Windows 98 DirectX 9

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 30, by mockingbird

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
swaaye wrote:
Seeing about 5 threads about this in the past year or so has me experimenting again. […]
Show full quote

Seeing about 5 threads about this in the past year or so has me experimenting again.

Thus far I've found one example of DirectX 8-9 being a problem in 98SE. If you run a Vortex 2 card and play Wheel of Time, WoT.exe will completely lock the PC the second time you try to run the game. If I uninstall the Vortex 2 driver (2041) or revert to DirectX 7.0A, this no longer occurs. I tried DirectX 8.0, 8.1, 9.0b and 9.0c and each exhibits this issue.

Lots of games seem to work fine. I recall this being a problem with Sin and Homeworld but I haven't gotten to those games yet. Homeworld Cataclysm works ok though.

So be wary of your old sound card drivers if you must run > DirectX 7.0a.

Yes, DirectX 9 (or even 8 for that matter) breaks certain games... MotoRacer is a good example.

mslrlv.png
(Decommissioned:)
7ivtic.png

Reply 22 of 30, by notsofossil

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
swaaye wrote:

It's not. I know the ATI installer warns you about it but you can definitely run say Catalyst 6.2 with DirectX 7. I was doing this just a few days ago.

Yeah, except the ATi installer won't let you go any further without DirectX 9.0c.

Thinkpad T42 Win9x Drivers | Latitude D600 Win9x Drivers
Next: Dell Inspiron 8000

Reply 23 of 30, by maximus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
mockingbird wrote:

Yes, DirectX 9 (or even 8 for that matter) breaks certain games... MotoRacer is a good example.

Moto Racer runs fine over here (Windows 98 SE, DirectX 9.0c, Forceware 45.23, GeForce4 MX440). Just needs a couple of command line switches:

-NoDuplicateSurfaces (fixes white bikes problem)
-ZBuffer (gets rid of Z-fighting artifacts)

You can also remove the 30 FPS cap with -FrameRateMax0, but this breaks the physics to some degree. Running with the -h switch will print a full list of command line switches.

Edit: This is with the 3.22 patch.

PCGames9505

Reply 24 of 30, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
notsofossil wrote:

Yeah, except the ATi installer won't let you go any further without DirectX 9.0c.

I wasn't sure about this so I reinstalled 98SE from scratch and installed Catalyst 6.2 for a 9800 Pro. It doesn't even warn about DirectX version. It installed without issue on 7.0a.

Maybe some other Catalyst versions are a problem.

Reply 25 of 30, by sprcorreia

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
swaaye wrote:
notsofossil wrote:

I wasn't sure about this so I reinstalled 98SE from scratch and installed Catalyst 6.2 for a 9800 Pro. It doesn't even warn about DirectX version. It installed without issue on 7.0a.

Maybe some other Catalyst versions are a problem.

True. I'm installing 6.2 right now on a clean windows 98SE install and no problems with DirectX.

Reply 26 of 30, by notsofossil

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I think the ATi Catalyst driver I'm using is different or newer than 6.2. Are you using standard Catalyst driver packages? I more frequently use those from OEM builders like Dell and IBM.

Thinkpad T42 Win9x Drivers | Latitude D600 Win9x Drivers
Next: Dell Inspiron 8000

Reply 27 of 30, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
notsofossil wrote:

I think the ATi Catalyst driver I'm using is different or newer than 6.2. Are you using standard Catalyst driver packages? I more frequently use those from OEM builders like Dell and IBM.

It's the 6.2 direct from AMD/ATI.

I am positive I've seen their installer warn about having DirectX up to date but apparently that's not with 6.2.

Reply 28 of 30, by colpoz

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
swaaye wrote:

I typically run DirectX 7.0a because after lots of experimentation over the years I've found this version to be the last really stable choice. Anything beyond that and I see more frequent BSODs, especially with subsequent launches of 3D programs during a single session.

Did you have BSODs ecc... with DX8 or DX9 just when using an Aureal Vortex2 (driver newer than 2015) or in general?

I don't understand if the common DX7 reccomandation is valid only for Aureal cards or always.

RetroPc I: Asus P3V4X - PentiumIII 1000MHz - 256MB Ram - Geforce3 Ti 200 - SLI VoodooII 12MB - Aureal Vortex2 - HDD 80GB - Win98 SE
RetroPc II: Asus P5A - K6-2 333MHz - 64MB Ram - Geforce2 MX - Voodoo 4MB - Soundblaster AWE64 - HDD 13GB - Win95

Reply 29 of 30, by hyoenmadan

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
colpoz wrote:

I don't understand if the common DX7 reccomandation is valid only for Aureal cards or always.

You can test special cases, but recommendation for hardware case is for any system using VxD drivers for things like Sound and Joystick, or old Video driver versions, like nVidia Detonator series (Detonator works better with Dx7). For systems using only WDM drivers (.sys drivers), is pretty safe to update to Dx9, taking in count it doesn't break any of your software or games.

Reply 30 of 30, by SilverHawk

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hope this is not too much of a necro, but wanted to share my experience. I stumbled upon this thread while researching an issue I was having with artifacts with my Voodoo2SLi and Forsaken. I first tried different Voodoo2 drivers, and found no resolution to issues I was seeing. In fact, I referenced Phil's SLi scaling documentation and confirmed the same driver versions. When I ran the game with my primary display device, I saw no graphical issues. I then began to suspect either some compatibility issue with DirectX9.0a version or a problem with Voodoo2 cards. I considered using a DirectX removal tool to roll back to earlier version, but opted to upgrade to DirectX9.0c first. I am happy to report this removed the artifacts I had seen in Forsaken. Not conclusive evidence of a compatibility issue, but it resolved the issue I was seeing.