VOGONS

First post, by MrEWhite

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Is there are any issues any has encountered while using DVI under DOS with a Geforce 4 Ti4600? It would be great to know as I am planning to use a DVI/VGA monitor for output with the Ti4600 and a Voodoo 2.

Reply 1 of 12, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yes there are!

The DVI output on Nvidia cards give me a rather soft image. Other brands such as ATI or Matrox seem to have a better scaler.

The other issue is that it will output at 60 Hz instead of the standard 70. In some games this causes issues such as slower music, like in Lotus III. I believe that some DVI cards do output at 70 Hz, but I'm not 100% sure.

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 3 of 12, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
MrEWhite wrote:

Also, if I have a DVI and VGA cable plugged in at the same time, which would be the primary display in DOS?

Every card behaves differently. FX series for example clone the image. So best to test all of this yourself with whatever parts you have.

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 4 of 12, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
PhilsComputerLab wrote:

Every card behaves differently. FX series for example clone the image. So best to test all of this yourself with whatever parts you have.

I would expect it's video BIOS dependent.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 8 of 12, by matze79

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

i use a Radeon 7000 PCI with DVI, it has a very good Image, i also use a DVI2HDMI Adapter on it.
Works very well!

https://www.retrokits.de - blog, retro projects, hdd clicker, diy soundcards etc
https://www.retroianer.de - german retro computer board

Reply 9 of 12, by Ace

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I can't speak for the GeForce 4 Ti4600, but I've used the GeForce FX5600 and GeForce 6200 under DOS over DVI and the result was pretty good aside from some smoothing. What I particularly like about these cards, despite their smoothing, is the video displays in 1920x1080 on my TV, which, if you do a lot of video capture like I do, is a good thing since this resolution is accepted by pretty much any capture device (though most can only record at 30FPS).

However, I have not been able to get a single ATi card with DVI to display properly on my TV. I remember using a Radeon 7000 PCI like Matze79 did, but I honestly don't recall what the end result was, but on the Radeon 9000 and 9800 Pro I have, my TV rejects the video signal, a signal that appears to be upscaled to 1600x1200. My Samsung SyncMaster 244T may be able to accept the signal since it's a native 1920x1200 monitor, but my TV rejects it and so does my Elgato Game Capture HD60, so that's a no-go for me.

Creator of The Many Sounds of:, a collection of various DOS games played using different sound cards.

Reply 10 of 12, by stuvize

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Ace wrote:

I can't speak for the GeForce 4 Ti4600, but I've used the GeForce FX5600 and GeForce 6200 under DOS over DVI and the result was pretty good aside from some smoothing. What I particularly like about these cards, despite their smoothing, is the video displays in 1920x1080 on my TV, which, if you do a lot of video capture like I do, is a good thing since this resolution is accepted by pretty much any capture device (though most can only record at 30FPS).

However, I have not been able to get a single ATi card with DVI to display properly on my TV. I remember using a Radeon 7000 PCI like Matze79 did, but I honestly don't recall what the end result was, but on the Radeon 9000 and 9800 Pro I have, my TV rejects the video signal, a signal that appears to be upscaled to 1600x1200. My Samsung SyncMaster 244T may be able to accept the signal since it's a native 1920x1200 monitor, but my TV rejects it and so does my Elgato Game Capture HD60, so that's a no-go for me.

The lack of VBE 3.0 may be why TVs don't like ATI or some other brands I ran into this trying to use TV as monitor Nvidia/3dfx are the only cards that would display properly, also in my experience Nvidia cards often have a poor quality image on DVI/HDMI seems to be a underlying issue at Nvidia this poor quality output is why MS claims they chose a ATI chip for the Xbox360 over Nvidia which was in the first Xbox. Although there do seem to be exceptions most LCDs look fine through HDMI if set to there native resolution when using a Nvidia chip but really soft looking at non native resolutions DLP TVs do not like Nvidia through DVI/HDMI at all looks much better through VGA or component

Reply 11 of 12, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Ti 4600 should output fine but I'm not sure what to expect when you actually try game output modes through it.

Radeon prior to the X series had quite iffy DVI compliance. R200 and R100 chips especially.