VOGONS

First post, by Cauterize

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey y'all,

I recently picked up two Amstrad 1512 SD PCs, both of which had the following card in:

sXazRbQl.jpg

A quick search online pointed me in the direction of this link, however, for whatever reason the PDF is no longer online.

The text on the Google results read as: DSP Design. ARC250. Interface card. GammaLink. CAD-Fax. Add-in card. General ... An interface card to link the IBM PC to the token-passing ARCnet LAN

Any ideas what the ARCnet is or token passing does? Is here any use for this card today? It's all a bit over my head!

Thanks,
Adam

Reply 1 of 5, by realnc

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well, Wikipedia to the rescue. It has an article on arcnet and mentions token-passing:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ARCNET

I guess ethernet was not invented yet, so they were using arcnet instead.

Reply 2 of 5, by jcarvalho

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

token ring is an old network protocol. A "token" is generated and it goes passing trough the computers network. When your machine has the token, it has the right to "talk" to the network, sending info and receiving it.
You are a lucky guy!!! I would love to have one of those... can you sell??? I have a Sinclair PC200 with awierds error Serial port system error" and it doesn't boot 😢

Last edited by jcarvalho on 2016-02-28, 16:52. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 4 of 5, by Cauterize

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ah fantastic, many thanks for clearing things up guys. Very helpful!

I doubt I'll get any use out of this whatsoever, so I'm more than happy to pass it on to jcarvalho - better knowing this is going to a good home 😀

Reply 5 of 5, by jcarvalho

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Cauterize wrote:

Ah fantastic, many thanks for clearing things up guys. Very helpful!

I doubt I'll get any use out of this whatsoever, so I'm more than happy to pass it on to jcarvalho - better knowing this is going to a good home 😀

Hi! I was talking about one Amstrad 1512 😊 with monitor, keyboard and mouse in order to boot it 😀