VOGONS

First post, by DoomGuy II

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've read on the Microsoft website that Windows 95 does not support hard drives above 32GB.

However, I have a Panasonic Toughbook CF-25 with an 80GB hard drive with DDO installed and have two partitions, 10GB with Windows 95B and 65GB for data, as seen here.

snapshot___1_by_doomguy2nd-d9rfv4a.png

After at least a few months of usage, I've had no problems reading, writing, and storing data so far. So, that begs the question. Is there really a limitation to using more than 32GB in Windows 95 and if so what are the downsides of it? Because again, I've had zero issues with the configuration I currently have on my CF-25 so far.

Official Website: https://dg410.duckdns.org/

Reply 1 of 3, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
DoomGuy II wrote:
I've read on the Microsoft website that Windows 95 does not support hard drives above 32GB. […]
Show full quote

I've read on the Microsoft website that Windows 95 does not support hard drives above 32GB.

However, I have a Panasonic Toughbook CF-25 with an 80GB hard drive with DDO installed and have two partitions, 10GB with Windows 95B and 65GB for data, as seen here.

snapshot___1_by_doomguy2nd-d9rfv4a.png

After at least a few months of usage, I've had no problems reading, writing, and storing data so far. So, that begs the question. Is there really a limitation to using more than 32GB in Windows 95 and if so what are the downsides of it? Because again, I've had zero issues with the configuration I currently have on my CF-25 so far.

Its only FDISK that cant show the size correctly with disks above 32 GB, FDISK can still partition larger drives and Windows 9x it self should handle disks up to 128GB as long as we are not talking about Windows 95A with FAT16 (max 2GB).

New PC: i9 12900K @5GHz all cores @1.2v. MSI PRO Z690-A. 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14. 3070Ti.
Old PC: Dual Xeon X5690@4.6GHz, EVGA SR-2, 48GB DDR3R@2000MHz, Intel X25-M. GTX 980ti.
Older PC: K6-3+ 400@600MHz, PC-Chips M577, 256MB SDRAM, AWE64, Voodoo Banshee.

Reply 2 of 3, by DoomGuy II

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Skyscraper wrote:

Its only FDISK that cant show the size correctly with disks above 32 GB, FDISK can still partition larger drives and Windows 9x it self should handle disks up to 128GB as long as we are not talking about Windows 95A with FAT16 (max 2GB).

Makes perfect sense, since I've used the Hitachi version of Ontrack DDO to partition my hard drive. So, I guess it wouldn't hurt to use a 120GB hard drive under Windows 95B as long as I use third party partitioning software or even the updated version of FDISK under Windows 98.

Official Website: https://dg410.duckdns.org/