VOGONS

First post, by ElBrunzy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

What are they ?

Someone gave me an amiga1200, and before I reduce it to dust, I've saw that protracker had a section for instruments. Are they like PC's IT instruments ? Are they when you get a blizzard midi soundcard? Are they for comodore SID chip ?

Anyone know ?

ps : I've build my pc mod chip collection from aminet.net. I've deleted something like four files out of five because they didnt hold samples or produce music at all. Where they "instrument" music from protracter ?

Reply 1 of 9, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Protracker is a tracker program, and is using the *.MOD file extension.
The "mod" files, contain samples/instruments.
And those can be exported to independent files.

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 2 of 9, by NightSprinter

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Pretty much, except ProTracker (and the various trackers modeled after it) don't have "instruments" per-se. In reality, they load in samples to memory from disk. These samples are usually 8-bit mono samples, recorded anywhere up to 22kHz.

Also, shame you're going to "turn the Amiga 1200 to dust". I'm sure there's definitely someone who'd want it.

Reply 3 of 9, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
NightSprinter wrote:

These samples are usually 8-bit mono samples, recorded anywhere up to 22kHz.

8363hz is usually the base frequency for them, IIRC, and they are limited in size (127kb IIRC?)

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 5 of 9, by Scali

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
NightSprinter wrote:

These samples are usually 8-bit mono samples

They always are. That's all that ProTracker supports.
And indeed, there is a size limit of 128K, I believe. The reason is that the sample position register is only 16-bit, and samples are addressed per 16-bit word, so you have 65536 words, totaling 128KB.

http://scalibq.wordpress.com/just-keeping-it- … ro-programming/

Reply 6 of 9, by Jepael

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

As others have said, they are just mono PCM samples in 8-bit signed format, length up to 128k (minus two bytes, as maximum is 65535 words).
What makes them "instruments" is the fact that you can specify a sample volume, sample loop points and note pitch fine tune values (in addition to a sample name).

IIRC, the "funny" base sampling rate for a 261.6 Hz C-2 note (actually C-4 on a piano) comes from some programming examples, where a 32-sample sine wave was played at 261.6 Hz, and this note required the sound hardware period value to be set to nearest integer value of 428, and 3579545 (sound chip clock for NTSC Amiga) divided by period value 428 is 8363.4 Hz. Those programming example values for notes were just used as is in mod players.

Drum samples were usually played with higher notes than C-2, maybe at note A-3, because it was the highest standard note the DMA hardware could play back without skipping samples.
I think by using finetune to speed up a bit it's still possible to play samples a bit faster without skipping, maybe up to A-3 with finetune +3.

Reply 7 of 9, by brassicGamer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Jepael wrote:
As others have said, they are just mono PCM samples in 8-bit signed format, length up to 128k (minus two bytes, as maximum is 65 […]
Show full quote

As others have said, they are just mono PCM samples in 8-bit signed format, length up to 128k (minus two bytes, as maximum is 65535 words).
What makes them "instruments" is the fact that you can specify a sample volume, sample loop points and note pitch fine tune values (in addition to a sample name).

IIRC, the "funny" base sampling rate for a 261.6 Hz C-2 note (actually C-4 on a piano) comes from some programming examples, where a 32-sample sine wave was played at 261.6 Hz, and this note required the sound hardware period value to be set to nearest integer value of 428, and 3579545 (sound chip clock for NTSC Amiga) divided by period value 428 is 8363.4 Hz. Those programming example values for notes were just used as is in mod players.

Drum samples were usually played with higher notes than C-2, maybe at note A-3, because it was the highest standard note the DMA hardware could play back without skipping samples.
I think by using finetune to speed up a bit it's still possible to play samples a bit faster without skipping, maybe up to A-3 with finetune +3.

I did tracking for years without knowing any of this - very handy from a programming point of view, thanks!

Yes, my understanding of instruments is that it's the result of manipulating a sample e.g. you can multiple 'instruments' made from a single 'sample' taking into account different offsets, volume envelopes, etc. which is pretty much what everyone else has said anyway. On the PC, Scream Tracker 3 didn't support instruments IIRC, but Impulse Tracker did. I remember getting used to the idea - it changed everything about my compositions!

Oh and I'm definitely interested in any Amiga that's being disposed of, if that what was meant. 😀

Check out my blog and YouTube channel for thoughts, articles, system profiles, and tips.

Reply 9 of 9, by ElBrunzy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Jeael so many interesting things you say into your post! Are you trying to steal my thread? 😉 I think the last time I heard someone talk about sample frenquency he was talking about the nyquist frequency.

brassicGamer: I would be very glad to give you the amiga trash for free, you will have to pay the shipping fee tho. I can give you precise shot of parts if you want and tell you some more stuff that it does crazy thing on boot, like screenflicker then completely purple... or continuous loop on the floppy at powerup. Dont expect anything from it, but if you want it, it's your. I'm from Quebec/Canada .. should I sayd it's an NTSC version... damn I bite my finger for blowing it up...

also... I see that I was not specific at all about what my question was. On pc dos, an instrument was anything, unlike a sample. So, players that know how to deal with an opl, opl3 for instance, where able to make sound with "midi" info like porta carrier and such math instruction. Also there was that very popular interpretation of an instrument from ImpulseTracker2.14 where an instrument got some adsr envelope stuff and the player should decide where the sample be player on what channel. I was wondering what was it about that "instrument" just under the PLAY button http://xmp.sourceforge.net/gallery/octamed-2.00.png

sorry I meant octamed and not protracker