VOGONS

First post, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I'm looking at this card again after a couple of months and it seems to be going for about $5-6 more. The lowest priced one is:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ISA-16bit-Sound-Card- … 7sAAOxyM89ScNRl
Which for me in the States is $13.63 + $7.90 shipping = $21.53. It seems a couple of months ago it was around $15 shipped.

Do you expect this card to continue to go up in price, or does it fluctuate? I'm debating whether to grab one now or wait for prices to drop.

There are used YMF718-S based cards being sold in the States, but they aren't any less than a new Audician shipping from the UK.

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 1 of 10, by konc

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Wow, you are absolutely right, I just checked my ebay purchase history. I bought one on May 2015 and another one even earlier, on March 2014. They both cost me a total of 10,5 euros (card price 6,5). So it appears that its price used to be stable and exactly the one you mentioned. Right now it would cost me 17,4. Same seller.

Reply 5 of 10, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

What can I say, I love a good deal. It's not so much the $6 as it is the percentage of total cost that gets me. I suppose I will have to bite the bullet as they will eventually run out and become even more expensive. Thank you, Vogoners.

Reply 6 of 10, by carlostex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It's still affordable and a much better choice than most crapload of Sound Blaster 16's that are usually overpriced on eBay. With this card you'll get a reliability and compatibility that will work perfectly with 99% of DOS games. I keep repeating this and i won't get tired: i wish the OPL3-SAx chipsets were used in more high end designs.

I'm still hoping there will be a Vogons project where a OPL3-SA card is combined with an Interwave chip. Maybe the ARGUS project can achieve this in the future. YMF chipsets are apparently easy to source.

Just checked: Not only there are lots of these chipsets available in several suppliers, we can also find several revisions as well: YMF-711 (OPL-SA2), YMF-715 (OPL-SA3) and remarked OPL-SA3's (YMF-718, YMF-719).

Reply 7 of 10, by Kodai

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
carlostex wrote:

I'm still hoping there will be a Vogons project where a OPL3-SA card is combined with an Interwave chip. Maybe the ARGUS project can achieve this in the future. YMF chipsets are apparently easy to source.

It's already done in the sense that an opl can be stuck on it via an add on daughter board. All somebody has to do is design one, and from what I understand it should be a pretty simple project for an amateur electronics engineer.

Reply 8 of 10, by ik777

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

We can still purchase cheap "new" "ISA sound" card in ebay not only audician 32.

Recently I bought 5 each AWE32 Value & Aztech MMSN842. (2 for me, sold 3, still I have 5 new with gross -$30 😀 )
Aztech's sound itself is good as audition 32 but lacks of windows 98 drivers(accept 95 drivers), WT header and silly big to fit my chasis.
But they have YMF289 so can enjoy real opl3 unlike AWE32 Value. I don't know about modem part but I don't care.

AWE32 value lacks of ram expansion and "CQM", but EMU8000 could overcome this.

Again beware, there's no WT header to my recommendation.

Reply 9 of 10, by Dreamer_of_the_past

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
clueless1 wrote:

Do you expect this card to continue to go up in price, or does it fluctuate? I'm debating whether to grab one now or wait for prices to drop.

It's a no brainer. Go for it while you still can and no, price is not going down judging by how many people already bough it for the current price.

Reply 10 of 10, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yeah, I ordered one. Ended up costing US $22.08 after the currency conversion.