VOGONS

First post, by HighTreason

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Not really sure if this should be in the "Releases" Sub-Forum, but as I was aiming exclusively at old systems I thought it fit better here. If the mods/admins don't agree then by all means move it.

SUITE_001.png

This tool offers an easy-to-use menu system for running several popular benchmarks and tools (See picture for included software) and maintains compatible scores with another very similar utility. I think the whole thing is pretty self-explanatory so I'll go right to providing the download links;

Downloads

- https://www.mediafire.com/?z25alkfpnf0gp5b
MS-DOS Installer - Useful for burning to a CD or something as you can run the installer on a DOS system, no need to play with command line parameters or PKUNZIP. You will need a new machine to open the 7Z file though as the installer is made up of three files. I have no idea who wrote the installer or where it is from, I've been using it for years and suspect the author doesn't care.

- https://www.mediafire.com/?ii8qs1i7whd42es
ZIP Version - Contains the suite without an installer. Extract it to a directory on the DOS machine you want to test out. I suspect this thing also works in Windows but I have never tried to do that.

Version

This is version 1.00 R (Or 1.01 R) and is the first proper release. A brief version history exists in the README.

Future plans are to add more tools and a tabbed menu to allow access to some expanded features. At that stage this version (Or a fixed version if major bugs appear) will still be around as "Suite Lite" and the new version would be "Suite Max" or something, I was tempted to try kludging a Windows tool together which was similar but this will probably never happen.

Bugs

In what little testing I did, I found that running LANDMARK sometimes causes text output to be redirected to PRN, forcing the menu into an infinite loop. CTRL-BREAK probably won't fix it and you will have to restart the computer if this happens. As yet, I don't know why it does this and only saw the problem on one of the three systems I tested with. Otherwise, I can't find anything seriously wrong. If you find a bug let me know and I will try to fix it for the next release.

Technical Crap

From a technical perspective this thing isn't very impressive and I wrote it for fun, it is little more than a glorified batch file. The menu makes use of NNANSI, an ANSI driver for MS-DOS. This driver is un-loaded before running a benchmark and upon exiting the program. NNANSI will not be loaded if an existing ANSI driver is found in memory, this existing ANSI driver will not be un-loaded. A notice will display the first time you run the suite which should display green text two lines of color at the bottom (One solid, one dotted). If the color isn't working and/or you can see garbage (Probably numbers and brackets) on the screen, press X until you are kicked out to the MS-DOS prompt, unless by some miracle the menu is still usable - this bug ins't likely to occur but if it does you probably have an incompatible ANSI driver loaded.

The .ANS files contain the various menu states for the utility. I may integrate them into the main program in a later release.

SUITE.CFG currently only exists to control the notice when you first run the utility. Said notice only appears if SUITE.CFG is not present, this file may contain configuration information in later versions however.

README.TXT is what it says, I am unsure if I should give this a persistent hotkey in the menu as you currently can't access help from there.

There are a few stupid things hidden in the menu and some outside of it, I wonder if anyone will find them. Anyone familiar with my way of "coding" will probably know what to expect.

Originally, keys were remapped to arrows and enter. I decided against this as some ANSI drivers don't permit this and if the menu crashed, you would be left having to restart the computer or remap the keys to their normal function manually, something people aren't usually familiar with. Therefore I chose to use an FPS-like layout. Numerical keys are intended to serve for the menu tabs in the future.

Note, this utility was born from boredom some time ago - last year some time - so I expect it to be as reliable as anything written simply for fun in a short time frame. I also wasn't keen on repeatedly advertising a channel which cold-shouldered me in my own YouTube videos so it was never meant to appear outside of those. Originally I never planned to release it and I also ran into problems not long after starting work on it, they only got fixed when the solution to these problems popped into my head a little while ago. I suppose I have to say that I can't make any guarantees that it will work as desired and whilst I am 99.99% confident it won't break anything, you are on your own if it does... In short, if I missed a problem and it sets your desk on fire, I am not to be held responsible.

My Youtube - My Let's Plays - SoundCloud - My FTP (Drivers and more)