VOGONS

Daemon Tools in Windows 95

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by Great Hierophant

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The last version of Daemon Tools that supports Windows 9x is v3.4.7. Daemon Tools supports virtually every CD image format, bin/cue, img/cue, mdf/mds. ccd/img/sub, nrg, iso and more and can emulate most of the CD protections in use at the time. Installing Daemon Tools, v3.4.7 in Windows 95 requires three additions. First is the Windows Installer 2.0 which is fairly innocuous.

Second is the USB Supplement, which is located on the Windows 95 OSR 2.1 CD. OSR 2.1 is the earliest version of Windows 95 which supports USB officially. I am not sure if OSR 2.5 installs the USB Supplement automatically. Considering the somewhat limited support for USB devices in Windows 95, I see little reason to install it.

Third is Internet Explorer 4.0, which can be downloaded from OldApps.com. IE4.0 also comes with Windows 95 OSR 2.5 and adds the additional features even with a standalone install on OSR 2.1. These features seriously impact the performance of the Windows Explorer shell and are generally not considered a desirable addition.

Why install Daemon Tools at all on a Windows 9x machine? As a CD emulator it works very well on Windows 98SE. No stress is added to the CD drive, loading times are decreased and you can even enjoy CD audio if your game and image supports it. If you store your CD Images on a network drive, you can enjoy access to nearly unlimited storage for these images instead of the 128GB max safely allowed by Windows 98SE. While you still need to use a physical CD in real mode DOS, many DOS CD games are Windows 9x tolerant.

After installing all the above, at this point, Windows 95 is so close to Windows 98 that you may want to just install Windows 98SE. I did all this and I did not enjoy the new Windows Explorer shell. Plus, CDs loaded with Daemon Tools crashed hard. I uninstalled DT and the rest of these updates. Even after removing IE 4.0 it left remnants of itself in my Program Files, Windows and who knows where else. Anyone else have a more positive experience or a CD emulator that works but does not require things like an IE update?

http://nerdlypleasures.blogspot.com/ - Nerdly Pleasures - My Retro Gaming, Computing & Tech Blog

Reply 2 of 11, by mrau

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

microsoft and uninstalling does not go together; as for IE4 the shell extensions can be omitted or disabled(i dont remember) also you can just switch to the old windows 3.1 shell which is what i liked best (fast even on my hardware); as for the crashing i can't really say anything - anything repeateble in the crashes? is it DT that crashes or the games/windows?i would like to suggest experimenting with a VM first, and once you get stability there move to real hardware;

Reply 4 of 11, by skitters

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I used to use something called CD Bremse in Windows 95 and 98.
It would keep the CD drive from spinning down, and would also keep the drive spinning at a slow rate.
The result was that I didn't have to sit and wait for the drive to spin up after it had spun down, and it never sounded like a Lear jet taking off.
I don't know if it would work so well with modern CD drives though, and it did not create a virtual CD drive -- only a quiet CD drive that was faster to respond because it never spun down.

Reply 5 of 11, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Daemon Tools require desktop update which comes with IE4
Minimal install for DOSBox/95 gaming

I've never tried to see if you could somhow only install the desktop update and/or create a wrapper for it's functions.

You could also try just using an explorer.exe pre ie4 and see if that works.

Alot of apps may require IE4 Desktop Update. ex DosBox, Daemon Tools, etc.

To remove IE completely:
http://www.litepc.com/ieradicator.html

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 8 of 11, by Azarien

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
skitters wrote:

I used to use something called CD Bremse in Windows 95 and 98.

I don't know if it would work so well with modern CD drives though, and it did not create a virtual CD drive -- only a quiet CD drive that was faster to respond because it never spun down.

I tried it several days ago on Windows 10. It doesn't run.
I think it's Windows-related, not drive-related.

Reply 10 of 11, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

What happens when you try to run SHSUCDHD in autoexec.bat before Windows 95 starts?
Using ISO images in DOS

I imagine it might cause Windows to run in "compatibility mode" for the virtual drive, which would slow things down.