VOGONS

First post, by Megadisk

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I just received an Aztech Sound Galaxy BXII that is giving me a hell of a trouble. This has been tested into three different PC's (286 and 2X 386SX's) all with the same exact results. All tested under DOS settings (MS-DOS 5.0 & 6.22).
Basically, the main issues is when installing the drivers. The installation disks create the SGBXII directory with subdirectories and writes AUTOEXEC.BAT. The drivers installation begins ok, then it looks for the jumpers configuration and here's when the problem begins. It recognizes the Address and IRQ just fine but the joystick always displays as disabled no matter how many times I switch around the jumpers. Then near the end, it tries to test the card sounds (FM, SB, etc) and it always locks or crashes on this step. The issue almost seems to be related to the drivers themselves, but all of the ones I've found so far seems to be exactly the same ones (here at Vogosn, Driverguide, etc).

I installed new capacitors thinking that could solve the issue, but there was no improvement afterwards.

Any ideas? or does anyone has the original packing installation floppy images or can point me in the right direction please?

Any help is much appreciated.

DSC05943_zpsftjtgwi4.jpg

The card looks to be exactly the same to the one in the vid video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6JuXXRAHios

Last edited by Megadisk on 2016-02-23, 23:16. Edited 5 times in total.

Reply 1 of 7, by Davros

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Idea's off the top of my head :
do the drivers need a certain amount of xms/ems ?
try with freedos or drdos
is it compatible with emm386.exe or similar ?
have you tried installing on a very basic dos setup

Guardian of the Sacred Five Terabyte's of Gaming Goodness

Reply 2 of 7, by Megadisk

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Davros wrote:
do the drivers need a certain amount of xms/ems ? try with freedos or drdos is it compatible with emm386.exe or similar ? have y […]
Show full quote

do the drivers need a certain amount of xms/ems ?
try with freedos or drdos
is it compatible with emm386.exe or similar ?
have you tried installing on a very basic dos setup

I shall try and double check on this. By the way, which DrDOS ver is best for memory management?

Thanks much for your reply!

Reply 3 of 7, by konc

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Aztech's ftp is still up! You can try their official latest software, mind you these are the HD disks.
There was for sure an earlier release on DD floppies, not sure if the software version was different as well or just the packaging.

ftp://ftp.aztech.com/support/DOWNLOAD/sg/BXII/

Reply 4 of 7, by Megadisk

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Here's an update.

I couldn't get any of the Aztech Sound Galaxy BX II drivers that I found to fully load or install properly. I think its because my card is a BX II and the drivers I came across are for the BX II extra card (which seems to be a little different). So I started thinking, since this card is suppose to be a Sound Blaster 2.0 clone, I decided to give the SB CT1350B install disks drivers a go and sure enough, it has been playing great with them ever since (plays the SB2.0 demos, organ and midi files good) , even the LINE-IN input works just like the LINE-In input found in the later SBPRO2 cards. 😁

Reply 5 of 7, by Logistics

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

This is relevant to my interests as I believe I have one of these cards sitting around the garage. Could you list the specific driver version of the CT1350B drivers you used so I don't have to fuss when I get around to installing mine?

Reply 7 of 7, by DamienC

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have the same exact card and same exact problem. I couldn't figure out why the joystick port doesn't work; my best guess is that it conflicted with the joystick port in my ISA I/O card. Unfortunately you cannot disable the port on my card (Vitex Super I/O ISA).

It was easier for me to just disable the one on the Aztech card and use the port on the ISA controller. Works great for me that way.