VOGONS

PSU - bust the myth

Topic actions

Reply 300 of 382, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You should be fine with a 700watter. Any modern 600+ should be able to handle that no problem. For budget supplies Iv been swearing by the EVGA units. They range from good to very good and tend to go on sale for low prices.

Main pc: Asus ROG 17. R9 5900HX, RTX 3070m, 16gb ddr4 3200, 1tb NVME.
Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1

Reply 301 of 382, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Anandtech's rig drew about 480W with an i7-920 running furmark. I think you'd want to look at the 550W to 600W range, minimum. EVGA would probably be a good option, as they seem to have very good performance, construction, and are highly price competitive.
http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDR … =Story&reid=380

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 302 of 382, by TELVM

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The GTX 480 alone draws about 320W @ full steam.

About whole system draw:

MTNl8Vw9.png
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-g … 80,2585-15.html

^ That's grinding Furmark on a X58 i7-980X system, i.e. worst case scenario on a rig hungrier than yours.

Thus any decent 550W PSU will provide ample of juice for your rig.

Some suggestions (not too cheap, not too expensive, all DC-DC & bronze or gold):

Antec VPF550

Bitfenix Whisper M 550

Corsair CX550M

EVGA Supernova G2 550W

Seasonic G 550

Let the air flow!

Reply 303 of 382, by Kadath

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks guys, I really appreciate your help - thanks for the useful info, I'll get one of these 550-600w models then.

First comes smiles,
then lies.
Last is gunfire.

Reply 304 of 382, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Any thoughts on this Pentium 4 era PSU?

I got give two boxes, one with parts inside, the other one is a BIN case! Both have the same PSU. Decent 5V Rail, so should be good for an Athlon XP build.

QsTEE6yl.jpg

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 305 of 382, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
PhilsComputerLab wrote:
Any thoughts on this Pentium 4 era PSU? […]
Show full quote

Any thoughts on this Pentium 4 era PSU?

I got give two boxes, one with parts inside, the other one is a BIN case! Both have the same PSU. Decent 5V Rail, so should be good for an Athlon XP build.

QsTEE6yl.jpg

I have a 300W model of the same PSU for my Celeron 1300 machine and I'm hunting down a 350-400W for an Athlon XP + 9800PRO machine; for the era you can't go wrong with Forton-Source FSP PSUs, they were THE top dog and the golden standard shitty PSUs got compared with in the AthlonXP era.

They are not quiet though. Don't believe the Noise Killer lie.

While I'm here I may as well ask this: How much power would a Pentium MMX + PCI Graphics Card + Voodoo 2 12MB draw? I am using this setup with a no name (well, it's branded Channel Well Technology but I guess that's another name for Useless Shit Haha) 230W PSU that came out of a (believe it or not) Celeron 1700 case, because to be frank as bad as it is (it's feather light) it probably isn't worse than anything we used back in 1995.. Am I asking for trouble here?

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 308 of 382, by TELVM

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
PhilsComputerLab wrote:
Any thoughts on this Pentium 4 era PSU? ... […]
Show full quote

Any thoughts on this Pentium 4 era PSU? ...

QsTEE6yl.jpg

Found some pics of its guts here.

05.jpg

Old style half-bridge with BJTs, passive PFC and group regulation. All or most caps are Teapo (could be much worse). Looks decently built though the heatsinks are a bit skinny.

If the caps and fan are OK should be fine to power retrocomps.

appiah4 wrote:

How much power would a Pentium MMX + PCI Graphics Card + Voodoo 2 12MB draw?

Probably not even 100W DC.

Let the air flow!

Reply 309 of 382, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
TELVM wrote:

[

Old style half-bridge with BJTs, passive PFC and group regulation. All or most caps are Teapo (could be much worse). Looks decently built though the heatsinks are a bit skinny.

If the caps and fan are OK should be fine to power retrocomps.

Thank you!

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 310 of 382, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I can't see if the input filter includes a MOV or TVS diode which is important in this case due to a lack of APFC.

Reply 311 of 382, by TELVM

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

From this pic of a 400PNR there are probably two small MOVs (yellow thing drapped in black heatshrink) between the bulk caps:

qQiL8H8o.jpg
http://tokes.ru/bloki-pitaniya/38-remont-fsp-atx-400pnr

^ One DM311 PWM controller for +5VSB can also be seen, so no 2-transistor sweat.

Let the air flow!

Reply 312 of 382, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I'm not entirely sure what revisions were made with the PNR as the rail capacities were substantially different from the PN. I hope the input filtering is complete, as it's always good to have more options for +5V heavy loads.

Reply 314 of 382, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yes, using a PWM controller makes the 5VSB design much safer in the face of failing caps.

Reply 315 of 382, by TELVM

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

PWM chip is safer than 2-transistor, but FUBAR crappy caps will ruin the day anyways.

The Antec SL300 in this post mortem had a UC3844B PWM controller on +5VSB, and yet:

"... With only the old 680µF Fuhjyyu caps, the 5VSB output settles around 5V, is horribly noisy and shows horrible power-up transients peaking at up to 16V (clearly no good for capacitors rated only for 10V) ..."

"... When all of the capacitors on a flyback power supply's outputs have failed, there is little left standing in the way of flyback operation generating high voltage spikes and destroying components ..."

elod wrote:

I remember the caps blowing on the 5vsb line in these supplies right after the 2 year warranty ...

^ That's the kinf of hard earned wisdom that screams RECAP!!!.

For retrocomps with dubious caps onboard the PSU (aged or crappy) that are used only occasionally, I'd switch the PSU off whenever the comp is turned off. +5VSB circuit is always live whenever ATX PSU is plugged to wall and switched on (regardless of comp turned off), so +5VSB caps are always receiving juice, ripple and heat (with the added 'bonus' that PSU fan is stopped and moving no air). Switching off PSU whenever comp is turned off spares them a ton of stress.

If we also unplug PSU from wall whenever comp is turned off, we'll get full protection from storms (barring a bullseye direct lightning strike that sets our home on fire).

Let the air flow!

Reply 317 of 382, by TELVM

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Couple of examples to illustrate the point.

Barely passable cheap PSU with Junk Fu & Su'scam crap all around the secondary, with one single exception, this Chemicon KY:

Xx9hHVVm.png

It's the first filtering cap downstream from the +5VSB trafo. Even on this cheap PSU the engineers wisely resisted the temptation of penny-pinching on this particular cap.

Good PSU with Seasonic guts:

WAV37Bhi.png

That humungous grossly oversized 4700uF is the largest cap in the whole secondary, it's almost as large as the +5VSB trafo. Why? The larger the can, the higher the ripple tolerance and the heat dissipation of the capacitor == the longer the life == the lesser the chance of a ran amok +5VSB barbecuing the southbridge and murdering the mobo.

Let the air flow!

Reply 319 of 382, by PcBytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
PCBONEZ wrote:
All the Antec Smart-(whatever) and True-(whatever) models were loaded with Fuhjyyu. Others were too. Just don't recall them. . T […]
Show full quote
TELVM wrote:

HOWEVER be advised that the Phantoms (like other Antecs of that time) were stuffed full of Fuhjyyu crapacitors, amongst the worst and less reliable junk ever laid inside a PSU, which after more than a decade shouldn't be relied upon (to put it softly).

Antec Phantom 500 ruined by Fuhjyyu crapacitors

All the Antec Smart-(whatever) and True-(whatever) models were loaded with Fuhjyyu.
Others were too. Just don't recall them.
These are old pics I took 5-10 years ago.

TP2-550.jpg
TP2-550EPS12V_.jpg

I saw some of these. Still can't understand why people chose to throw them away instead of recapping them. Honestly,I recapped FSP and other units with caps in harder spots than that,and with bigger diameters when I didn't have the same diameter of caps I had to replace.

"Enter at your own peril, past the bolted door..."
Main PC: i5 3470, GB B75M-D3H, 16GB RAM, 2x1TB
98SE : P3 650, Soyo SY-6BA+IV, 384MB RAM, 80GB