VOGONS

First post, by SRQ

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

After some hiccups related to Voodoo 2 Sli not liking an Audigy 2 (overlapping memory as near as I can, solved with UESP3.), I have successfully gotten the system working and stable. However, under the V2 portion of display manager, in system info, I get this:

Scanline Interleave:Detected!!

FBI Revision:4
Frame Buffer Memory:4 MB
Texture Mapping Unit(s):2
TMU Revision:4
Total Texture Memory:8 MB

FxMemMap VxD Version:4.10.01.0015
WinGlide 2.x Driver Version:2.56.00.0459

Should it not see 4 texture mapping units? I can run Glide games at 1024x768, and there are no problems in device manager or DXDIAG. Is this just some minor problem, or is it actually working? Drivers used are FastV2- latest version. Cards are mis-matched, with the first being a 12MB STB and the second a powercolour 12mb.

Oddly it says only 4MB of framebuffer memory is available- but this is quantifiably untrue since Glide games can do 1024x768. I suspect this little utility is off- but is there some way to check all 4 TMUs are usable?

And by the way, thank you all kindly for the help and information offered thus far. I feel like buying you all a present- anyone want any SDRAM? PM me with your address and I'll lettermail some 128MB sticks to you 😀.

Reply 1 of 11, by subhuman@xgtx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
SRQ wrote:
After some hiccups related to Voodoo 2 Sli not liking an Audigy 2 (overlapping memory as near as I can, solved with UESP3.), I h […]
Show full quote

After some hiccups related to Voodoo 2 Sli not liking an Audigy 2 (overlapping memory as near as I can, solved with UESP3.), I have successfully gotten the system working and stable. However, under the V2 portion of display manager, in system info, I get this:

Should it not see 4 texture mapping units? I can run Glide games at 1024x768, and there are no problems in device manager or DXDIAG. Is this just some minor problem, or is it actually working? Drivers used are FastV2- latest version. Cards are mis-matched, with the first being a 12MB STB and the second a powercolour 12mb.

Oddly it says only 4MB of framebuffer memory is available- but this is quantifiably untrue since Glide games can do 1024x768. I suspect this little utility is off- but is there some way to check all 4 TMUs are usable?

And by the way, thank you all kindly for the help and information offered thus far. I feel like buying you all a present- anyone want any SDRAM? PM me with your address and I'll lettermail some 128MB sticks to you 😀.

Can you run games at 1024x768 just fine? If so then your cards are working perfectly, latest drivers just report the memory amount & chipset configuration for a single card. Just a minor aesthetic issue. 😀

Cheers!

7fbns0.png

tbh9k2-6.png

Reply 2 of 11, by SRQ

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
subhuman@xgtx wrote:
SRQ wrote:
After some hiccups related to Voodoo 2 Sli not liking an Audigy 2 (overlapping memory as near as I can, solved with UESP3.), I h […]
Show full quote

Can you run games at 1024x768 just fine? If so then your cards are working perfectly, latest drivers just report the memory amount & chipset configuration for a single card. Just a minor aesthetic issue. 😀

Cheers!

That makes sense then! I was just fearing that two TMUs weren't being used- I've had an endless series of stupid problems with this computer and I will be DAMNED if it works anything other than perfectly.

Reply 3 of 11, by SRQ

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Off topic- 53'c for a motherboard, is that too high? This system occasionally reaches that with heavy use. Haven't seen it go past 54 or 55 and It seems to hover around 50. This case has horrible circulation, but I can improve it if I add a fan- I just really don't want to. (I only have noisy ones)

Reply 4 of 11, by JayCeeBee64

User metadata
Rank Retired
Rank
Retired
SRQ wrote:

Off topic- 53'c for a motherboard, is that too high? This system occasionally reaches that with heavy use. Haven't seen it go past 54 or 55 and It seems to hover around 50. This case has horrible circulation, but I can improve it if I add a fan- I just really don't want to. (I only have noisy ones)

I would go ahead if I were you - I'd rather deal with the fan noise instead of watching my PC hardware slowly bake itself to death.

Ooohh, the pain......

Reply 5 of 11, by HighTreason

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You can always try running the fans at 5V. Sometimes it will give you just enough airflow to keep the system cool, especially if you started with poor airflow or none at all.

My Youtube - My Let's Plays - SoundCloud - My FTP (Drivers and more)

Reply 7 of 11, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
HighTreason wrote:

You can always try running the fans at 5V. Sometimes it will give you just enough airflow to keep the system cool, especially if you started with poor airflow or none at all.

This is a great way to silence fans which otherwise would be useless because of the noise.
7V is also good and less chance of the fan jamming because it get too much friction or because it doesn't start turning because it isn't receiving enough power (soms fans need a little "push" before they will rotate on their own).

SRQ wrote:

How would I do that? These are just 3pin or molex fans.

Fan adapters. The 5v ones should be very common, but there's also 7v ones (basically 12v - 5v instead of just 5v - ground)

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 11 of 11, by PCBONEZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
SRQ wrote:

While probably not "too high" it's pretty toasty and each 10 degree rise in temperature reduces capacitor life by 1/2 (50%).
I would add a fan.

GRUMPY OLD FART - On Hiatus, sort'a
Mann-Made Global Warming. - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.
You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.