VOGONS

Reply 20 of 27, by alexanrs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

No, no... I mean hooking the turbo button in the case to the multiplier and/or FSB pins, not a turbo header on the motherboard - I'm yet to see a Super Socket 7 motherboard with one of those.
Also, try disabling both L1 and L2 (I'm not sure L2 can stay enabled on its own, but its worth a try)

Reply 21 of 27, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

No turbo button on case either. 🙁 Thanks, though.

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 22 of 27, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
gdjacobs wrote:

The other contact cleaning technique is to use an eraser.

I keep forgetting about this one and even though I never tried it myself, it kinda makes sense and it seems lots of people here use that technique 😀

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 23 of 27, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Tetrium wrote:
gdjacobs wrote:

The other contact cleaning technique is to use an eraser.

I keep forgetting about this one and even though I never tried it myself, it kinda makes sense and it seems lots of people here use that technique 😀

At least on NES cartridges, I've had the best success with a combination of rubbing alcohol and Brasso.

Reply 24 of 27, by HighTreason

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I use Brasso and lighter fluid most of the time. The lighter fluid and alcohol are interchangeable, it's whichever I have to hand and they both remove any residue left by the Brasso and then evaporate on their own. Only thing about the Brasso is that you have to be very gentle, or else you will remove the gold plating as well as the dirt.

My Youtube - My Let's Plays - SoundCloud - My FTP (Drivers and more)

Reply 25 of 27, by PCBONEZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Tabasco sauce and a soft toothbrush or a Q-Tip.
Apply to the brush or Q-Tip then move it to the part. Don't leave it on long. Works fast.
Flush off with isopropyl from a spray bottle.
Using Tabasco sauce in place of Brasso is an old Navy trick used because it's faster and easier.
Just don't let the mess deck staff see you stealing the Tabasco sauce. 🤣

GRUMPY OLD FART - On Hiatus, sort'a
Mann-Made Global Warming. - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.
You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.

Reply 26 of 27, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

So I've had time to test the socket 7 board at 550Mhz all the way down to 166Mhz, with and without L1 (L2 no effect). My benchmark for 386 performance is speedsys and Wing Commander 1. I could not get speedsys scores less than 33. I think WC wants this to be between 8-10. What I like about this board is it has an ISA slot, a fast cpu, and fast onboard video due to it being on the AGP bus. So for now this board will go into storage. I'm definitely not getting rid of it! I just don't have any room for more than one active DOS machine.

The other board (with the 440LX and Celeron 333) is pretty interesting too. It has nice onboard AGP too--ATI Video Xpression+ Mach64VT4 with 2MB. Still quite fast. In fact, it's hard to tell between it and the socket 7 board in the most demanding games I've tried (System Shock and Descent 2), but it does downclock much slower (in fact, too slow--speedsys is 4.43) and has an AGP slot and 2x ISA slots. Still not good enough to dethrone my Packard Bell Pentium 120 as main DOS rig. I think before I retire this one I will run some VGA benchmarks on it with all of my AGP cards.

The Packard Bell is the best compromise of the three. I've overclocked it to 133Mhz, it has a PCI slot for my Voodoo3, and 2x ISA slots. It is a *little* sluggish with System Shock and Descent 2 and very sluggish with Cybermage, but everything else I have plays great. And Setmul drops its speed to about 8.5--perfect for the Wing Commanders.

I really appreciate everyone's help and feedback. You are a great community and I feel blessed to be a part of it.

PS--on both of these boards, I pulled them from the HP micro towers and tossed the cases. They are horrible to work in--having to disassemble everything just to get to something simple. I prefer to use my own cases. 😀

Cheers!

Last edited by clueless1 on 2015-12-31, 14:53. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 27 of 27, by HighTreason

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
PCBONEZ wrote:
Tabasco sauce and a soft toothbrush or a Q-Tip. Apply to the brush or Q-Tip then move it to the part. Don't leave it on long. Wo […]
Show full quote

Tabasco sauce and a soft toothbrush or a Q-Tip.
Apply to the brush or Q-Tip then move it to the part. Don't leave it on long. Works fast.
Flush off with isopropyl from a spray bottle.
Using Tabasco sauce in place of Brasso is an old Navy trick used because it's faster and easier.
Just don't let the mess deck staff see you stealing the Tabasco sauce. 🤣

I don't have any Tabasco sauce, so I do this the other way around. 😵

My Youtube - My Let's Plays - SoundCloud - My FTP (Drivers and more)