VOGONS

Reply 20 of 41, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
HighTreason wrote:

See, now those need to be banned. On the other hand, a lot of them seem to just add like 5p every second remaining after I bid and I still win. Whether that's because people don't know how to configure them or they suck I wouldn't know, having never done it myself. They don't really change anything because your max bid is still your max bid no matter what, so really they just seem like added work for no real gain to me.

Also, as payback, everyone I've known who used one ended up getting phished by their little script kiddie toy they had downloaded. Karma is a bitch.

I snipe manually with 1-2 seconds left of the auction. The good thing with this method is when Im buisy doing something else or forgets an auction I cant buy stuff, it saves money.

New PC: i9 12900K @5GHz all cores @1.2v. MSI PRO Z690-A. 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14. 3070Ti.
Old PC: Dual Xeon X5690@4.6GHz, EVGA SR-2, 48GB DDR3R@2000MHz, Intel X25-M. GTX 980ti.
Older PC: K6-3+ 400@600MHz, PC-Chips M577, 256MB SDRAM, AWE64, Voodoo Banshee.

Reply 21 of 41, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Skyscraper wrote:

I snipe manually with 1-2 seconds left of the auction. The good thing with this method is when Im buisy doing something else or forgets an auction I cant buy stuff, it saves money.

Touche!

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 22 of 41, by Unknown_K

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I don't think sniping helps much of high value collectable items.

Nice to see that older rarities command some value, is this hobby going to turn into a rich person only hobby like rare hotrod cars did?

Collector of old computers, hardware, and software

Reply 23 of 41, by carlostex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The AdLib Gold is a card worth having. But not for that price. I would totally spend $100 on a loose one and it is supported by 200+ games. The Sound Blaster 16's which was the AdLib Gold main competitor are cheap junk compared to the Gold.

Reply 24 of 41, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
carlostex wrote:

The AdLib Gold is a card worth having. But not for that price. I would totally spend $100 on a loose one and it is supported by 200+ games. The Sound Blaster 16's which was the AdLib Gold main competitor are cheap junk compared to the Gold.

Both yes and no. It all depends on, if you are looking at it compatibility wise or looking at the sound quality.
I clearly remember reading the review, drooling at the card. At that time, I was an Adlib fanboy and hated that Creative kept taking the crown.
For me at that time, I was like "Get the f**k off my lawn" towards Creative. For me, it was eighter GUS or Adlib that mattered.

Anyway...
The review just kicked the Adlib Gold, right in the middle of the guts. As the computer magazines at that time, was all about sound effect's.
None cared about music as adlib was just something you wanted in Opl-2 or 3. They did not care for music, other than how the music
was composed. None cared about the actual hardware quality. Man... I wanted that Gold back then.
The Adlib-Gold was instead hailed as the best, if you did not care for muted sound effects in games at that time.
What they did, was to forsee the failure of the Adlib Gold, as they said that if it only have had SB-Pro, then it would have been the ultimate
card at that time... Actually... I can't really remember if they wrote SB-Pro or SB16 in that review article.
It would have been nice, if I had kept that magacine. As it was one of those giga-reviews with something like 10 soundcards.

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 25 of 41, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

IIRC there were OPL4-based sound cards for the MSX being made relatively recently, based on NOS chips. Maybe it's time to re-engineer the Gold a la Shock's Interwave project.

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 26 of 41, by Dreamer_of_the_past

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I personally don't care about AdLib sound cards simple because I don't know anything about them and I heard that there are better options available, but the price will most likely change. Some people are probably just playing around and going to retract their bids closer to the end of auction.

Reply 27 of 41, by stamasd

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Dang, I could get a decent gaming computer for the price of that card right now. Or even a used car. Not a good car, but still...

I would be more interested in the AVM Summit MIDI module from the same seller. Anyone here have any experience with how it sounds?

I/O, I/O,
It's off to disk I go,
With a bit and a byte
And a read and a write,
I/O, I/O

Reply 28 of 41, by FGB

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Sorry, I cant stand the discussion. The inner value of some retro item cant be determined by its value of use. Of course the Adlib GOLD is a very limited card from a perspective of gamers. Even Dune is a Music-Only game with the AdLib GOLD while it is a full SFX-MUSIC game with a SoundBlaster. But from its historical point of view the GOLD is THE FIRST SOUND CARD EVER featuring the OPL3 synth from Yamaha, routing its output to the unique Philips mixer which makes its sound sound clear and richer than every other OPL3 sound card.

