VOGONS

First post, by johnnynismo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Howdy folks,

I have a nifty 386DX-20 w/387 that has 14MB of ram, an XGA-2 graphics card, and a SCSI w/cache SCSI adapter with a 50-pin edge connector. Unfortunately it has no hard drive as Goodwill is required to remove them. The system also has no 4-pin MOLEX power so I can power a regular 50-pin SCSI drive! I have no idea how the previous drive could have even worked.

Have any of you had experience with this and know of a solution?

Thanks for your help.

Reply 1 of 12, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If your PSU doesn't have Molex's then what connectors does it have?

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 2 of 12, by johnnynismo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Tetrium wrote:

If your PSU doesn't have Molex's then what connectors does it have?

NO KIDDING! These model IBMs have this proprietary board that has the power and data in these slots. They also don't have ISA, VLB, or PCI slots...but MCA slots (PCI's predecessor). It's all very weird but kinda cool.

s-l1600.jpg

Reply 4 of 12, by GL1zdA

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You need a DBA drive, it will draw power from its custom connector. I've bought 5 DBA drives (3 in PS/2s) to find one, that is working. There's also a MCA SCSI controller with a molex connector if you want http://ps-2.kev009.com/ohlandl/SCSI/MCS.html#MCS-600_700 .

getquake.gif | InfoWorld/PC Magazine Indices

Reply 5 of 12, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
PeterLI wrote:

Welcome to the difficulties of IBM PS/2. 🤣

Looks like it's another IBM-incompatible IBM 🤣!

Report spammers here!

Reply 6 of 12, by johnnynismo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

There has to be a solution. This thing came with a SCSI hard drive with a 50-pin connector. Goodwill jacked the drive and whatever adapter it came with. I appreciate your jokes but I really would also like a solution.

Thanks

Reply 9 of 12, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have a few of these hard drives sitting on my shelf. I have NOT tested them yet, but I think i might do so this weekend.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 10 of 12, by 386_junkie

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Good point!

I am pretty much at this bridge just now with a Model 80 upgrade / restore mod, luckily though... there are molex connectors with the 80.

Regards to your system, and if you are intent on using a standard SCSI drive with molex connection... a DIY mod sounds like the way to go. Can you solder?

If so it should be an easy mod to make... just locate the trunk PSU cable that goes to the motherboard. Open the PSU (not as daunting as it sounds) and find the source of the trunk cable. Patch (solder) a single cable coming from the 5v DC line, one from the 12v DC, and two from common (ground). Thread all 4 of them through into the chassis and attach a connector. This as someone suggested earlier would be easier if you just butcher a set of cables with a connector already on it from another PSU and thread it through from the chassis into the PSU.

Once you've done this, you can get splitters and have many 4-pin molex connections by using a splitter from the single one you've made.

All the best!

Compaq Systempro; EISA Dual 386 ¦ Compaq Junkiepro; EISA Dual 386 ¦ ALR Powerpro; EISA Dual 386

EISA Graphic Cards ¦ EISA Graphic Card Benchmarks

Reply 11 of 12, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
johnnynismo wrote:

There has to be a solution. This thing came with a SCSI hard drive with a 50-pin connector. Goodwill jacked the drive and whatever adapter it came with. I appreciate your jokes but I really would also like a solution.

Thanks

Yup, either solder a molex or (if possible) get an adapter, though I don't know if such adapters actually exist right now.

edit:
Using an adapter would imo be the preferred solution btw, would be more neat as one can swap dedicated adapters around at will instead of having to desolder it.

Last edited by Tetrium on 2016-01-30, 10:55. Edited 1 time in total.

Report spammers here!

Reply 12 of 12, by GL1zdA

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
johnnynismo wrote:

Thanks

Look at my previous post. This is the adapter you are looking for.

getquake.gif | InfoWorld/PC Magazine Indices