VOGONS

PCMCIA Graphics and Video decoding cards

Topic actions

Reply 60 of 77, by Mike1978

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So I installed it under Windows XP on a Toshiba Equium L20-198 which is maxed out on ram and had the fastest cpu it can run and SSD of course..

The device installs fine and I can see it listed under device manager however not as a display adapter but as a pci device. This matches with the installer pdf.

I haven’t fathomed out how to select it to use the device natively as the primary display device no options under windows under display settings at all.

However I was able to get it to run using the supplied samples that were included with the drivers I was shared.

So some pictures of those samples running via the card to my monitor.

B61ABC23-BC20-4857-A249-677EAA4A057E.jpeg
Filename
File size
1.44 MiB
Views
File license
Public domain
8635050C-4E3E-4613-9EB3-FAC4BBB435F4.jpeg
Filename
File size
1014.11 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain
F67DA201-9BB9-45EB-AC09-273E317089C0.jpeg
Filename
File size
1.23 MiB
Views
File license
Public domain
35BCAF0F-CA1F-4936-9DF2-6564A3BD6CB2.jpeg
Filename
File size
1.54 MiB
Views
File license
Public domain
C7C7B669-89FA-472B-A4A3-7BE47027387A.jpeg
Filename
File size
1.52 MiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Reply 61 of 77, by Mike1978

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Some device manager shots:

D25621D7-2A73-4745-9F87-ECC314E67023.jpeg
Filename
D25621D7-2A73-4745-9F87-ECC314E67023.jpeg
File size
37.1 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain
EC74C2F1-2151-4BA6-B248-85C2B906D861.jpeg
Filename
EC74C2F1-2151-4BA6-B248-85C2B906D861.jpeg
File size
30.83 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain
EA2E18B8-1AF3-41ED-A1DB-94EAB32680DE.jpeg
Filename
EA2E18B8-1AF3-41ED-A1DB-94EAB32680DE.jpeg
File size
38.8 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain
A76DCFB1-F59E-48BB-958B-327FFC70826F.jpeg
Filename
A76DCFB1-F59E-48BB-958B-327FFC70826F.jpeg
File size
33.4 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain
7A472393-4443-4489-85AB-621CFDB4632A.jpeg
Filename
7A472393-4443-4489-85AB-621CFDB4632A.jpeg
File size
34.89 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Reply 63 of 77, by lolo799

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Good of you to have insisted for the drivers!
Uploading the docs and samples would be nice too, please.

Maybe the card isn't intended to be used as a display device except to output whatever it is programmed to do specifically.

PCMCIA Sound, Storage & Graphics

Reply 64 of 77, by Mike1978

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
lolo799 wrote on 2022-03-09, 14:17:

Good of you to have insisted for the drivers!
Uploading the docs and samples would be nice too, please.

Maybe the card isn't intended to be used as a display device except to output whatever it is programmed to do specifically.

Yeah I’d thought of this also, happy to upload them is there somewhere I can post them to for storing I know there was the sister site with drivers.

Happy to share all the files as I think it’s good they are more public ally available.

I have them zipped jointly at 31.6mb or individually zipped as delivered as: drivers 1.4mb, docs 9mb and samples 20.6mb

Reply 65 of 77, by lolo799

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You could maybe edit the .inf to force Windows to identify it as a display driver, as far as results you'll get, don't expect much...
There's vogonsdrivers.com, you'll have to PM whoever is in charge of it.
You might temporary use a filehosting website too.

PCMCIA Sound, Storage & Graphics

Reply 66 of 77, by Mike1978

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

For now I’ve reached out to a forum member to try and get this on to vogonsdrivers.com

But as an immediate term measure I’ve added a public share on Google drive:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1-8NGM … ey68UPQsJqJq-WY

Hopefully it works

They are zipped as received.

Btw I forgot to mention the card has video capture capability and there are again samples that use this input. I’m not sure what I have with a composite output and it may require I find some suitable cable but if I can I’ll attempt to put an input into it.

Reply 68 of 77, by Mike1978

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Sunoo wrote on 2022-03-09, 16:27:

Archive.org would probably be a pretty good place to put that stuff as well.

Attempted to post to archive.org but they thought it was malware in the zip files.

So my Google link above is as received from Axell

I don’t believe it contains malware so I suspect it’s a false positive from archive.org

Reply 69 of 77, by ncrs

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi there, kind people.

Got a Sony PCG-505TR 300MMX/128Mb/32Gb SSD/NeoMagic 128, but it can't any 3D.
Want to find Village tronic VTBook to get D3D for older era 3D-games, like Q1/2, Dark Omen, Tomb Rider, Blood II...

Seems 300MMX will do the job for these games.
What do you think about it.

P.S. Sry for offtop. Is there any thread at Vogons, where a person could ask for help buying something in another country?
Want to buy VTBook, found one, but can't contact with the seller, 'cos the trading place is in Serbia, and the registration fails, no other contact info in lot or profile.
Maybe someone can guide me to the correct place to ask for help.

Reply 70 of 77, by ncrs

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Got VTBook, tried to install on PCG-505tr with 4 variants of W2K SP4/5, 1 WinXp SP3 - no luck, it always BSODs, any order installing the card itself and the drivers. No VTBook inserted - OK, the system boots and works excellent, inserting in Windows or before power on always leads to BSOD.
Drivers from CD or Internet - doesn't matter.
Off all the integrated devices in BIOS - the same.