Last edited by FGB on 2016-03-13, 15:37. Edited 1 time in total.

www.AmoRetro.de Visit my huge hardware gallery with many historic items from 16MHz 286 to 1000MHz Slot A. Includes more than 80 soundcards and a growing Wavetable Recording section with more than 300 recordings.

Reply 30 of 41, by FGB

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That is just a matter of rarity for a collectors item. Rarity often beats functionality. But who knows how far it goes. eBay deals don't always reflect real-life transactions.

www.AmoRetro.de Visit my huge hardware gallery with many historic items from 16MHz 286 to 1000MHz Slot A. Includes more than 80 soundcards and a growing Wavetable Recording section with more than 300 recordings.

Reply 31 of 41, by ExTneicsol

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

What i've found really annoying is when (i was watching a item lately) a item jump from 75$ to 150$ without between bid and the bider have zero feedback, first biding, no selling ... and it is fair to think it have something to do with the seller ... i found it very disgusting ... i you want a specific price, make a reserve price or a buy it now price ...

Reply 32 of 41, by HighTreason

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The worst one to happen to me was a Sega HKT-01 some years ago, back when I wasn't so poor. I remember nobody bid on it except like two people who had fuck all money - probably the seller just boosting the price/making it appear people were more interested - so at the last minute I threw in my max bid and won. I can't remember the amount, it was more than I wanted to pay but I was younger and had nothing better to do, we'll say ~$300.

Great, I won! Now to go and pay for this thing. I went to go and pay but all that happened was the PayPal page kept loading - literally just their landing page, nothing else - eBay had a different interface back then and strange things did sometimes happen, especially if the seller had their own "checkout" setup. I navigated back to the auction page to start the payment process over, having not entered any details to PayPal I had not officially spent anything yet and I figured it was just a one off bug and the seller probably had a retarded checkout system hooked up... Yeah... The item sold for about $120 to someone else. I still had my e-mail to say I had won so I tried eBay and I tried the seller, but nobody was going to help. The item and the seller's account then mysteriously disappeared so by the time eBay got back to me there was nothing they could do.

It wasn't such a big deal because I hadn't paid and nothing ever came of it, but I wanted that dev kit damn it. I suppose on the bright side, the chances are the seller didn't actually have one and was doing something dodgy trying to rip people off. Then again, similar things happened with two smaller items but in those cases when I hit "Pay Now" the page just reloaded and then stated I had lost despite the winning bid being less than what I had previously seen a win message for, perhaps the system was too slow to catch it properly. The dev kit though, I had already bid significantly more than the winning bid over an hour before and had only put more on at the last minute to make sure, definitely something fishy.

This was in 2008 or 2009 somewhere, the whole system is different now.

As for those custom checkouts, I hated those things, I even got a strike on my account for one because I bought from a US seller and his checkout had no idea what was going on so, in short, I couldn't pay. I wrote to the guy and instead of trying to help or cancelling the purchase, he instead went off on some rant about me being a waste of space and reported me to eBay for not paying, even though I had explained to him that his retarded checkout had no idea what a UK address was and therefore wouldn't allow the payment stages to complete (After entering your address, the system would have gone to PayPal on the next page, without a "valid" address you couldn't get to that page to pay for the item). I got a strike for that and I did nothing wrong, that stopped me buying a few things for quite a while - this was in 2007 - but, luckily, everyone else who had one either let me pay a different way or cancelled the purchase. As for the guy who got me the strike, don't offer international shipping if you can't accept international addresses, not that this is really relevant today as eBay seem to have done away with that stupid system some time ago. The problem today is those computer component sellers who automatically sign you up to their site and their newsletter when you buy something, can't tell you how many times I've had to cancel my account on one of them because they've been good at changing their name and omitting this information from their terms of sale.

