VOGONS

First post, by alexanrs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hey guys. I'm kind of away from my retro gear and got nothing better to do than come up with ideas...

So, last year we used some XBee modules in the university for some data acquisition. These modules use the ZigBee standard (a low-power wireless communication standard) that easily allows one to add wireless capabilities to a project. This thing can operate in two modes: API mode, in which all capabilities of the module are available (and controllable) to whatever microcontroller you are using; and AT mode - in which it just sends whatever it receives through its UART RX pin to a pre-programmed address and puts everything it receives in its UART TX line. While API mode is far more powerful, AT mode allows adding wireless capabilities to an existing project with no need to modify the software, as it can be configured to act like a wireless bridge for serial communication between two devices.

Now, that got me thinking. According to the User Guide the module can be configured to use non-standard baud rates, and you can make it work by connecting nothing but the power and UART pins. Since the MIDI standard is nothing but UART communication using an odd baud rate, I started having ideas and ended up drawing this:

ZBMIDI.png
Filename
ZBMIDI.png
File size
22.45 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

This could become a tiny box (the XBee ZB module is small) for wireless MIDI. Make two of them and get two modules, then program both modules to give them unique addresses, the odd baud rate, the same network ID and make one have the other's address as its destination address. One can even program multiple modules with the same destination address and it should work!

Now, I will have neither time nor means to try this out myself in the near future, I decided to just share the idea to see what you guys think. Does this look reasonable? Would this be useful for some of you guys?

Thanks!