VOGONS

First post, by florianix

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Started to dig out old hardware to build some 'new' retro machines.

For the first builds, I planned to use some ASUS P3C-D dual-processor boards (have five of them).

Here is the problem: All of the boards but one don't boot. No video signal.
Same for one already assembled computer that used to be working some years ago didn't start any more.

That's what I tried so far:
- Exchanged all of the batteries (remember that those boards can't be switched on without a working battery)
- Shorted the clear CMOS solder points.

No success.

After that I started exchanging components:
I tried:
- two different power supplies
- the following graphics cards:
ASUS AGP-V2740TV (AGP2x),
ASUS V7100 DVI,
ASUS V7100 2V1D (the last two are almost identical, AGP4x each).
- different RAM modules (several pairs of 128MB modules and one pair of 512MB modules)
- different processor pairs:
3 pairs 400MHz Pentium 2
1 pair 800MHz Pentium 3 (Coppermine E, 100MHz FSB)

Still no success (apart from one of the boards that started to work).

I can't believe that all processor pairs, RAM modules or graphics cards are broken.
The only thing I remember is that a machine with one of those boards had problems to start with the Intel i740 card for some time.

I'm out of ideas what I could try now. 😕
Hope to get at least one other machine running (would like to have both a dual P2 and P3 computer - ideally two P2s).

Any recommendations are highly appreciated. 😀

Reply 1 of 5, by alexanrs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You could try the following:

• Leave those boards without a battery for a few hours
  • Leave the boards on for a while (lets say an hour or two) to recondition some capacitors
  • Try booting with a single processor (do those boards support that?)
  • Try an old PCI graphics card

EDIT: if the BIOS chip is socketed, try swapping the one from the working board into one that is not starting. If this makes any difference then just buy a couple of EEPROMs and program them.

Reply 2 of 5, by florianix

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
alexanrs wrote:
You could try the following: […]
Show full quote

You could try the following:

• Leave those boards without a battery for a few hours
  • Leave the boards on for a while (lets say an hour or two) to recondition some capacitors
  • Try booting with a single processor (do those boards support that?)
  • Try an old PCI graphics card

EDIT: if the BIOS chip is socketed, try swapping the one from the working board into one that is not starting. If this makes any difference then just buy a couple of EEPROMs and program them.

Thanks for the good recommendations!

Tried a PCI graphics card without success. But not sure if the card is ok (only got one PCI card here and it is out of a PC that stopped working).
I'm searching for the terminators that go into the unpopulated CPU slots for single-CPU operation. Hope I still have them...
About the battery... I'll try. But Those boards were stored over years with empty batteries...

The BIOS chips are socketed. Now I need a tool to get them out without destroying the sockets.
Are there known cases of Flash-ROMS loosing their contents?

Reply 3 of 5, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I know a P2B-DS works fine with out CPU terminator things. Worst case it just wont boot.
I'd try the PCI card in a different PC to confirm if it works or not. swapping from AGP to PCI is always a good start.

Reply 4 of 5, by florianix

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
chinny22 wrote:

I know a P2B-DS works fine with out CPU terminator things. Worst case it just wont boot.
I'd try the PCI card in a different PC to confirm if it works or not. swapping from AGP to PCI is always a good start.

Tried to boot with one CPU - doesn't boot (same behaviour as with two ones in that case).

Will try to get another PCI graphics card as I don't have other computers with PCI slots (switched from 286/386 (ISA only) directly to that (now broken) Pentium I pulled that card out. Next are the computers that I'm now trying to get working again and a late P4 (guess that thing won't work with that card any more as the PCI card is almost 20 years older...

Is there a recommended card/type that will run with as many configurations as possible to resolve such "AGP systems" problems?