My Youtube - My Let's Plays - SoundCloud - My FTP (Drivers and more)

Reply 34 of 41, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
HighTreason wrote:
The worst one to happen to me was a Sega HKT-01 some years ago, back when I wasn't so poor. I remember nobody bid on it except l […]
Show full quote

The worst one to happen to me was a Sega HKT-01 some years ago, back when I wasn't so poor. I remember nobody bid on it except like two people who had fuck all money - probably the seller just boosting the price/making it appear people were more interested - so at the last minute I threw in my max bid and won. I can't remember the amount, it was more than I wanted to pay but I was younger and had nothing better to do, we'll say ~$300.

Great, I won! Now to go and pay for this thing. I went to go and pay but all that happened was the PayPal page kept loading - literally just their landing page, nothing else - eBay had a different interface back then and strange things did sometimes happen, especially if the seller had their own "checkout" setup. I navigated back to the auction page to start the payment process over, having not entered any details to PayPal I had not officially spent anything yet and I figured it was just a one off bug and the seller probably had a retarded checkout system hooked up... Yeah... The item sold for about $120 to someone else. I still had my e-mail to say I had won so I tried eBay and I tried the seller, but nobody was going to help. The item and the seller's account then mysteriously disappeared so by the time eBay got back to me there was nothing they could do.

It wasn't such a big deal because I hadn't paid and nothing ever came of it, but I wanted that dev kit damn it. I suppose on the bright side, the chances are the seller didn't actually have one and was doing something dodgy trying to rip people off. Then again, similar things happened with two smaller items but in those cases when I hit "Pay Now" the page just reloaded and then stated I had lost despite the winning bid being less than what I had previously seen a win message for, perhaps the system was too slow to catch it properly. The dev kit though, I had already bid significantly more than the winning bid over an hour before and had only put more on at the last minute to make sure, definitely something fishy.

This was in 2008 or 2009 somewhere, the whole system is different now.

As for those custom checkouts, I hated those things, I even got a strike on my account for one because I bought from a US seller and his checkout had no idea what was going on so, in short, I couldn't pay. I wrote to the guy and instead of trying to help or cancelling the purchase, he instead went off on some rant about me being a waste of space and reported me to eBay for not paying, even though I had explained to him that his retarded checkout had no idea what a UK address was and therefore wouldn't allow the payment stages to complete (After entering your address, the system would have gone to PayPal on the next page, without a "valid" address you couldn't get to that page to pay for the item). I got a strike for that and I did nothing wrong, that stopped me buying a few things for quite a while - this was in 2007 - but, luckily, everyone else who had one either let me pay a different way or cancelled the purchase. As for the guy who got me the strike, don't offer international shipping if you can't accept international addresses, not that this is really relevant today as eBay seem to have done away with that stupid system some time ago. The problem today is those computer component sellers who automatically sign you up to their site and their newsletter when you buy something, can't tell you how many times I've had to cancel my account on one of them because they've been good at changing their name and omitting this information from their terms of sale.

Chances were that seller was laundering money through eBay with that fraudulent account and it is surprisingly common especially with those sky high priced auctions that no one in their right mind would buy. The fake bids are especially disgusting /rage and even worse when they jack up the price in the last seconds but just enough to not go over your max bid.

Amazon has problems with scam sellers but at least Amazon customer support is Fast once you file a complaint.

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 35 of 41, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
PeterLI wrote:

LAPC-Is, CM-500s and, CM-64s CM-32Ls pop up pretty regularly. AdLib Gold's do not. 😀

May as well have popcorn and drinks ready if a good old bidding war really gets going and the price balloons to many thousands of dollars 😈
INB4 winning bidder doesn't pay and the card pops up for sale again at a price that people are not interested (seen this happen before).

Reply 37 of 41, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Stojke wrote:

You could literally make a new card with less money 🤣

No kidding 🤣
May as well reverse engineer a clone then make like 10,000 of them and go to town 😎

Reply 38 of 41, by mr_bigmouth_502

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I literally want one of these just so I can attach the 3D sound module to it and use it for Dune. Kinda pricy for just that one thing though.

Reply 39 of 41, by PeterLI

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

As we saw with the IMFCs that appeared this year there is very limited demand for this stuff. So 10Ks will never sell.

Vintage computing is a very limited hobby compared to other hobbies and most people in it have a limited budget or do not want to spend $.