VOGONS

would you pay for this?

Topic actions

First post, by emosun

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I should start off by saying this isn't an ad or anything I'm just purely curious what you think.

How much would you pay someone else to return your yellowed classic computer cases/components/peripherals back to their original light beige?
Provided they did a good job , had plenty of references and examples of their work , were NOT painting but only chemically restoring them.
You could easily say "I don't mind them being yellowed". But this is for anyone who would be interested in them being original again.

How much would you EXPECT to pay for a

mouse
kb
monitor
tower

Skipable:

I restore wood for a living in large government buildings. I noticed the chemical process for restoring wood and removing yellowing on plastic is very similar so that's where I'm coming from. Plus I get alot of satisfaction from restoring things that are savable.

Reply 2 of 25, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I would not pay anyone for doing this at any point in time. It is not a question about money.
It is more the thing, that I want to do stuff on my own. Too easy just to pay for stuff being done for me.

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 3 of 25, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Keep in mind that you can still buy brand new in box AT cases sometimes for $40-$50 that will have no yellowing at all, so the amount you can charge to restore yellowed cases has a definite upper limit.

Reply 4 of 25, by PCBONEZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I would do that sort of thing myself.
Even if the cost of the service was dirt cheap the two-way shipping costs would kill the deal for me.

GRUMPY OLD FART - On Hiatus, sort'a
Mann-Made Global Warming. - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.
You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.

Reply 5 of 25, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I agree with the others about not wanting to pay for such a service. I'd rather do it myself. BUT, I think what you're getting at is "What's a fair cost". IMO, I think $30 for for a PC, monitor, speakers, mouse, etc. So $30 for a whole PC set. $45 for extremely yellowed/weathered (at your discretion).

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 7 of 25, by emosun

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
brostenen wrote:

I would not pay anyone for doing this at any point in time.

That doesn't quite help the topic at all. It's like walking into a bike shop and saying to the clerk "I don't want to buy a bike" , then leaving .

Reply 8 of 25, by kanecvr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

On most old machines I like the yellowing - It's like patina for plastic 😀 Of course, some cases really do look better when bleached, but I prefer my late 80's early 90's stuff some measure of yellow patina.

Reply 9 of 25, by PCBONEZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
emosun wrote:
brostenen wrote:

I would not pay anyone for doing this at any point in time.

That doesn't quite help the topic at all. It's like walking into a bike shop and saying to the clerk "I don't want to buy a bike" , then leaving .

No it is not. You asked:

emosun wrote:

How much would you pay someone else ......

"Nothing" is a perfectly valid answer - whether you like the answer or not.

Mann-Made Global Warming. - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.
You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.

Reply 11 of 25, by emosun

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
PCBONEZ wrote:

Not really as it wouldn't be done for nothing. There's no possibility of someone doing it for free so it's not a valid answer. Clearly I should have stated that if you wouldn't want this service then you need not respond because it's not directed at you.

It's 100% my fault for overestimating the intelligence level some people use when reading a post , determining if they qualify for a response , and then responding with something constructive or helpful. To those that actually did give a reasonable response thank you , and sorry for the others that are trying very hard to belittle something they have no part in.

Reply 12 of 25, by PCBONEZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
emosun wrote:
PCBONEZ wrote:

Not really as it wouldn't be done for nothing. There's no possibility of someone doing it for free so it's not a valid answer. Clearly I should have stated that if you wouldn't want this service then you need not respond because it's not directed at you.

It's 100% my fault for overestimating the intelligence level some people use when reading a post , determining if they qualify for a response , and then responding with something constructive or helpful. To those that actually did give a reasonable response thank you , and sorry for the others that are trying very hard to belittle something they have no part in.

You over estimate your own intelligence...
Clearly you think you have grand business idea and you don't want hear the truth.
To explore your idea you asked people: "How much would you pay someone else ......"
Thus far 6 people have responded...
4 basically said they wouldn't pay for it at all.
1 said $10 which wouldn't even cover shipping.
1 said $30 including shipping so that's probably less than $10.
-- Very clear if you do this you will not be doing it with a significant (if any) positive cash flow.
-- Very clear you don't want to hear it.
So, you go right ahead and try. More power to ya.

