VOGONS

Win 98/ME USB issue

Topic actions

First post, by Timecop1983

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Recently I decided to use the USB ports on my computer. I bought a 4GB memory stick, which I tried to connect the windows 98.

I have installed the Generic USB Mass Storage Device Driver (NUSB 3.3 available at http://www.mdgx.com/spx/NUSB.EXE). The device was datected (Sony USB mass storage) and I was able to read (see) the contect of USB stick, but I was unable to copy anything onto HDD. The activity LED of flash drive blinked, but the copy progress dialog did not appear . Destination file was created, but had a size 0kb.

So I decided to use Windows ME. I didn't need to install the Generic USB Mass Storage Device Driver on this system. The device was detected and I was able to read (see) and copy the files, but only the small files (about 10MB). When I try to copy larger file then after some time there is error displayed (file not available). Drive assigned to the unit for a moment disappear and appear again, but then you can only see the contents and device's LED is blinking all the time. The device is usable again after system restart. It is possible to copy files again, but only small ones.

Could someone advise how to solve this issue. Is this a software or hardware issue?

Reply 1 of 25, by adalbert

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I tried installing that NUSB driver but it messes with system files too much. I just use driver from this website: http://toastytech.com/files/cruzerwin95.html

it works with every USB drive I tried. Just plug the stick and select INF file with driver. Next time devices should be installed automatically.

Repair/electronic stuff videos: https://www.youtube.com/c/adalbertfix
ISA Wi-fi + USB in T3200SXC: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WX30t3lYezs
GUI programming for Windows 3.11 (the easy way): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6L272OApVg

Reply 2 of 25, by kixs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Try to confirm that the USB stick is actually working OK on a newer system. Many cheap USB sticks are fake and have problems writing/reading from it.

Requests are also possible... /msg kixs

Reply 3 of 25, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Im using this older version of the USB package, it has worked with every old Socket-7 motherboard (with USB) I have tried it on so far! 😀

Filename
nusb24e.exe
File size
649 KiB
Downloads
878 downloads
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

You might need to insert the USB stick twice after installing and rebooting as the detection of USB sticks can be a bit slow the first time on some systems.

New PC: i9 12900K @5GHz all cores @1.2v. MSI PRO Z690-A. 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14. 3070Ti.
Old PC: Dual Xeon X5690@4.6GHz, EVGA SR-2, 48GB DDR3R@2000MHz, Intel X25-M. GTX 980ti.
Older PC: K6-3+ 400@600MHz, PC-Chips M577, 256MB SDRAM, AWE64, Voodoo Banshee.

Reply 4 of 25, by Timecop1983

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
kixs wrote:

Try to confirm that the USB stick is actually working OK on a newer system. Many cheap USB sticks are fake and have problems writing/reading from it.

USB stick is working on other, newer systems. There's nothing wrong with USB stick. It's genuine Sony bought at Sony Center.

Reply 5 of 25, by Timecop1983

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
adalbert wrote:

I tried installing that NUSB driver but it messes with system files too much. I just use driver from this website: http://toastytech.com/files/cruzerwin95.html

it works with every USB drive I tried. Just plug the stick and select INF file with driver. Next time devices should be installed automatically.

Does it work also with Windows ME ?

Reply 6 of 25, by Marquzz

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Sometimes you can't let Win98 install the drivers automatically, you have to pick the correct one yourself as the USB-drive driver package often contains more than one driver.

Reply 7 of 25, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Could it be possibly something to do with the new USB stick having problems with pre-USB 2.0 ports?
If you happen to have an XP rig which still has some USB 1.1 ports to rule out if it's a hardware issue (in this case it won't work in any USB 1.1 port, no matter what OS you use) or a software issue (if it works in XP, then it might be related to something about 9x in general).
The large file you were trying to copy from the USB drive...it wasn't larger than 2GB? Iiuc the older 32 bit OS's had some issues with files exceeding 2GB.

Other than that, I don't know

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 8 of 25, by Zup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Did you try to install the USB port drivers? I remember that my VIA USB card did not work reliably unless VIA drivers were installed.

I have traveled across the universe and through the years to find Her.
Sometimes going all the way is just a start...

