VOGONS

AWE64 Value being recognized as SB16

Topic actions

First post, by schadenfreude1

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yo soon-to-be-friends! As the subject states, I'm trying to install a CT4520 AWE64 Value ISA sound card into my Pentium 1 MMX machine (200MHz, 64MB RAM) and am running into a problem. I've never set up a "plug and play" sound card before in DOS, so I followed Phil's YouTube guide here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xaf4lWI2TEk

Following his guide, I went to the Creative site, downloaded ctcmbbs.exe and sbbasic.exe, extracted them both, then ran through the installation, basically selecting defaults for everything. The one thing I noticed that seemed off was that the installation didn't install AWEUTIL nor did the BLASTER environment variable contain an Emu8000 port.

When I run CTCM, here's what it outputs:

CTCM output wrote:

Found Creative Plug and Play card: Creative SB16 PnP

Successfully configured 3 of 3 Creative Plug and Play devices.
BLASTER environment is set at: A240 I10 D3 H7 P300 T6

I've also tried installing from the AWE64 CD found on vogonsdrivers.com, but it leads to the same result. I even updated the firmware of the card as mentioned here, but the end result is the same.

At this point, I assume either 1) The sound card is faulty; or 2) The software is failing to detect that the card is AWE-compliant and more than just a Sound Blaster 16.

Here are the contents of AUTOEXEC.BAT and CONFIG.SYS:

AUTOEXEC.BAT wrote:
SET SOUND=C:\SB16 SET BLASTER=A240 I10 D3 H7 P300 T6 SET MIDI=SYNTH:1 MAP:E SET CTCM=C:\CTCM C:\SB16\DIAGNOSE /S /W=C:\WINDOWS C […]
Show full quote

SET SOUND=C:\SB16
SET BLASTER=A240 I10 D3 H7 P300 T6
SET MIDI=SYNTH:1 MAP:E
SET CTCM=C:\CTCM
C:\SB16\DIAGNOSE /S /W=C:\WINDOWS
C:\SB16\MIXERSET /P /Q
C:\CTCM\CTCU /S /W=C:\WINDOWS
@ECHO OFF
PROMPT $p$g
LH /L:2,28288 C:\WINDOWS\MSCDEX.EXE /S /D:IDECD000
LH /L:0;2,3328 /S C:\CTMOUSE\CTMOUSE.EXE
:C:\BLASTER\SBP-SET /M:15 /VOC:15 /CD:15 /FM:15
:C:\JOYKEYS\JOYKEYS /K /ALeft=GLeft /ARight=GRight /AUp=GUp /ADown=GDown /A1=RAlt /A2=" " /B1=RCtl

GOTO %CONFIG%

:BASE_CONFIG
PATH C:\DOS;C:\;C:\WINDOWS;C:\UTILS;C:\TC\BIN
GOTO END

:FULL_CONFIG
C:\WINDOWS\net start
C:\DOS\SMARTDRV.EXE /X
PATH C:\WINDOWS;C:\DOS;C:\;C:\UTILS;C:\ACRODOS
SET TEMP=C:\DOS
GOTO END

:END

CONFIG.SYS wrote:
DEVICE=C:\DOS\HIMEM.SYS /TESTMEM:OFF DEVICE=C:\DOS\EMM386.EXE NOEMS BUFFERS=15,0 REM ** FILES=30 DOS=UMB LASTDRIVE=D FCBS=4,0 re […]
Show full quote

DEVICE=C:\DOS\HIMEM.SYS /TESTMEM:OFF
DEVICE=C:\DOS\EMM386.EXE NOEMS
BUFFERS=15,0
REM ** FILES=30
DOS=UMB
LASTDRIVE=D
FCBS=4,0
rem DEVICE=C:\DOS\EMM386.EXE noems

[COMMON]
DEVICE=C:\CTCM\CTCM.EXE

[menu]
MENUITEM=base_config,Base Configuration Only
MENUITEM=full_config,Normal Configuration
MENUDEFAULT=base_config,5
MENUCOLOR=14,1

[common]
DEVICEHIGH /L:1,33760 =C:\CDROM\AOATAPI.SYS /D:IDECD000
DOS=HIGH
STACKS=9,256
SWITCHES=/F

[base_config]

[full_config]
DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\IFSHLP.SYS
DEVICE=C:\DOS\SETVER.EXE
[COMMON]
FILES=40

Thanks!

