VOGONS

First post, by rein_ein

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

So today a jewel traced through coal...
I obtained bundle for 80$ - Asus L1N64-SLI WS and 2x Opteron 2350 quad core Barcelona core
First of all i decide to test them together...no boot,then just single cpu...still no boot,finally decide to try luck with dual core 2216 that has chipped textolite... and it works!
So the problem is... its not B version so it cant work with it(quad cores) by default... flashes last official bios 0505... and still no quad core support...
What i want is mighty Vogons lurkers(probably some owners around) to help me find hacked 0506 bios for that mobo that help it work with quad cores
And yes i already try bios from Asus L1N64-SLI WS/B and flash tools just keep screwing me telling i have wrong board 😵

Edit:Flased with 0602 bios from Asus L1N64-SLI WS/B
IpBlYqNl.jpg rptWrZZl.jpg

Last edited by rein_ein on 2016-03-15, 16:47. Edited 1 time in total.

3x5uzq-5.png
4sv43l-5.png

Reply 1 of 6, by rein_ein

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Ok after upgrading/degrading default bioses i finally bruteforce flashed it through default Ez Flash... so now it recognizing as L1N64-SLI WS/B but now it boots with kingstone ram only and still not boots with quad core,perharps coz i have no ECC or REG ram

3x5uzq-5.png
4sv43l-5.png

Reply 2 of 6, by havli

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm not sure about this particular board, but in general server/WS Opterons usually require ECC Reg memory.

HW museum.cz - my collection of PC hardware

Reply 3 of 6, by rein_ein

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Dual core 2216 boots up well with standard non ecc non reg,probably because its almost same as FX's

3x5uzq-5.png
4sv43l-5.png

Reply 4 of 6, by rein_ein

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Alright success,seems latest bios works well,and i obtained 1gb stick of registered ecc samsung ram,system posts with 1 quad core 2350 yay!!!,nevertheless because it has 2 x nForce 680a SLI chipsets(for each cpu individual) it wont posts with 2 cpus and 1 stick,seems need one more stick
//but fact i can make my own pretty exclusive octa-core sli monster made me happy//

3x5uzq-5.png
4sv43l-5.png

Reply 5 of 6, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Ideally you want 4 sticks of ECC (or more) as the memory controllers on the CPUs are dual channel.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 6 of 6, by rein_ein

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
gdjacobs wrote:

Ideally you want 4 sticks of ECC (or more) as the memory controllers on the CPUs are dual channel.

True that,for now i found pair of 2gb kingston sticks for cheap,but it in region and seem to arrive closer to end of week

3x5uzq-5.png
4sv43l-5.png