VOGONS

Win 98/ME USB issue

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 25, by Timecop1983

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
brotalnia wrote:

You don't need third party drivers to use flash drives in Windows 98. The default Microsoft driver works fine, you just have to insert the Windows 98 installation cd when it ask you for drivers and it'll find it there.

In my case it is not a software issue. I have installed the Windows XP on the same machine and the USB stick behave the same. On the other machine (witch USB2.0/3.0) the stick is working just fine. So I believe it is just incompatibility of my (new) USB stick with (old) USB ports on motherboard 🙁

Reply 21 of 25, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
hyoenmadan wrote:

WinME, by contrary, has generic support for the USB MS class.

Which can be back-ported into Win98 (or at least 98SE), can't it? I recall doing some voodoo to get it to work (probably installing that NUSB thing), and after that I never needed a driver for a USB flash drive.

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 22 of 25, by tayyare

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I had never any problems with Windows 98 SE and NUSB 3.3. The devices that I use are as follows:

- Three different generations of Sandisk Cruzer flash disks (2-8GB)
- Kingston Travelmate 2GB flash disk
- A couple of very cheap Chinese flash disks (2-16GB)
- A couple of promotional (=cheap Chinese) flash disks (2-8GB)
- An old Dazzle 6 in 1 card reader and SM, SD, CF cards (both branded and noname) that I used on it (64MB-16GB).
- A much modern Digitus multi card reader and SD, SDHC, CF cards (both branded and noname) that I used on it (512MB -16GB).
- A couple of noname USB hubs
- A noname DIY USB HDD case (converts IDE drives to USB external drives) with 120GB and 200GB (two partitions) HDD in it.

GA-6VTXE PIII 1.4+512MB
Geforce4 Ti 4200 64MB
Diamond Monster 3D 12MB SLI
SB AWE64 PNP+32MB
120GB IDE Samsung/80GB IDE Seagate/146GB SCSI Compaq/73GB SCSI IBM
Adaptec AHA29160
3com 3C905B-TX
Gotek+CF Reader
MSDOS 6.22+Win 3.11/95 OSR2.1/98SE/ME/2000

Reply 23 of 25, by PCBONEZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Timecop1983 wrote:
brotalnia wrote:

You don't need third party drivers to use flash drives in Windows 98. The default Microsoft driver works fine, you just have to insert the Windows 98 installation cd when it ask you for drivers and it'll find it there.

In my case it is not a software issue. I have installed the Windows XP on the same machine and the USB stick behave the same. On the other machine (witch USB2.0/3.0) the stick is working just fine. So I believe it is just incompatibility of my (new) USB stick with (old) USB ports on motherboard 🙁

What is the USB chip on the motherboard?

GRUMPY OLD FART - On Hiatus, sort'a
Mann-Made Global Warming. - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.
You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.

Reply 25 of 25, by hyoenmadan

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
dr_st wrote:

Which can be back-ported into Win98 (or at least 98SE), can't it? I recall doing some voodoo to get it to work (probably installing that NUSB thing), and after that I never needed a driver for a USB flash drive.

Yes, i never said the contrary. But that requires you install the extra "magic voodo" in your Win98 OS. He was saying that Win98 supports the USB mass storage class in the same way as WinME "out-of-the-box", which isn't true.