VOGONS

First post, by brotalnia

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I bought a Voodoo 2 and installed it in my computer along with my Voodoo 3 AGP for greater compatibility, but i am having a problem with the drivers. Before physically installing the new card i uninstalled the Voodoo 3 drivers and switched to the standard vga driver. After i installed the Voodoo 2 and turned on my computer a message appeared saying "New hardware found; PCI Multimedia Video Device" after which the Add New Hardware Wizard starts.

The first page says this:

This wizard searhes for new drivers for:

PCI Multimedia Video Device

A device driver is a software program that makes a hardware device work.

I click on Next here and then the next page gives me two options:

What do you want Windows to do?

( ) Search for the best driver for your device (Recommended).

( ) Display a list of all the drivers in a specific location, so you can select the driver you want.

I select the first option and click Next and then it gives me several options:

Windows will search for new drivers in it's driver database on your hard drive, and in any of the following selected locations. […]
Show full quote

Windows will search for new drivers in it's driver database on your hard drive, and in any of the following selected locations. Click next to start the search.

[ ] Floppy disk drives.

[ ] CD-ROM Drive

[ ] Microsoft Windows Update

[ ] Specify a location:

I put a check mark only on the last option and browse to the directory that i extracted the drivers in, which is C:\voodoo2. When i click on Next i get the following:

Windows was unable to find a driver for this device.

If you do not want to install a driver now, click Next.

To search again, click Back.

I tried with several different driver versions from falconfly but there's no difference. I also tried manually clicking on voodoo2.inf and selecting Install but that also does nothing. Any ideas what the problem is? Am i doing something wrong? I have Windows 98 SE and i am downloading drivers for this os.

Also will games work on the v2 if i just copy the dll files from the v2 driver folder and only actually install the v3 drivers?

Update: I selected "Display a list of all the drivers in a specific location, so you can select the driver you want." instead, then chose "Sound, video and game controllers", selected 3DFX, clicked on Have Disk and navigated to the voodoo2 driver folder, it warned me that this driver was not written specifically for my device but i clicked next anyway and it installed, but now i get this error when windows starts - "_GlideInitEvironment: glide2x.dll expected Voodoo^2, none detected". Could the card be broken? I have the passthrough cable installed and the monitor is connected to the voodoo 2, so i dunno how am i even getting anything on the screen if it's dead.

Reply 1 of 5, by kanecvr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You can sometimes get "GlideInitEvironment: glide2x.dll expected Voodoo^2, none detected" when the card is damaged. Check the card carefully. Look for bent shorting pins on the 3dfx chips or missing SMD ceramic capacitors (the tiny brown/orange bits). If one is missing you'll now since it's metallic ends will still be on the PCB.

Reply 2 of 5, by brotalnia

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I took out the card to inspect it, didn't see anything unusual, decided to put it an a different pci slot just in case and it turned out that fixed it! I also discovered that the $1 made in china vga passthrough cable i bought is complete sh*t cause i can see shadows all over the screen. There are like 4 other transparent mouses behind my mouse cursor.

Reply 3 of 5, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Sounds like the DAC filter is screwing up. I've seen that effect happen on Voodoo3's Svideo out in 720x480 sometimes when the 4x1 filter didn't process with that hacked resolution properly.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 4 of 5, by SRQ

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
brotalnia wrote:

I took out the card to inspect it, didn't see anything unusual, decided to put it an a different pci slot just in case and it turned out that fixed it! I also discovered that the $1 made in china vga passthrough cable i bought is complete sh*t cause i can see shadows all over the screen. There are like 4 other transparent mouses behind my mouse cursor.

A VGA extension cable is the same thing, find a high quality one and slap that in until you can find a proper first-party passthrough.

Reply 5 of 5, by Gamecollector

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
brotalnia wrote:

I took out the card to inspect it, didn't see anything unusual, decided to put it an a different pci slot just in case and it turned out that fixed it!

Yes, some Voodoo2 cards have this *censored* behavior. They work ok then you get this "none detected" message. But if you just remove then insert the card (even in the same PCI slot) - it will work ok again.
Use Voodoo2 by copying Voodoo2 glide2x.dll/glide3x.dll in the game .exe directory? Yes, you can but there are some troubles. 1st - Voodoo2 drivers create some keys in the registry (HKLM\Software/3dfx Interactive/Voodoo2, Environment variables mostly). Just install Voodoo2 drivers then Voodoo3 drivers. 2nd (WinNT kernel OSs) - I'm not sure Voodoo3 miniport (3dfxvsm.sys) will initialize Voodoo2 properly. So you must install Voodoo2 drivers first for fxgpio.sys, fxptl.sys and ntremap.sys. 3rd - some games need tweaks.

Asus P4P800 SE/Pentium4 3.2E/2 Gb DDR400B,
Radeon HD3850 Agp (Sapphire), Catalyst 14.4 (XpProSp3).
Voodoo2 12 MB SLI, Win2k drivers 1.02.00 (XpProSp3).