VOGONS

First post, by carlostex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hi everyone,

i'm considering buying one of these vintage joysticks. However sometimes i read DOS compatibility isn't the best. I learned that joystick is digital but emulates 2 very DOS compatible Joysticks, CH Flightstick Pro and Thrustmaster FCS.

Turns out the game i need a joystick the most is Fleet Defender. I already have a true Thrustmaster FCS which is pretty decent, but the Sidewinder 3D Pro really ineterests me because of the twist feature. Being able to control the rudders is essential for good dogfight manouvers and lining up or correcting for a perfect shot. I've felt the need for it in Fleet Defender, while trying the Thrustmaster FCS. I'm just wondering if the Sidewinder 3D Pro works with Fleet Defender.

Does anyone have a Sidewinder 3D Pro that can give me a hand and test Fleet Defender for me? I'm wondering if the joystick works natively with rudder in the game, and if not will the Thrustmaster FCS emulation allow the use of the twist feature when foot pedals are selected.

EDIT: How about the 3D Pro Plus? Is it as compatible as the normal 3D Pro? Same features? Anything radically different other than design?

Reply 1 of 13, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have both joysticks, but only a handful of DOS games supports the digital functions of the Sidewinder 3D Pro (I think Mechwarrior 2 being one of them).
For the most part, the joystick falls back into its analog mode under DOS, meaning that the buttons on the base don't function.
I've never experienced any problems with this joystick under DOS and played endless hours of X-Wing and Privateer on it.
Refer this post: Topic 34088
5 posts down there's a link on how the different buttons at the bottom of the joystick function.
Also check out the Wikipedia page for Microsoft Sidewinder.

The 3D Pro Plus is a digital only joystick. It doesn't function under "real" DOS (only Windows).
You might be able to play your DOS games via a DOS command prompt inside Windows, but I never tried it.

Reply 2 of 13, by carlostex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

^Cheers mate. Appreciate the response!

The CH Flightstick mode is almost perfect, just for the fact of the simultaneous button presses. I don't think that would affect me much on Fleet Defender since i'll never encounter the need of firing the guns and a missile at the same time, while being able to use the throttle and rudder. The Thrustmaster mode is cool too, only lacking the throttle, but the simultaneous button presses make it best for arcade games.

However and although it seems the stick is great, i need to make sure it works in Fleet Defender. It's pretty much the main game the stick will be used for. If you or anybody who owns one can test Fleet Defender for me, i'd be very thankful!

Reply 3 of 13, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Unfortunately, I don't have that particular game. Must be honest, I didn't even know this particular Microprose title existed - I do know of other Microprose titles. But, then again, flight simulators never caught onto me.
Having said that, I don't think you should have any problems playing any DOS game (that claims to support either the CH Flightstick Pro or Thrustmaster) with the Sidewinder 3D Pro.
Just be aware of the ergonomics of the Sidewinder 3D Pro. After a couple of hours, my hand became sore, since it wasn't the most comfortable joystick. But, apart from this small drawback, a very nice joystick to have for both DOS and (mostly) Windows 9x.

Reply 4 of 13, by jheronimus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Got myself a 3D Pro yesterday. I can't get it to work under pure DOS on my 486 machine. Googling shows that it can be incompatible with some of the Sound Blasters — though I'm using it with a ESS 1868F card and also tried plugging it into motherboard's gameport. Will test it with a bunch of Vibras and AWE64 this weekend, also have an ISP-16 Opti-based card.

It does, however, work perfectly under Windows 98SE after I've installed the software (using AWE64 CT4500), so it's definitely a gameport issue.

MR BIOS catalog
Unicore catalog

Reply 5 of 13, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
jheronimus wrote:

Got myself a 3D Pro yesterday. I can't get it to work under pure DOS on my 486 machine. Googling shows that it can be incompatible with some of the Sound Blasters — though I'm using it with a ESS 1868F card and also tried plugging it into motherboard's gameport. Will test it with a bunch of Vibras and AWE64 this weekend, also have an ISP-16 Opti-based card.

