VOGONS

First post, by elfuego

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi guys,

long time no see 😎 I know there was talk about this somewhere around here, but as I was not really around for a while, I forgot where things are. What I'd like to do is to extract and remaster the midi files from an old game, Knights of Xentar. Does any one have an idea how to do this?

Thanks! 😀

Reply 1 of 6, by zerker

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

There are some Dos or Windows tools that attempt to search through binaries or resource files and extract midi files. The other option is just record the midi data as it plays. Either you can use two computers with gameport midi cables or USB midi cables, or DosBox and software redirect to whatever you are using to store the midi with.

Here is a huge write up on many possibilities with a lot more specifics:
http://mirsoft.info/gamemids-ripping-guide.php

Also have a look around the same web site to see if someone has already extracted the music you want.

Reply 2 of 6, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Great site, zerker. Thanks for the link. I didn't realize there were so many Windows games that supported MIDI. I thought MIDI in games stopped at DOS.

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 3 of 6, by elfuego

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Nice site, thanks! I know about the midi-out to midi-in way, I read it here ten years ago. I did not know of the winamp convert the tunes; I will have to try it 😀

Reply 4 of 6, by Jepael

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
elfuego wrote:

Hi guys,

long time no see 😎 I know there was talk about this somewhere around here, but as I was not really around for a while, I forgot where things are. What I'd like to do is to extract and remaster the midi files from an old game, Knights of Xentar. Does any one have an idea how to do this?

Thanks! 😀

What sound card the music used?
I mean, it could be MIDI, but it will sound very different when played on FM synth or wavetable sound card.