Reply 1 of 29, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hmm.

Could you go into the SB16 directory and run DIAGNOSE?

It will do a bunch of tests, and then have tests for the digital, FM and AWE part.

The resources it assigned are a bit odd. What other cards are in the system? Go into the BIOS and disable resources you don't use, such as serial and parallel ports.

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 2 of 29, by schadenfreude1

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for the quick reply!

Here's what it outputs:

DSP version: 4.16
Base I/O: 240H MPU401: 300H IRQ: 10 DMA: 3,7

I disabled the parallel port some time ago; I recently check the serial port and didn't see a way to disable it in the BIOS, though I'll have to check again.

At the moment, there are no other cards in the system. There used to be a network card in there, but I removed it to minimize variables. Oh, and the video card is onboard.

Reply 3 of 29, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Is that it?

It should run you through an extensive set of options.

In the BIOS, there are a lot of PnP options. Such as PnP OS is used. You can also try reserving some of the resources.

Is this in a Windows 98 machine in DOS mode?

If so, go back into Windows > Device manager and play around with the resources. You might have to set to a different configuration profile. This will also change the resources in MS-DOS mode. But you need to shut down, and restart to make it work in DOS.

Reply 4 of 29, by schadenfreude1

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yep, that's it. I booted it up and get a message that starts with "This utility allows you to: ...", etc., then when I hit Enter to proceed, it starts testing the various ports and printing them to the screen (for example, "Testing IRQ", then "IRQ set at 10 successfully"). Once that finishes, it asks me if I want to test 8/16 bit digitized sound or synthesized music. The sound effects always work, but the music never plays.

If I hit F10 to update system settings, it will just write these values to AUTOEXEC. I don't see any other options I can run in this program.

Nope, this machine is only running DOS 6.22. I'm too cool for Windows.

Reply 5 of 29, by schadenfreude1

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
PhilsComputerLab wrote:

In the BIOS, there are a lot of PnP options. Such as PnP OS is used.

I found an option under "Advanced Setup" called "Plug and Play Control — Set Device Node". It's currently enabled. Should I disable it?

Reply 6 of 29, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

No music playing in diagnose is not good 🙁

Yes, play around with the PnP options.

Your startup files have references to Windows, which is odd if you're using MS-DOS 6.22.

But if you're on 6.22, that means CTCU will work.

This is the CTCM folder. Type CTCU and you will be able to re-arrange resources.

Reply 7 of 29, by schadenfreude1

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Oh wow, your post hit at exactly 00:00 GMT of the New Year! Nice timing!

I tried disabling that Plug and Play option in the BIOS, but it didn't help anything. Then I noticed that underneath Legacy Devices in the BIOS, lots of IRQ channels were marked as "Unavailable", so I made available everything not currently in use by the system.

Yeah, regarding Windows, some history about this system: my brother and I set this machine up about ten years ago, dual-booting OS/2 and DOS. At one point we installed Windows 3.1 to set up something, though I don't remember the details. And it used to have a non-PnP Sound Blaster in it until I yanked that to try to install the AWE64, which is why some of those legacy channels were made unavailable in the BIOS.

Anyway, with everything made available and PnP disabled in the BIOS, I started from scratch, but still when I run INSTALL.EXE, here are the values it gives me:

The following lines will be added to your system files: […]
Show full quote

The following lines will be added to your system files:

C:\AUTOEXEC.BAT file:
SET BLASTER=A220 I5 D1 H5 P330 T6
SET SOUND=C:\SB16
SET MIDI=SYNTH:1 MAP:E
C:\SB16\DIAGNOSE /S /W=C:\WINDOWS
C:\SB16\MIXERSET /P /Q

C:\CONFIG.SYS file:
FILES=40 (If it is less than 40 or does not exist)

To continue, press ENTER.

