If you back and read the tread that is not true. . I am the one that identified the chip. And I just told you how I did it. . […]
Show full quote

If you back and read the tread that is not true.
I am the one that identified the chip. And I just told you how I did it.

I see (said the blind man). Credit where credit is due, I missed that earlier comment.

I had a peak, and it seems Belkin is another company that feels obliged to rebadge network controllers. This kind of stupidity really annoys me. I can't find any information on board revisions for that model, but it should be fine even if they used the C or C+ revisions of the chip.

I run into this issue more when I'm shopping to avoid incompatible hardware. My preference is to go by board shots, but I sometimes fall back on the collected wisdom of PCIUTILS developers or resort to opening the IHV driver package.
https://pci-ids.ucw.cz/read/PC/10ec/8139

Reply 95 of 98, by CU_AMiGA

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Good news guys! I finally got round to trying that card out. Installed it, installed the drivers that PCBONEZ linked and the card works just fine. Next I connected that Netgear Universal Wireless thing and Hey Presto I am Playing online Quake 2 death match! Great job guys! 😁

Reply 96 of 98, by PCBONEZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

CONGRATS!

Reply 98 of 98, by CU_AMiGA

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Gets even better! I managed to go for a double and had a further look at that wireless router in client bridge mode. I managed to pick a wireless router up for cheap, and followed the instructions linked earlier, and with the help of some youtube videos, i now have that Windows 98 machine hooked up semi wirelessly to the internet. Thanks guys! 😁