Last edited by PCBONEZ on 2016-01-02, 12:53. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 15 of 25, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Well.... If you look for the answer, to why I do not want to pay for it. Then it's all there. Answer plus reason.
It seems as my answer was not fully understood. And yes. I know people who thinks that computer tech are
some sort of black voodoo magic. Perhaps you know where I am going with this. 🤣

I think this thing of de-yellow'ing stuff, applies and speaks to those indeviduals, who are afraid of chemicals,
are all into this "Three hugging organic we love the earth" stuff, who just happens to be right out scared of
the word "chemical" it self. You know... Anyway... Salt can be considered a chemical anyway...
Or it applies to those who only knows how to use a computer, not how to manage/build one.
Or it applies to those who are temporary into "retro-gaming", because it's the new kind off cool for them.
Or perhaps just someone who knows he's or her's way around computers, wich just happens to work too much.

If you own/work at (or know) a shop that sells old complete systems for retro-gaming-specific, then this is another
way of making it happen. You know. Part of the process.

Funny about the bike question. The answer is somewhat the same.
I will only pay for fixing my bike, if I don't have any knowledge of what I am doing.
And that would be, when I have to change... Well.... I know my way around bikes. 😉
It was all learning by doing baby.... All learning by doing. And I have busted a lot off tools in the process. 😁

Last edited by brostenen on 2016-01-02, 08:51. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 16 of 25, by HighTreason

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

^Same. I only farm things out to others if I absolutely can't do them myself. Even when I don't know what I'm doing I usually learn and try to do it myself.

emosun wrote:
PCBONEZ wrote:

That statement right there... It is hilarious.

That's like making a poll with only one option on it. By that logic one could make things appear however they wanted, example;

Am I really, really awesome? Only reply if you are going to say yes, if you want to say no than you shouldn't reply because I don't want to hear that.

Edit: Speaking of stupid polls, this guy probably ranks as the worst mod ever; http://s26.postimg.org/id83dm37d/MOD_POWAH.png (If you are over-sensitive to things, don't click the link).

Last edited by HighTreason on 2016-01-02, 09:00. Edited 1 time in total.

My Youtube - My Let's Plays - SoundCloud - My FTP (Drivers and more)

Reply 17 of 25, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yeah... In my childhood, my father newer understod why he, himself, allways busted his own tools....
I was kind of like a bad kid on this front. For my part, I can only say, that I wanted to see how stuff worked and how they were build.
At least, he newer knew that his belowed turntable (record player) was dismanteled and put together again.
I was like 10 or 8..... Everything tech' had to be taken apart and reconstructed in my world.

Reply 18 of 25, by HighTreason

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Pretty much how I learned everything I know. I didn't always get things right the first time, sometimes I had a handful of spare screws, but it paid off in the end. Right now, I don't know anything about how kitchen cabinets are assembled but I have two which need removing, so I will probably soon know the intricate details of assembling/disassembling such things... Or I might get bored and just use my wrecking bar, but that's my last resort and I would rather do it properly, can't understand when people do a half arsed job of things. Further reason I do things myself, I know I will do the best job I can. If I call someone else, they will have no sentiment towards the object in question and might cut corners to save time and earn more money. I used this argument with my bicycle, where if I wanted to spend 15 minutes cleaning the threads in each nut I could. Did I have to do it? No. The wheels, cotters and saddle would have worked fine anyway, but I'd know I'd done a sloppy job putting them back on and it didn't cost me any more to make sure I did the best job possible. Said wheels and stuff still seem to be working anyway, impressive anyway given the bike is almost a century old now, but I feel happy when I am around it because I know everything was done properly - because I am the one who did the work.

My Youtube - My Let's Plays - SoundCloud - My FTP (Drivers and more)

Reply 19 of 25, by firage

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
brostenen wrote:
I think this thing of de-yellow'ing stuff, applies and speaks to those indeviduals, who are afraid of chemicals, are all into th […]
Show full quote

I think this thing of de-yellow'ing stuff, applies and speaks to those indeviduals, who are afraid of chemicals,
are all into this "Three hugging organic we love the earth" stuff, who just happens to be right out scared of
the word "chemical" it self. You know... Anyway... Salt can be considered a chemical anyway...
Or it applies to those who only knows how to use a computer, not how to manage/build one.
Or it applies to those who are temporary into "retro-gaming", because it's the new kind off cool for them.
Or perhaps just someone who knows he's or her's way around computers, wich just happens to work too much.

Or people who've done it before and know what a pain in the ass it is with certain items, and the difficulties/expenses incurred with small amounts of (legally restricted) chemicals that keep for a limited length of time. 😀

My big-red-switch 486