I'm selling some stuff!

Reply 9 of 25, by Timecop1983

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Tetrium wrote:

Could it be possibly something to do with the new USB stick having problems with pre-USB 2.0 ports?
If you happen to have an XP rig which still has some USB 1.1 ports to rule out if it's a hardware issue (in this case it won't work in any USB 1.1 port, no matter what OS you use) or a software issue (if it works in XP, then it might be related to something about 9x in general).

Maybe I will try to install other operating system (Windows 2000, Windows XP, ...) just to check if the USB stick is working fine with these USB ports.

The large file you were trying to copy from the USB drive...it wasn't larger than 2GB? Iiuc the older 32 bit OS's had some issues with files exceeding 2GB. Other than that, I don't know

The files are not that large. Thank you anyway.

Reply 11 of 25, by Sammy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

maybe the stick has a weak connection?

On 1 of my PCs the usb stick is not working when fully inserted, only Leds are Lightning.

I have to pull it 1 millimeters back to make electrical connection.

Reply 13 of 25, by brotalnia

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

You don't need third party drivers to use flash drives in Windows 98. The default Microsoft driver works fine, you just have to insert the Windows 98 installation cd when it ask you for drivers and it'll find it there.

Reply 14 of 25, by hyoenmadan

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
brotalnia wrote:

You don't need third party drivers to use flash drives in Windows 98. The default Microsoft driver works fine, you just have to insert the Windows 98 installation cd when it ask you for drivers and it'll find it there.

Incorrect. Win98 doesn't support the USB mass storage device class by default, required for flash drivers to work in a generic way, so you need to provide vendor drivers,which will add the support, but in a per-vendor/per-device fashion.
From Win9x OS family, only Windows ME has support built in for UMS, and will recognize flash drives without 3rd party drivers.

Reply 15 of 25, by brotalnia

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
hyoenmadan wrote:
brotalnia wrote:

Incorrect. Win98 doesn't support the USB mass storage device class by default, required for flash drivers to work in a generic way, so you need to provide vendor drivers,which will add the support, but in a per-vendor/per-device fashion.
From Win9x OS family, only Windows ME has support built in for UMS, and will recognize flash drives without 3rd party drivers.

So i am imagining things and the hundreds of times i've transferred files to my windows 98 pc through usb didn't actually happen? Go try it yourself! Do a clean install of Windows 98, insert a flash drive and tell it to search for drivers on the installation cd. It finds a driver, installs it and works. No need to download anything.

Reply 16 of 25, by alexanrs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Been there, done that. It never worked for me. I either had to install NUSB3.3 or use 98SE2ME to transplant ME's drivers into Windows 98 - neither of which is very straightforward when I wanted to keep my installs in PT-BR. I believe those are also included with the Unofficial Service Pack.

Reply 17 of 25, by Malvineous

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

@brotalnia: You might have just been lucky that the USB sticks you were using had drivers that shipped with Windows, but looking around on Google, most people aren't so lucky.

I guess you could edit the .inf files for some of the drivers to make them work with other devices, but I did find this mass storage class driver from Microsoft for 98SE, except it's source only so you have to compile it yourself. I wonder whether anyone has the 98DDK set up to try it out? If it works they could distribute the compiled driver to make the process easier.

Reply 18 of 25, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Those having problems with NUSB3.3 should try NUSB24e (linked in my last post).

New PC: i9 12900K @5GHz all cores @1.2v. MSI PRO Z690-A. 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14. 3070Ti.
Old PC: Dual Xeon X5690@4.6GHz, EVGA SR-2, 48GB DDR3R@2000MHz, Intel X25-M. GTX 980ti.
Older PC: K6-3+ 400@600MHz, PC-Chips M577, 256MB SDRAM, AWE64, Voodoo Banshee.

Reply 19 of 25, by hyoenmadan

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Malvineous wrote:

@brotalnia: You might have just been lucky that the USB sticks you were using had drivers that shipped with Windows, but looking around on Google, most people aren't so lucky.

This. Win98 has a few set of drivers for some USB mass storage chipsets, but it doesn't support this class in a generic way. Many new pendrives will not work with these old drivers.

WinME, by contrary, has generic support for the USB MS class.