VOGONS

First post, by belzrebuth

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ι got a serial to ps/2 adapter for using a ps/2 microsoft ball mouse on my pentium I win95 pc but when I plug my mouse the cursor does not move.
It's like nothing is connected.

I never used a mouse with this computer because I was lazy to search my stuff for an adapter and the win95 installation was done without any mouse attached although there was a serial mouse config in device manager.

The motherboard only has a serial port and no ps/2 so the only way to plug a mouse is to either find a serial one or use an adapter.

So,when I first connected the mouse although I got no hardware wizard when the pc booted I checked device manager and it seemed to recognise the mouse but with the yellow question mark.
The mouse was dead ,no movement.
I thought that it may conflict with the serial mouse config already present in device manager (although I never plugged a serial mouse in this machine)

I deleted both serial mouse and ps/2 mouse and restarted.
Nothing.

Then I added both standard ps/2 and microsoft ps/2 mouse at the add hardware wizard one after deleting the other and rebooting.

Still nothing.

I don't really know what's wrong.

I think that my serial port is functional because how else the first ps/2 mouse would appear in the device manager?

But after that I get nothing no matter what I do.
I also tried ps/2 to usb adapter and plugging a usb mouse but it didn't work.

Anyone have a clue what I could be doing wrong?

Reply 1 of 4, by dirkmirk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Your doing nothing wrong, PS2 is not compatible with serial ports unless the Mouse itself is a dual purpose mode Serial/PS2, that basically means you would need a mouse from the mid 90's for those adapters to work.

Alternatively if you really wanted a PS2 mouse to work you could use a KVM switch that has PS2 & Serial mouse inputs, eg

Ps2 & serial mouse
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/VINTAGE-GENUINE-BE … 0EAAOSwLnlWoSyz
PS2/Serial KVM switch
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Raritan-Switchman- … uQAAOSwewJToDIl
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Belkin-Serial-Mous … F4AAOSwqxdTrG4M

I have a small adapter from Raritan that plugs into the AT keyboard & serial connection and converts both signals to PS2 but these are rare, it works well and would be the most elegant solution.

Reply 3 of 4, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
dirkmirk wrote:

Raritan... it works well and would be the most elegant solution.

Depends on your screen resolution and the particular PS/2 mouse you use. I found the Raritan the worst of the protocal converters.

belzrebuth, if you are looking for a brainless and hassle free solution, obtain a working serial mouse.

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 4 of 4, by belzrebuth

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

yes feipoa,it's a serial mouse that I'll look for.
I have enough troubles with older machinery to bother finding workarounds for this issue.
They're getting rarer and expensive these old mice so I'll just wait for one to find me.(i'll keep an eye open on flea markets)

Ebay prices are laughable for all things "vintage"..