VOGONS

First post, by Dropcik

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have an Aopen AP5T system that I got for free a few years ago and I decided to pull it out and make a retro system with. The problem I encounter with it is whenever I set a HDD jumpers to 32GB clip setting an it always hangs the system when posting. I get en even weirder glitch when I use a thin maxtor 40GB HDD with the 32GB limit. When it posts I get no text, just a weird/cool looking pattern on the screen.

A couple of days ago I found a bios mod that allows HDD's up to 128GB. https://www.bios-mods.com/forum/Thread-AOpen- … P5T-R1-82-128GB
I was wondering what I would use to flash the program and back up my old bios. I also noticed that the bios mod forum post says that it is for the AP5T, but the read me says its for the AX5T. I think they might be the same electronically.

Ayy LMAO

Reply 1 of 7, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Dropcik wrote:

I think they might be the same electronically.

This may very well be the case. At first glance, it appears the AX5T is just the ATX version of your AP5T.
You could try to use the AX5T util and see if you can use it to make a backup of your old BIOS first?

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 2 of 7, by Dropcik

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I found the AP5T ver 1.83 bios (currently on 1.62) I will flash it to 1.83 tonight and If that doesn't fix the problem, I will try the modded bios for the AX5T.

Ayy LMAO

Reply 3 of 7, by Dropcik

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

It didn't work. I kept getting errors before it would try to flash. I think the flash chip might be locked, or something is preventing it from flashing. So I guess Ill stick with the small and loud hard drives for now. Ill update when and if I make any progress.

Ayy LMAO

Reply 4 of 7, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Dropcik wrote:

It didn't work. I kept getting errors before it would try to flash. I think the flash chip might be locked, or something is preventing it from flashing. So I guess Ill stick with the small and loud hard drives for now. Ill update when and if I make any progress.

Many motherboards have a jumper to unlock flashing of the BIOS. Check if yours got one and try again 😀

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 5 of 7, by Dropcik

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I got it flashed to 1.80! I saw http://www.oocities.org/hackedmobo/ap5t/apyou.htm#c1 <-here that some people could only go as high as 1.80. I don't know if the utility for 1.80 is better than the others or the newer bios is not compatible with newer boards (Ver 3.4).

Well anyway, I will try to get it flashed with the latest version when I get home tonight. But for now its running smooth with my k6 2 433 (456) and voodoo 3 3000 😀

Ayy LMAO

Reply 6 of 7, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Dropcik wrote:

I got it flashed to 1.80! I saw http://www.oocities.org/hackedmobo/ap5t/apyou.htm#c1 <-here that some people could only go as high as 1.80. I don't know if the utility for 1.80 is better than the others or the newer bios is not compatible with newer boards (Ver 3.4).

Well anyway, I will try to get it flashed with the latest version when I get home tonight. But for now its running smooth with my k6 2 433 (456) and voodoo 3 3000 😀

I read the page, I didn't even know this board could be pushed this far

Nicely done! 😀

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 7 of 7, by stef80

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Resurrecting the thread. I just bricked AP5T rev 3.1 with modded 1.82 BIOS 😀.
I have found 1.80 BIOS here: https://www.oocities.org/hackedmobo/ap5t/aphow.htm#bios, but I would be grateful if someone can dump any BIOS from a working board, preferably rev 3.1