VOGONS

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 35, by MrEWhite

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
stuvize wrote:

I have the same problems with GTA SA at 4.31Ghz or higher interesting you described the exact same symptoms in Sports car GT I thought it was unique to GTA SA seems that high core clock speeds are breaking some games like certain old DOS games. Could try overclocking from within windows that worked partially for GTA SA but the physics were still not on time.

Wonder how many games are affected and if there is a pattern? both GTA SA and Sports car GT are PlayStation ported games one from PS2 and other from PS1.

GTA SA runs fine on a 4.4 GHz 4790k, no speed ups. Just DO NOT turn off the frame limiter unless you use a mod for it called "Silent Patch." Even then, there are still issues. (You should still be using Silent Patch anyways, even with the frame limiter.)

Reply 25 of 35, by stuvize

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
MrEWhite wrote:
stuvize wrote:

I have the same problems with GTA SA at 4.31Ghz or higher interesting you described the exact same symptoms in Sports car GT I thought it was unique to GTA SA seems that high core clock speeds are breaking some games like certain old DOS games. Could try overclocking from within windows that worked partially for GTA SA but the physics were still not on time.

Wonder how many games are affected and if there is a pattern? both GTA SA and Sports car GT are PlayStation ported games one from PS2 and other from PS1.

GTA SA runs fine on a 4.4 GHz 4790k, no speed ups. Just DO NOT turn off the frame limiter unless you use a mod for it called "Silent Patch." Even then, there are still issues. (You should still be using Silent Patch anyways, even with the frame limiter.)

Frame limiter has no effects on this bug, I read everywhere that's the cause of most of the bugs in GTA SA not true the PS2 version has some of these bugs even and almost all patches have viruses in them just tried silent patch virus in it. Where you running on XP32 when you tried this on your 4790K?

Reply 26 of 35, by MrEWhite

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
stuvize wrote:
MrEWhite wrote:
stuvize wrote:

Frame limiter has no effects on this bug, I read everywhere that's the cause of most of the bugs in GTA SA not true the PS2 version has some of these bugs even and almost all patches have viruses in them just tried silent patch virus in it. Where you running on XP32 when you tried this on your 4790K?

Running Windows 10. And Silent Patch isn't a virus. Must be a false positive on your side. Make sure it's from here: http://www.gtagarage.com/mods/show.php?id=25368

Reply 28 of 35, by MrEWhite

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
stuvize wrote:

Tried it again says no virus if you scan the ZIP file but as soon as it unzips Norton detects a virus in the "SilentPatchSA.ASI" file

Disable the anti-virus for it. I know for a fact that it isn't a virus. The same guy who makes that kept the ASI Loader for SA up to date when the new steam patches came out, and has been maintaining the asi loader before that.

Reply 29 of 35, by ZanQuance

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The programming bug sounds like they store the CPU clockspeed in an unsigned 32-bit integer variable, which has a max value of 4,294,967,295.
So any frequency over that will cause the value to loop around to 0 and the games video out sync divider thinks it's time to update constantly.
Obviously this is just bad programming 😉

Reply 30 of 35, by stuvize

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
MrEWhite wrote:
stuvize wrote:

Tried it again says no virus if you scan the ZIP file but as soon as it unzips Norton detects a virus in the "SilentPatchSA.ASI" file

Disable the anti-virus for it. I know for a fact that it isn't a virus. The same guy who makes that kept the ASI Loader for SA up to date when the new steam patches came out, and has been maintaining the asi loader before that.

It does seem to be a false positive checked the details Norton had no specific name for it just that it may be potentially dangerous, either way the loader is not working

Reply 31 of 35, by MrEWhite

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
stuvize wrote:
MrEWhite wrote:
stuvize wrote:

It does seem to be a false positive checked the details Norton had no specific name for it just that it may be potentially dangerous, either way the loader is not working

What version of the game do you use? You need the ASI Loader and the patch.

Reply 33 of 35, by ZanQuance

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
kithylin wrote:
ZanQuance wrote:

The programming bug sounds like they store the CPU clockspeed in an unsigned 32-bit integer variable, which has a max value of 4,294,967,295.
So any frequency over that will cause the value to loop around to 0 and the games video out sync divider thinks it's time to update constantly.

I don't know programming. I'm guessing.. 4294 Mhz? or something like that.

That is 4.294 Ghz which the developers most likely thought would never happen on a CPU. A bit of debugging would reveal the location of that variable and let you adjust it manually to fix the speed issues.

Reply 35 of 35, by stuvize

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
ZanQuance wrote:
kithylin wrote:
ZanQuance wrote:

I don't know programming. I'm guessing.. 4294 Mhz? or something like that.

That is 4.294 Ghz which the developers most likely thought would never happen on a CPU. A bit of debugging would reveal the location of that variable and let you adjust it manually to fix the speed issues.

This probably explains why overclocking from within windows partially worked must have been fooling the software somehow