VOGONS

First post, by Malvineous

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi all,

Has anyone tried using a VGA to HDMI converter such as this one on eBay with their retro PC?

A couple of my LCD monitors refuse to sync at certain resolutions (e.g. with a Trident TVGA8900 my Dell U2412M often requires a power cycle to sync after a mode change, and will never sync when playing any Commander Keen game) so I am wondering whether I'd have better success with an active converter such as this one?

Another reason is to get a (relatively) cheap HDMI capture card and use it with this adapter to capture the VGA signal.

Presumably the converter could suffer from similar issues as the LCD does with unsupported video modes, so I'm wondering whether anyone else has tried one of these and can report their experience? I'm guessing that you don't get the option of adjusting the picture at all like you do with an LCD's VGA input, so I'm wondering whether they only work with certain common modes and nothing else.

Reply 1 of 8, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I can tell you one thing: If your monitor struggles, then converters and capture cards will struggle even more...

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 2 of 8, by matze79

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

better get a VGA Card with DVI and use a DVI to HDMI Adapter.
As long you have PCI Slots you can get a cheap solution.
Like a Radeon 7000 PCI.

https://www.retrokits.de - blog, retro projects, hdd clicker, diy soundcards etc
https://www.retroianer.de - german retro computer board

Reply 3 of 8, by soviet conscript

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've been wondering the same thing.

I currently use a VGA to S-video converter then feed that into my Elgato to capture DOS VGA stuff. it actually works half decent but I was thinking VGA to HDMI may give me better results, I split the video though so I have one VGA out going to my converter/capture device and one VGA out going to my monitor I play on.

using a card with DVI isnt always an option for me because I want to use exact era hardware many times. there's no DVI connectors on Tseng et4000 cards and such.

Reply 4 of 8, by Malvineous

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yes exactly the case for me too. I'm talking about 286-era machines with only ISA slots, and there are no ISA video cards with DVI outputs.

Good point about the converters being less tolerant than the monitors. Just strange because some monitors are ok, others aren't. I guess given the low price the only option is to get one and try it out!

Reply 5 of 8, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
soviet conscript wrote:

but I was thinking VGA to HDMI may give me better results, I split the video though so I have one VGA out going to my converter/capture device and one VGA out going to my monitor I play on.

Got to be careful what device you really want.

A converter, simply converts. So under DOS you will get 720 x 400 @ 70 Hz. You typical HDMI capture card won't know what to do with this.

Better is a scaler, but they cost a lot more and some aren't fast enough for smooth frames.

My LCD monitor also struggles with V2 SLI at 512 x 386, which runs at a higher refresh rate than 60 and can't be lowered. I have to "wake up" the LCD after a minute or so. Another model handles it better.

Changing the graphics card can help sometimes, so it's worth trying. But some games are just tricky games to capture.

If money is no limit, get a capture card from Epiphan, they capture anything 😀

Reply 6 of 8, by soviet conscript

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
PhilsComputerLab wrote:
Got to be careful what device you really want. […]
Show full quote
soviet conscript wrote:

but I was thinking VGA to HDMI may give me better results, I split the video though so I have one VGA out going to my converter/capture device and one VGA out going to my monitor I play on.

Got to be careful what device you really want.

A converter, simply converts. So under DOS you will get 720 x 400 @ 70 Hz. You typical HDMI capture card won't know what to do with this.

Better is a scaler, but they cost a lot more and some aren't fast enough for smooth frames.

My LCD monitor also struggles with V2 SLI at 512 x 386, which runs at a higher refresh rate than 60 and can't be lowered. I have to "wake up" the LCD after a minute or so. Another model handles it better.

Changing the graphics card can help sometimes, so it's worth trying. But some games are just tricky games to capture.

If money is no limit, get a capture card from Epiphan, they capture anything 😀

Is converting to something lesser like S-video different because so far using my cheapo Avermedia VGA to S-video/composite converter and then running the S-video to the Elgato has captured every DOS game I've thrown at it. Granted the quality is degraded pretty noticeably it does work. This converter also has a port to output 15 pin RGB out but i've never tried it as I lack the cables. I'd have to get a 15 pin RGB to SCART cable and then a RGB SCART to HDMI converter to test it.

Reply 7 of 8, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I started my YouTubing with S-Video captures 😁

I used graphics cards that had S-Video out, that gave me the best image, but on older machines I used a VGA to S-Video converter like yours.

It has a VGA passthrough, but that would reduce the image quality, so I would just play on the capture computer using the preview window.

Reply 8 of 8, by Malvineous

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well just for the record, I purchased one of these (photo below) as it didn't say anything about supported resolutions in the listing, but it did say it can operate without the USB power (presumably if the HDMI connector provides power - I guess you'd need it if you were using a DVI adapter.) The manual that comes with it says that it supports up to 1920x1080@60Hz, but then proceeds to list a bunch of discrete resolutions it supports, the lowest of which is 640x480@60/72/75/85Hz.

According to another monitor of mine, my Trident TVGA8900 outputs a 640x400@70Hz signal for both DOS text mode and Commander Keen 4, while it outputs 720x400@70Hz for Monster Bash. Neither of these modes are compatible with the HDMI converter, when connected to two different screens (one via HDMI and one with a DVI adapter.) Both those monitors correctly display the image when using their own VGA inputs (except one monitor which will never display Commander Keen for some reason.)

With the adapter, the monitor flicks on for a moment whenever the video mode changes, but then immediately goes back into power saving mode.

The converter was only AU$10 so worth the experiment, but I think it's safe to say that unless it specifically lists a retro screen resolution, it won't work.

Attachments

• vga-hdmi-converter.jpg
    Filename
    vga-hdmi-converter.jpg
    File size
    45.55 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    Generic VGA to HDMI converter
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception