VOGONS

First post, by J3SteR727

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi all. I recently changed my CPU from a AMD 486 66MHz to a AMD 5x86 133MHz on my Tomato 4dps version 2.1 motherboard. I have Bios version 4.00A flashed and running fine. After I set the jumpers and booted my mouse no longer worked. It worked fine before and now nothing. I'm guessing maybe the mouse on the motherboard has died. It still supply's power and Ive tested with a optical mouse and it lights up. Is there a PCI mouse/keyboard card or something I can buy? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Reply 1 of 18, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

71NPGMEPZRL.gif

New PC: i9 12900K @5GHz all cores @1.2v. MSI PRO Z690-A. 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14. 3070Ti.
Old PC: Dual Xeon X5690@4.6GHz, EVGA SR-2, 48GB DDR3R@2000MHz, Intel X25-M. GTX 980ti.
Older PC: K6-3+ 400@600MHz, PC-Chips M577, 256MB SDRAM, AWE64, Voodoo Banshee.

Reply 3 of 18, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
J3SteR727 wrote:

Where can I buy that mouse at?

Here is a brand new Microsoft mouse with included serial adapter (the adapter do not work with other mice) in the US, not exactly cheap.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-Microsoft-Mouse … 9YAAMXQDnpTasU-

New PC: i9 12900K @5GHz all cores @1.2v. MSI PRO Z690-A. 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14. 3070Ti.
Old PC: Dual Xeon X5690@4.6GHz, EVGA SR-2, 48GB DDR3R@2000MHz, Intel X25-M. GTX 980ti.

Reply 4 of 18, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

busmous1.jpg

Go bus mouse for retro goodness! Then track down a serial printer for more pain.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 5 of 18, by J3SteR727

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ok I think I found a cheap Serial Mouse on Ebay im going to try. Few other issues im having.. Where can I get the PCI bracket with a serial adaptor on it for my motherboard. I bought one before and the connector did not match the pins on my motherboard. Need it for the Tomato 4dps v2.1. Also my keyboard has the Rollover issue where sometimes a key acts like it is stuck. Either the arrows or the shift key will do this. Whats a good keyboard to get??? AT or PS2 will work, I have tried 2 different ones with no luck..

Thanks a lot.

Reply 6 of 18, by Totempole

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PS-2-6-Pin-Mini-Din-F … moAAOSwHaBWhUV8

This will work with any PS/2 Ball mouse, just won't work with an Optical Mouse.

My Retro Gaming PC:
Pentium III 450MHz Katmai Slot 1
Transcend 256MB PC133
Gigabyte GA-6BXC
MSI Geforce 2 MX400 AGP
Ensoniq ES1371 PCI
Sound Blaster AWE64 ISA

Reply 7 of 18, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
J3SteR727 wrote:

Ok I think I found a cheap Serial Mouse on Ebay im going to try. Few other issues im having.. Where can I get the PCI bracket with a serial adaptor on it for my motherboard. I bought one before and the connector did not match the pins on my motherboard. Need it for the Tomato 4dps v2.1. Also my keyboard has the Rollover issue where sometimes a key acts like it is stuck. Either the arrows or the shift key will do this. Whats a good keyboard to get??? AT or PS2 will work, I have tried 2 different ones with no luck..

Thanks a lot.

There are two common wiring schemes for the serial port headers, you can probably rewire the cable on the bracket you have to match your header.

Someone here can probably tell you how the header on your board is wired.

Reply 8 of 18, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Totempole wrote:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PS-2-6-Pin-Mini-Din-F … moAAOSwHaBWhUV8

This will work with any PS/2 Ball mouse, just won't work with an Optical Mouse.

It will only work on PS/2 mice that can also negotiate a connection with a serial UART. That's not dependent on the mouse tracking mechanism.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 9 of 18, by Jolaes76

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If you can live without a scroll wheel yet do not like unreliable cursor movement and constant ball polishing... GO OPTICAL :

http://www.ebay.com/itm/D-Serial-Optical-3-Bu … 4kAAOSwv0tU-mln

"Ita in vita ut in lusu alae pessima iactura arte corrigenda est."

Reply 11 of 18, by Jolaes76

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Bang... everyone should learn reading again 😀

Mut nailed it right, this issue about the 4.00a bios was reported long ago by feipoa on the 4dps thread.

So simply go back to either 1.72f or the one modded by feipoa. Both can be downloaded from vogonsdrivers 😀

Reply 12 of 18, by PCBONEZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Did you check the fuse?

Fuse.jpg
Filename
Fuse.jpg
File size
84.96 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

GRUMPY OLD FART - On Hiatus, sort'a
Mann-Made Global Warming. - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.
You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.

Reply 13 of 18, by J3SteR727

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ugh this is frustrating... I now have a serial mouse and I bought a Startech serial port cable. Hook everything up and nothing, even if I connect the ribbon cable backward. Im sure it's probably a different pinout. Anyone know a serial cable I can buy that is confirmed working for this board? Or should I just get a ISA multi io card?

Reply 14 of 18, by J3SteR727

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Jolaes76 wrote:

Bang... everyone should learn reading again 😀

Mut nailed it right, this issue about the 4.00a bios was reported long ago by feipoa on the 4dps thread.

So simply go back to either 1.72f or the one modded by feipoa. Both can be downloaded from vogonsdrivers 😀

Aw damn totally missed this post doh. Now I feel stupid 🤣. Gonna get that modded bios. Thanks!

Reply 15 of 18, by J3SteR727

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ok maybe im blind, but I don't see feipoa's modded bios on the drivers site. There is the 4dps collection but that's it. That is the bios I used to flash to 4.00, was from that collection.

Reply 17 of 18, by J3SteR727

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Wow must apologize for my ignorance... Two of my PS/2 mouse wires were touching on the mobo connector. This was causing my keyboard not to work, Now with bios 1.72f everything works. Still would like to Flash to the Modded 4.00 bios if someone could please point me to the file. Thanks for all the help everyone...

Reply 18 of 18, by Jolaes76

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I suggest staying with the offical 1.72f or 1.72f without the funworld logo (this is feipoa's mod):

Re: Zida 4DPS

here is 4.00a (at the end of page 1) if you insist, but it will only bring you trouble, IMHO:

My first 5x86 build (also motherboard component level repair)

(I thought you would find all major versions in the 4DPS BIOS collection. My apologies. I think there is no fix or mod for the 4.00a BIOS yet. The guy who made 4.00a said -long ago- that he fixed the issues but that bugfixed version disappeared from the internet)