VOGONS

Old PCI WIFI Card

Topic actions

Reply 40 of 98, by alexanrs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Brazil was plagued with many el-cheapo routers that did not support it... and even with some later equipment it can be troublesome. I could not, for the life of me, get WDS to work reliably between an Apple Airport (main AP) and a TP-Link router. A bunch of stuff simply refused to work then. From what I remember reading in OpenWRT's wiki the best bet to get WDS working well was that both routers had compatible Broadcom/Atheros/whatever chips. Also, Apple Airports only like other Airports because Apple - it was not mine, mind you, as I would not waste my time with Apple stuff in a network filled with Windows machines. I instructed him to buy one of those wall socket extenders that had one of the bridging options that worked fine, but could not use the same SSID for the secondary WiFi (WDS still did not work correclty)

The way I do it at home with OpenWRT/DD-WRT is foolproof and works with any combination of routers I can imagine. First I give it a non-conflicting fixed IP, then set it up as a Wireless client (and keep it in LAN instead of WAN) , and finally disable DHCP, so the router gets reduced to bridging its switch and the WiFi network. Then, if needed, I set up the secondary modem as an AP so it will also provide a secondary WiFi network). There's more than one way to skin a cat ^^

IMHO for the OP the easiest way to proceed is to get a cheap wall socket "range extender" with a single RJ45 port. Those things are usually made with every bridging option possible so something should work.

Reply 41 of 98, by tayyare

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

According to my limited experience, there are routers (sometimes even cheap ones) with every option available (works as a router, or wireless bridge, or wired bridge, or access point) and there are routers, sometimes even expensive ones, that can only do the router thing and nothing else.

Here is my setup:

Clip_8.jpg
Filename
Clip_8.jpg
File size
118.59 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

As you can see, the second router is setup as a wired/wireless access point and a wired bridge. But it is not possible to set it up as a wireless bridge.

The modem/router that at the moment I use as a lean modem, a popular local brand called Airties, can do everything, including wireless bridge mode (my previous setup had a similar Airties instead of WUMC710, as a wireless bridge).

GA-6VTXE PIII 1.4+512MB
Geforce4 Ti 4200 64MB
Diamond Monster 3D 12MB SLI
SB AWE64 PNP+32MB
120GB IDE Samsung/80GB IDE Seagate/146GB SCSI Compaq/73GB SCSI IBM
Adaptec AHA29160
3com 3C905B-TX
Gotek+CF Reader
MSDOS 6.22+Win 3.11/95 OSR2.1/98SE/ME/2000

Reply 42 of 98, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You don't need WDS. You need a router that can use client mode. WDS is a low performance way to extend WIFI coverage, akin to using a WIFI extender.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 43 of 98, by PCBONEZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Sorry CU_AMiGA. I did not mean to open a 55 gallon can of worms just making a suggestion.
If you find the branching of the discussion bothersome the mods can split it into it's own topic.
You just need to ask them.

GRUMPY OLD FART - On Hiatus, sort'a
Mann-Made Global Warming. - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.
You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.

Reply 44 of 98, by PCBONEZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

TP-Link was mentioned earlier.
I bought one of those (granted it is a wired router) several years ago specifically to test it's long term reliability.
At about 1 year old it started getting flaky, dropping connections or locking up.
I replaced the cheap original caps with Panasonic FC or FR (don't recall which) and after that it has run 24/7 for 3+ years without a single problem.
The 'upgrade' cost something less than $3.

Mann-Made Global Warming. - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.
You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.

Reply 45 of 98, by OregonJim

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Sedrosken wrote:

As far as I know, there is no such animal. By the time WiFi cards were a thing the PC industry was completely onto Windows XP and 3.3v PCI. Your Pentium (to my knowledge) has 5v PCI slots. Only a bare few WLAN cards ever supported 9x at all.

Wrong. WiFi cards existed LONG before Windows even came along. The Proxim RangeLAN cards came out originally on the ISA bus in 1992! Later, they introduced both PCI and PCMCIA versions. These cards were supported under DOS (even with just a lowly 8086), then Win 3.1, and later Win9x and all the others. I designed an embedded version of their original ISA card in 1993. Granted, they only support 802.11b, but WiFi predates Windows (and PCI) by a big margin...

Reply 46 of 98, by CU_AMiGA

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Logistics wrote:

There's also the option of serial WiFi. Yes, it's slow.

hhhmmm interesting. Never knew such a thing existed! Would this be slower or faster than the Cisco Aironet 350 PCI?

Reply 47 of 98, by OregonJim

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
mockingbird wrote:

Now, assuming we're using a PC in a remote location that will only be using a Wired LAN card conected to this router, this second router needs to be set up in a way that it is treating the existing WiFi connection as it's WAN. This option does not exist on routers. There is no setting that takes existing WiFi networks, connects to them, and then uses the DHCP IP as its own internet source.

Sure there is - I'm using one right now. It's called a "Range Extender". Just a plain 'ol router that takes its WAN source from existing WiFi rather than wired. Creates its own subnets on both WiFi and wired from the pre-existing WiFi source.

