VOGONS

First post, by kithylin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

This is by far one of the coolest things I've seen in a long time with computers and technology. A friend of mine linked it to me tonight, so.. have a look y'all.

http://imgur.com/gallery/A9Ekr

Reply 1 of 20, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

For me it's not cool. Though people sure would disagree depending on ones personal view on these matters.
One thing is sure and that is, that this is way better than sending it to the scrapper.
True that the man has some good skills when looking at the finished product.

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 2 of 20, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The "floppy" drive is the best part. I want one of those.
I like how the "disks" even show up as drive A:

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 3 of 20, by kithylin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

There's a video link near the top and has some closer views of it.

Personally I -LOVE- his floppy-SD-Reader solution. Supposedly some of the data lines for actual floppy are the same data lines as SD data lines are the same in a cable so he just spliced em together and re-designed the floppy drive so that when the disk-with-SD goes in it just "sits on top of" the electrical contacts for an SD reader inside the floppy drive and reads up as A: that way.

Reply 6 of 20, by Logistics

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I like where the user was going with that case. I'm more interested all the detail-work while retaining stock hardware, but there are several old cases I would like to have a modern PC in so I'm certainly not complaining. This has got me all riled up to do a build, now.

Reply 7 of 20, by Totempole

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I think it's a great job and all, but if he ruined a perfectly good working IBM Aptiva to do it, that's not cool. 😠

My Retro Gaming PC:
Pentium III 450MHz Katmai Slot 1
Transcend 256MB PC133
Gigabyte GA-6BXC
MSI Geforce 2 MX400 AGP
Ensoniq ES1371 PCI
Sound Blaster AWE64 ISA

Reply 8 of 20, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I am not thrilled that he did that to a nearly mint condition IBM Aptiva when they are rarer than hens teeth in that condition especially when not being sold at rip off prices by greedy and often dodgy resellers on eBay.

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 9 of 20, by Sedrosken

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I concur with most everyone else here, cool that he has the skills to do it, bad that he ruined a perfectly good Aptiva to do it. He could have just as easily used a more ubiquitous machine, or if he insisted on an Aptiva, one in less-than-ideal condition electronics-wise.

Nanto: H61H2-AM3, 4GB, GTS250 1GB, SB0730, 512GB SSD, XP USP4
Rithwic: EP-61BXM-A, Celeron 300A@450, 768MB, GF2MX400/V2, YMF744, 128GB SD2IDE, 98SE (Kex)
Cragstone: Alaris Cougar, 486BL2-66, 16MB, GD5428 VLB, CT2800, 16GB SD2IDE, 95CNOIE

Reply 10 of 20, by kithylin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Totempole wrote:

I think it's a great job and all, but if he ruined a perfectly good working IBM Aptiva to do it, that's not cool. 😠

nforce4max wrote:

I am not thrilled that he did that to a nearly mint condition IBM Aptiva when they are rarer than hens teeth in that condition especially when not being sold at rip off prices by greedy and often dodgy resellers on eBay.

Sedrosken wrote:

I concur with most everyone else here, cool that he has the skills to do it, bad that he ruined a perfectly good Aptiva to do it. He could have just as easily used a more ubiquitous machine, or if he insisted on an Aptiva, one in less-than-ideal condition electronics-wise.

If you guys took a moment to watch his video he explains it wasn't "mint condition". The thing wouldn't POST, didn't work, and the motherboard was likely dead when he got it.

It was only the computer case and power supply that still worked, and he retained most of the case, just gave it a new function and saved it from the crusher / junk yard.

Reply 12 of 20, by petro89

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Awesome!

"Dat ass though"

Lol...

*Ryzen 9 3900xt, 5700xt, Win10
*Ryzen 7 2700x, Gtx1080, Win10
*FX 9590, Vega64, Win10
*Phenom IIx6 1100T, R9 380, Win7
*QX9770, r9 270x, Win7
*FX60, hd5850, Win7
*XP2400+, ti4600, Win2k
*PPro 200 1mb, banshee, w98
*AMD 5x86, CL , DOS

Reply 13 of 20, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
kithylin wrote:
If you guys took a moment to watch his video he explains it wasn't "mint condition". The thing wouldn't POST, didn't work, and t […]
Show full quote
Totempole wrote:

nforce4max wrote:

Sedrosken wrote:

If you guys took a moment to watch his video he explains it wasn't "mint condition". The thing wouldn't POST, didn't work, and the motherboard was likely dead when he got it.

It was only the computer case and power supply that still worked, and he retained most of the case, just gave it a new function and saved it from the crusher / junk yard.

Chances were likely that board could have been recoverable but most people only know how to worlk with modern hardware and wouldn't take the time to fully troubleshoot before coming to a conclusion. Hardware from that time period is difficult enough to find but for it to be wasted is what makes some people upset. It is like buying an old Jag or Porsche only to shove a big block chevy engine in it or God forbid a cummins...

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 14 of 20, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

That is incredible! As awesome as it is, part of me hurts for the loss of the original hardware inside. Would you rather have the stock Aptiva, or the modded one?

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 15 of 20, by kithylin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
nforce4max wrote:

Chances were likely that board could have been recoverable but most people only know how to worlk with modern hardware and wouldn't take the time to fully troubleshoot before coming to a conclusion. Hardware from that time period is difficult enough to find but for it to be wasted is what makes some people upset. It is like buying an old Jag or Porsche only to shove a big block chevy engine in it or God forbid a cummins...

Unlike a car that can be used to transport you places, even older ones.. with older computers I can kinda understand it but there's only so much you can do today with an XT. Even my 386.. I like it and I keep it in working condition but I rarely use it anymore for much of anything.

I'm sure you all have your opinions but to me I think what he did is perfectly great. Saved the shell from not being crushed and it's being put to daily use again today. So seems great, to me.

Reply 16 of 20, by petro89

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
clueless1 wrote:

That is incredible! As awesome as it is, part of me hurts for the loss of the original hardware inside. Would you rather have the stock Aptiva, or the modded one?

"Both" is the correct answer to that question. 😀

*Ryzen 9 3900xt, 5700xt, Win10
*Ryzen 7 2700x, Gtx1080, Win10
*FX 9590, Vega64, Win10
*Phenom IIx6 1100T, R9 380, Win7
*QX9770, r9 270x, Win7
*FX60, hd5850, Win7
*XP2400+, ti4600, Win2k
*PPro 200 1mb, banshee, w98
*AMD 5x86, CL , DOS

Reply 17 of 20, by Private_Ops

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
petro89 wrote:
clueless1 wrote:

"Both" is the correct answer to that question. 😀

Have to agree here. Be neat to have the original 486 but, it also makes a hell of a sleeper build.