VOGONS

First post, by Batarjal

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have a Pb450 motherboard, which fits a variety of 486 processors, and I saw on a website that had a diagram of the board that I could use an external battery pack. Unfortunately tracking down this part has proven impossible. Would it damage the system if I use a cr2032 battery in a holder that has a 2mm jst ph connector? Would the connector even fit?

I was also wondering if this board is pretty forgiving in terms of swapping out processors. It currently has a 486 dx/2 50mhz processor, but I was thinking about upgrading it to the 66mhz variant.

Thanks!

Reply 1 of 5, by Malvineous

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Can you post a link to the website with details? I've just made a few external battery connectors for 286 and 486 motherboards so if they suit then I can tell you which parts you'd need.

The ones I made have connectors that look the same as the PC speaker connector and take 4x AA batteries to provide 6VDC.

Reply 2 of 5, by Batarjal

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The link to the motherboard is here: http://www.uktsupport.co.uk/pb/mb/450.htm.

The battery I'm thinking on looking for would have a connector like in this picture: https://www.adafruit.com/products/783.

Reply 3 of 5, by Malvineous

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That connector definitely won't fit, plus the battery would supply 6V and the board only wants 3V. You'd need to find a battery holder with only one CR2032 in it, not two.

The connector in your link also has only two pins side by side, but the manual says you need the wires to sit on pin 1 and pin 4, with two empty pins in the middle. You'll need a 4-pin Dupont connector with only two wires in it, like this PC Speaker cable. The motherboard info you posted says pin 1 is +3V, so the red wire goes to pin 1 on your motherboard, and that will make the black wire go to pin 4, with pins 2 and 3 empty.

You can either find a CR2032 battery holder to use, or it might be easier to use a 2x AA battery holder which will give you the same 3V.

Reply 5 of 5, by ahtoh

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Batarjal wrote:

I could use an external battery pack. Unfortunately tracking down this part has proven impossible.

TADIRAN TL-5242/W
They still produce it so it can be easily found on ebay or electronic stores like mouser, digikey.