Reply 48 of 98, by PCBONEZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
alexanrs wrote:

Brazil was plagued with many el-cheapo routers that did not support it... and even with some later equipment it can be troublesome. I could not, for the life of me, get WDS to work reliably between an Apple Airport (main AP) and a TP-Link router. A bunch of stuff simply refused to work then. From what I remember reading in OpenWRT's wiki the best bet to get WDS working well was that both routers had compatible Broadcom/Atheros/whatever chips. Also, Apple Airports only like other Airports because Apple - it was not mine, mind you, as I would not waste my time with Apple stuff in a network filled with Windows machines. I instructed him to buy one of those wall socket extenders that had one of the bridging options that worked fine, but could not use the same SSID for the secondary WiFi (WDS still did not work correclty)

The way I do it at home with OpenWRT/DD-WRT is foolproof and works with any combination of routers I can imagine. First I give it a non-conflicting fixed IP, then set it up as a Wireless client (and keep it in LAN instead of WAN) , and finally disable DHCP, so the router gets reduced to bridging its switch and the WiFi network. Then, if needed, I set up the secondary modem as an AP so it will also provide a secondary WiFi network). There's more than one way to skin a cat ^^

IMHO for the OP the easiest way to proceed is to get a cheap wall socket "range extender" with a single RJ45 port. Those things are usually made with every bridging option possible so something should work.

I never said the firmware trick doesn't work.
I said it's not -required- and showed an easy alternative.
All the firmware mod actually does is allow software access to 'switches' that configure the IC chips in the router.
The firmware mod does not change the IC chips in the router - the 'switches' and functions are already there.
In my experience said 'switching' is already available using the factory firmware.
The only real difference between what you do and what I do is that we use different means to flip switches.

Last edited by PCBONEZ on 2015-12-29, 10:11. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 49 of 98, by PCBONEZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
OregonJim wrote:
Sedrosken wrote:

As far as I know, there is no such animal. By the time WiFi cards were a thing the PC industry was completely onto Windows XP and 3.3v PCI. Your Pentium (to my knowledge) has 5v PCI slots. Only a bare few WLAN cards ever supported 9x at all.

Wrong. WiFi cards existed LONG before Windows even came along. The Proxim RangeLAN cards came out originally on the ISA bus in 1992! Later, they introduced both PCI and PCMCIA versions. These cards were supported under DOS (even with just a lowly 8086), then Win 3.1, and later Win9x and all the others. I designed an embedded version of their original ISA card in 1993. Granted, they only support 802.11b, but WiFi predates Windows (and PCI) by a big margin...

I believe you.
In the mid 90's when 486's cost ~$1100 I don't think a lot of home users (or even small business's) cared to have swarms of PCs around to network so they just never explored networking in detail.

Reply 50 of 98, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
gdjacobs wrote:

You don't need WDS. You need a router that can use client mode. WDS is a low performance way to extend WIFI coverage, akin to using a WIFI extender.

WDS is more common than "client mode" in routers. In this particular case - would there really be a difference in performance? How much?

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 51 of 98, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If WDS is bridging to another wireless device, I would expect less than 50% (TX and RX for every packet, less overhead). I would expect some overhead as the router listens for clients, but if there are only wired devices connected it should be closer to client mode. Maybe worth a test...

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 52 of 98, by torindkflt

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

What about something like this? http://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-Universal-Ether … 1/dp/B003KPBRRW

It's basically a "universal" adapter that converts an ethernet connection into wifi (basically the opposite of an AP). No drivers needed on the computer, all configuration is done using the adapter itself. You would likely need to connect it to a modern system first to configure it (Simple browser-based GUI), but once that's done it's plug & play on the older system. This would pretty much guarantee even the oldest of computers could connect to modern wifi regardless of what other peripherals it can and cannot support, as long as it at least has a functional ethernet port and an OS with TCP/IP support.

Reply 53 of 98, by PCBONEZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
torindkflt wrote:

That would work if the one of the 802.11 versions it uses is compatible.
That is exactly what we were doing with router 'tricks' but that thing only has one hardwire port. The router would probably provide 4 or even more.
To connect to multiple hardwire devices to the WNCE2001 one would additionally need a hardwire router.

torindkflt wrote:

(basically the opposite of an AP).

It is an AP. They just came up with catchy name for it.
APs are two way devices 'out both ends'. There isn't really a backwards except in peoples minds.
The router tricks are indeed using an AP "backwards" compared to how they are usually used.
I think that's why some people got confused.

Reply 54 of 98, by alexanrs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
torindkflt wrote:

Should work. And would perhaps be better than an old non-802.11n router.

Reply 55 of 98, by CU_AMiGA

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

OK just a bit of an update. The wifi connections i will be using are 802.11g/n. So the older cards mentioned earlier that only connect to the old 802.11g/n standard would be no use to me. So that NETGEAR Universal N300 connect to an ethernet port on the PC would be a go-er. Does this device exist in the UK? I can only see it being sold on US ebay/amazon sites.

Reply 56 of 98, by PCBONEZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I guess the UK ppl are still getting over their hangovers.

Reply 57 of 98, by CU_AMiGA

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Amazing! Can only seem to find this device on US sites, and there is no other equivalent! 😳 Maybe i can buy one and use a 5v UK power supply. Anyone know of a decent PCI ethernet card that would work within Windows 98se and a Pentium 1? 🤣

Reply 58 of 98, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I am pretty sure the $10 Rosewill pci wifi card I bought on Newegg will work under 98se and on a P1. Let me track down the specs online and get back to you. EDIT: Just checked and could not find a minimum system recommendation but can confirm 98se drivers to be available. Rosewill RNX-G300LX is the model.

Main pc: Asus ROG 17. R9 5900HX, RTX 3070m, 16gb ddr4 3200, 1tb NVME.
Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1