VOGONS

First post, by Cauterize

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I recently got my Dell Dimension 4100 up and running and added in the Voodoo 3 3000 AGP that I've been meaning to use for years. Trouble is, I'm having such little luck with it at the moment.

Having downloaded drivers from this website, the official ones have proven useless so far. I don't know whether or not it is my card, but all of my attempts have shown distorted video signals which eventually fade to a black screen, with the occasional complete freeze. These distortions if anything looked like a signal was interfering with the card, with the picture slowly scaling itself horizontally and looking like a wave form.

Elsewhere on that website I found the unofficial drivers and gave the 3dHQ V1.09.00 Beta10 a whirl. While the default settings did exactly the same as above, I found that using the more advanced settings here allowed me to underclock the card - something which has since fixed my issues. I was able to have a game of Unreal Tournament just fine without any of the aforementioned problems in sight.

Trouble is now, if I'm not mistaken it seems Windows itself isn't working with the card all that well. On the desktop the redraw of windows seems to really lag and stutter - something that didn't seem to be an issue with the official drivers. I'm anything but experienced in the realm of computing, nevermind retro rigs like this, so any advice would be most appreciated - especially if there is something else I can install.

Here's the system spec:

Dell Dimension 4100
Windows 98 SE
Intel Pentium III ~933Mhz
512MB RAM
DirectX 8.1
Voodoo 3 3000 AGP

I am wondering if the card is defective given that it only seems to work properly when underclocked...

Thanks in advance!

Reply 1 of 1, by jmannik

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I would look first to either adding a fan to the heatsink, or even better re-applying the thermal compound on the heatsink and adding a fan.
It sounds most likely to be a heat issue which is unsurprising as ive rarely seen any Voodoo 3 cards with what I would call adequate cooling for the heat of the chip.
Ideally if you could replace the heatsink with a more efficient cooler even better.

Dos: AMD 386 DX40 | 8MB RAM | SB Vibra 16
Dos: AMD 586-133|32MB RAM|2GB CF|2MB S3 Virge|AWE32-8MB
WinME: Athlon-500MHz|512MB|2x80GB|SB Live|Voodoo 3 3000 16MB
Win10: i7-6700K|16GB|1x250GB SSD 1x1.5TB|AMD Fury X