Note that there's no E port set in the BLASTER variable nor was AWEUTIL copied and set in AUTOEXEC. It still thinks I am installing an SB16...

So, after rebooting, I see that BLASTER is now set to "A220 I5 D1 H5 P330 T6" in AUTOEXEC, but even though the resources look more standard now, the software is still detecting the card as an SB16. CTCM still says that I am running an SB16 PnP, which is incorrect. Is there something special I have to set, like a jumper on the sound card to something to say that I want to install it in AWE mode instead of SB16 mode or something like that?

Reply 9 of 29, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Well the resources look great now!

You can run diagnose to test the card and there is a song for the AWE synth.

In Doom or Descent, can you select AWE for music?

Reply 11 of 29, by schadenfreude1

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
PhilsComputerLab wrote:

You can run diagnose to test the card and there is a song for the AWE synth.

In Doom or Descent, can you select AWE for music?

Nope, diagnose still plays no music, and Doom doesn't play music, whether I select Sound Blaster or AWE32. Both diagnose and Doom play sound effects fine though.

alexanrs wrote:

Have you tried clearing CMOS? I think there is usually a setting called "Reset Configuration Data" in most BIOSes as well that could help.

I'm using an IBM PC 350. I see here that CMOS can be reset by switching a jumper on the motherboard. Is this what you want me to try?

alexanrs wrote:

Btw what happens if you copy AWEUTIL manually and run it.

Good idea! I just copied it over and ran it. The output is "ERR012: AWE32 initialization failed".

Reply 13 of 29, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Just to be shure.... Locate the file, named something like CTPNP.CFG and open it with a text editor.
In there, you can manually edit the settings. (Such as IRQ and DMA's)

You really do not need diagnose or something like this, if you only want to change settings.

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 14 of 29, by schadenfreude1

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I don't think the issue is settings; the issue is that the Creative PnP software thinks the AWE64 is an SB16. How do I make it recognize the card correctly?

Reply 15 of 29, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You could allways delete the drivers, and start all over. Using the set of files, found at phil's computerlab.
I was just referring to a quick and easy way of changing settings if you so desired in the future.

If the problem is the PNP software that are broken, then it would be the fastest way, just to delete and start over.
Had a problem like this a couple of weeks ago, were the software was broken.
So I installed it again, and everything was in working order again.

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 16 of 29, by Malvineous

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Can you post a clear photo of the card so we can see what's on it, read some labels on the chips, etc? That can often help quite a lot.

Reply 17 of 29, by schadenfreude1

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I think you're onto something! The unit I have looks like this one. Though it says CT4520 on the top and has "Creative" written on the big chip and the board, the main chip lacks the AWE logo and "Sound Blaster AWE64" stamp emblazoned in the left corner. Wow, I can't believe I never noticed this! So assuming this is actually an SB16 and not an AWE64, why didn't it get a unique model number from Creative? Did the OEM remove the AWE64 chip but forget to update the board?

Anyway, I downloaded some older SB16 installation disks and set up the card, now assuming it's a true SB16. But after installing and rebooting, the same problem remains in that I can hear digitized sound but can't hear music. I'm guessing something is wrong with the card, and my interest level in getting it to work has plummeted since realizing it's not a real AWE64.

Reply 19 of 29, by schadenfreude1

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Nope, it's at a reasonable volume. But thanks for the tip — I tested the sound in the Duke 3D setup options, and though the sound works, the music doesn't play. However, when I turned the speaker volume up really loud, I could hear faint clicking noises to the rhythm of the song. So something's playing, but it's indiscernible, despite the music mixing being at the highest volume in the Creative mixer.