VOGONS

First post, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Putting together a new build based around the 486DX50 with ISA only. Still wondering about the soundcard, and I have two available. I have a MusicQuest MQX-32 for MIDI and I'm only using external modules, so the MIDI doesn't matter on the SB cards.

Pros/cons as I see it:

SB16:
+ 44khz output
+ No need to reverse stereo
- Missing stereo compatibility on Pro support (Wolf3D only game)
- Known to be more noisier on sound output.

SB Pro 2:
+ Games of this era doesn't have 44khz samples, so the ability to output 44khz doesn't matter that much
+ Easier to get going
+ Full compatibility
- Reversed stereo is a problem if the game doesn't support swap.

Also, would you guys put a Gravis Ultrasound Classic in this machine, or would it be better for a faster system? I only have one Gravis Ultrasound card.

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 1 of 3, by firage

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I don't think you can really go wrong there. Either Sound Blaster makes sense. 44KHz mixing rate is asking a lot of that CPU with the SB16. The GUS is perfect in that it can offload stuff from the CPU and run better, but some GUS games could probably also benefit from a DX4-100 or a Pentium.

My big-red-switch 486

Reply 2 of 3, by JayCeeBee64

User metadata
Rank Retired
Rank
Retired

I agree with firage, either card should work fine - and the GUS as well. It all depends on the games themselves.

Personally, I chose to go with the SBPro 2 on my P166MMX build for one good reason: Jill of the Jungle. The game's sound effects are terrible with my SB16 CT1750 (music is fine); here's an old thread that explains what the problem is:

Jill of the Jungle Sound Effects

The SBPro 2's reverse stereo is a nuisance, and is present in all outputs - digital, FM and CD audio. To make matters worse, the "reverse/swap channels" option in games only changes digital audio; FM and CD remain unchanged. Here's another thread that looks at this issue and has some possible solutions:

Reverse stereo on Sound Blaster Pro & compatibles

At least most games playable on a 486 have mono sound/music, which makes the reverse stereo problem somewhat inconsequential.

Ooohh, the pain......

Reply 3 of 3, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Thanks for the replies 😀

I'll go with the SB16. It was the new "hotstuff" for 92/93, so it makes sense.

I have several builds and I agree that the 486DX50 won't be able to play all the Gravis Ultrasound titles. Hopefully shock's reproduction will be available soon and I can get one more for my Socket 7 build 😀

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes