VOGONS

First post, by saturday_sun

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello!

I'm building/renovating a 486 computer and I have a question about turbo switch pins.

The turbo switch on the case is using three pins, it has a LED display at the front that works with the turbo button and also an ordinary red LED (and the motherboard have two pins for TB LED). The motherboard has only two pins for turbo switch. Is this common for 486 motherboards? Do I have to live without the nice LED display showing the ("turbo") speed?

The motherboard is from another computer since the original motherboard is damaged.

EDIT: I'm talking about Turbo Switch pins, not LED. Corrected now. The motherboard is a MV035 REV.D. (OPTi).

IMG_6134.JPG

Best regards,
saturday

Last edited by saturday_sun on 2016-02-03, 22:48. Edited 4 times in total.

My computer

Reply 1 of 6, by alexanrs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Are you sure its the LED that has three pins, and not the button? LEDs only have two contacts (they are just diodes), so if it's got three wires then it might be something more elaborate. Please post pictures of it.

Reply 3 of 6, by alexanrs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Oh, you don't have to plug all three wires at the same time. Depending on how you plug it the meaning of the button changes - default on or default off.

Basically, one of those wires (the middle pin on the button itself) should always be connected to the motherboard, and then you can pair it with one of the others - one being the default closed contact and the other being the default open one. Depending of the one you plug it will turn on the turbo when the button is pressed, and the other one will turn on the turbo function when it is not pressed. I've seen cases where two wires are lumped together in the same 2-contact connector, and the third one is hanging. If that is your case just plug the ones that are together to the motherboard.

Reply 4 of 6, by saturday_sun

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
alexanrs wrote:

Oh, you don't have to plug all three wires at the same time. Depending on how you plug it the meaning of the button changes - default on or default off.

Basically, one of those wires (the middle pin on the button itself) should always be connected to the motherboard, and then you can pair it with one of the others - one being the default closed contact and the other being the default open one. Depending of the one you plug it will turn on the turbo when the button is pressed, and the other one will turn on the turbo function when it is not pressed. I've seen cases where two wires are lumped together in the same 2-contact connector, and the third one is hanging. If that is your case just plug the ones that are together to the motherboard.

The thing is that I would like the LED Display (showing 66/33) to work aswell. I guess the third wire is for that purpose?

EDIT: I guess I can tweak to get it working, but I have no PSU here at the moment, so I'm stuck with guessing... 😀

My computer

Reply 5 of 6, by alexanrs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Nope, the panel is wired directly to the button (if you unscrew the case's front panel you'll see that). If your case is anything like mine you'll have to plug the LED panel to the PSU and then change the jumpers on the LED display itself to change what it will display when it is the button is pressed or not.

Reply 6 of 6, by saturday_sun

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
alexanrs wrote:

Nope, the panel is wired directly to the button (if you unscrew the case's front panel you'll see that). If your case is anything like mine you'll have to plug the LED panel to the PSU and then change the jumpers on the LED display itself to change what it will display when it is the button is pressed or not.

OK! Thanks for your help!

My computer