It does, however, work perfectly under Windows 98SE after I've installed the software (using AWE64 CT4500), so it's definitely a gameport issue.

Silly question, but are you sure it's a 3D Pro and not perhaps a 3D Pro Plus (a.k.a. the Precision Pro)?
Look at the bottom of the joystick - is there a selector switch?
Here's a pic of the Sidewinder 3D Pro

Joystick_-_Microsoft_Sidewinder_3D_Pro.jpg
Filename
Joystick_-_Microsoft_Sidewinder_3D_Pro.jpg
File size
194.5 KiB
Views
File comment
Sidewinder 3D Pro
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

And here's one of the 3D Pro Plus

joystick+microsoft+sidewinder+precision+pro+sao+paulo+sp+brasil__1B6F98_3.jpg
Filename
joystick+microsoft+sidewinder+precision+pro+sao+paulo+sp+brasil__1B6F98_3.jpg
File size
50.56 KiB
Views
File comment
Precision Pro (Sidewinder 3D Pro Plus)
File license

Reply 7 of 13, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
jheronimus wrote:

No, it's a 3D Pro and it has a switch. The switch doesn't do anything ATM. I've tested it in Descent: Destination Saturn and Wing Commander I.

That is strange. I used to run this joystick via my AWE64 value without any problems (first under DOS 6.22 and later Windows 98SE's MS-DOS mode).

Maybe check to confirm that the joystick port is enabled on your sound card under DOS (there is usually a utility that enables you to choose those settings).
Also, don't enable both your sound card and your on board joystick port at the same time (they could be conflicting with each other).

Reply 8 of 13, by jheronimus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
jesolo wrote:
That is strange. I used to run this joystick via my AWE64 value without any problems (first under DOS 6.22 and later Windows 98S […]
Show full quote
jheronimus wrote:

No, it's a 3D Pro and it has a switch. The switch doesn't do anything ATM. I've tested it in Descent: Destination Saturn and Wing Commander I.

That is strange. I used to run this joystick via my AWE64 value without any problems (first under DOS 6.22 and later Windows 98SE's MS-DOS mode).

Maybe check to confirm that the joystick port is enabled on your sound card under DOS (there is usually a utility that enables you to choose those settings).
Also, don't enable both your sound card and your on board joystick port at the same time (they could be conflicting with each other).

It's a ESS card, and the J option is enabled in autoexec.bat. Also, I only enabled the onboard gameport to test it with the joystick (it's normally off), so that is also out.

I'll test it with AWE64 on a weekend though.

MR BIOS catalog
Unicore catalog

Reply 9 of 13, by EdmondDantes

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Just responding to say, the OP is not alone in having trouble making the Sidewinder 3D Pro work in DOS. In my case I have a Soundblaster 16 so I always figured it was that, but if someone is having the same issue with a different sound blaster, well...

Here was my topic on it: getting the Sidewinder 3D Pro working in DOS?

Just a thought, the Windows drivers for this thing had an issue of needing their timings adjusted to be caught on faster computers (someone released a whole load of "alternative drivers" for this very purpose)... maybe that's true of the DOS drivers as well?

Reply 12 of 13, by jheronimus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
EdmondDantes wrote:

How can I find out what kind of SB16 I have?

You should see a CTXXXX model number, usually in the top left corner on the front side of your card's PCB. Like this is a CT2770:

b669fc87b5f373372736a29d29dd7673.jpg
Filename
b669fc87b5f373372736a29d29dd7673.jpg
File size
88.71 KiB
Views
File license

Sound Blasters are pretty well documented, so you just have to google that CTXXXX and you will know if it's a SB16, a Vibra, an AWE32/64, etc.

Hope that helps.

MR BIOS catalog
Unicore catalog