The two only things i can imagine are :
. Specific Sony incompatibility
. Drivers require SSE, not supported by 300MMX

Maybe some thoughts or advice?

Reply 71 of 77, by hyoenmadan

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
ncrs wrote on 2023-04-27, 16:25:
Got VTBook, tried to install on PCG-505tr with 4 variants of W2K SP4/5, 1 WinXp SP3 - no luck, it always BSODs, any order instal […]
Show full quote

Got VTBook, tried to install on PCG-505tr with 4 variants of W2K SP4/5, 1 WinXp SP3 - no luck, it always BSODs, any order installing the card itself and the drivers. No VTBook inserted - OK, the system boots and works excellent, inserting in Windows or before power on always leads to BSOD.
Drivers from CD or Internet - doesn't matter.
Off all the integrated devices in BIOS - the same.

The two only things i can imagine are :
. Specific Sony incompatibility
. Drivers require SSE, not supported by 300MMX

Maybe some thoughts or advice?

Doesn't look like a hardware issue, but I may be wrong. Only way to know would be attaching a debugger via serial cable, and check with WinDBG where the driver is actually failing. WinDBG for Win2k3 also can open Win2k and xp *dmp files. You may also try an old version of linux like Knoppix 3.xx and check how the card behaves there. According next page, these VAIOs had picky cardbus slots even on Linux.

https://catalina.org/sonyvaio/

(PD: Page sends certificate errors, but it is an html-only site. Should be safe to browse it)

Reply 72 of 77, by Bondi

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
creepingnet wrote on 2022-02-23, 19:56:
Granted, I only got mine partially working on DOS/W31. It seems these earlier release drivers are quite a bit more janky than t […]
Show full quote
Bondi wrote on 2022-02-23, 17:29:
I've been trying to make my PCCAP (Nogatech clone) capture card working. The CS/SS drivers seem to install fine. But the FullTV […]
Show full quote
creepingnet wrote on 2022-02-20, 08:28:

Try this, I just ripped it from the diskette 5 min ago to my Linux box. LMK if this one works. You should know it's correct if the install program asks if you have a Versa Ultralite/E/V/M/P model computer.

I've been trying to make my PCCAP (Nogatech clone) capture card working. The CS/SS drivers seem to install fine. But the FullTV program does not work. It starts, but all I can see is a black screen. Does it have some kind of interface? And does it run on it's own, without card installed?
I also could not locate any capture card specific driver, so I assumed FullTV works with it directly. Is it the case?
Could you please elaborate a bit how you made it work in DOS.
I use Cardsoft drivers.

Granted, I only got mine partially working on DOS/W31. It seems these earlier release drivers are quite a bit more janky than the ones you or someone put up here for Win95. I get the blank screen a lot. It seems the least flaky on my Versa M/75, which sometimes I'll get colored bars down the screen or I'll get a "No Signal" listing even with a video source plugged in. I noticed the Win95 drivers needed "Game mode" enabled to capture video off my 8-bit NES or Atari 2600 without sync issues.

So to get the card working in DOS you need Card Services Loaded. On the NEC Versa Ultralite/E/V/M/P models these had a driver for the Cirrus PCMCIA chipset, which is very odd because the card's manual (I really should put that thing in PDF format) says to use a different driver than the one that comes with those laptops (CIRRUS drivers - C:\CARDSOFT - which it was obviously made for based on the install program for Windows 3.1 but odd they use a different driver in the documents, should be in the README.TXT).

When setting up an NEC Versa Ultralite/E/V/M/P as it was from the factory (MS-DOS 6.xx, Windows 3.1) the utilities or system software diskette(s) will linstall card services to c:\CARDSOFT. This is the SCIRRUS driver. This is the driver that makes use of the NOGATECH.CLB file to allocate system resources for the card (380h for the memory address) - surprisingly those CLB files are plaintext so they can be edited.

Another thing I've been using to check and make sure card services are working properly is the Windows 3.1x version of Cardinfo should show the NOGATECH NogaVision card listed, and when DOS is loading there should be 2 beeps (low->high) to indicate that Card Services found PCMCIA cards installed.. This is where it gets REALLY flaky. Sometimes the cards are detected but the program can't figure out what they are, sometimes the cards are detected and the program only has partial information or finds only oone of the two card's information. Somtimes it works as intended - that's usually when I get the "No Signal" in FullTV.

That said, I'm going to need to play around with it some more. It's just really hard as I'm dealing with a lot personally and professionally right now so I've not been doing very much with viintage PC's outside of playing games on them and surfing the web sometimes.

So I got my PCCAP(Nogathech clone) working in Win 3.x on a Thinkpad 360CE. I used these drivers Re: PCMCIA Graphics and Video decoding cards
It worked with standard IBM CS/SS drivers, emm386 loaded with D000-DFFF memory frame excluded and nvtsr.exe loaded in autoexec.bat. In Windows one has to install the applications and after that all magically worked.
But the FullTV DOS application is still a mystery for me. It shows just black screen, and exits if any key os pressed. Same is in DOSBox. If I load vesa.exe driver it shows some garbled lines.

PCMCIA Sound Cards chart
archive.org: PCMCIA software, manuals, drivers

Reply 73 of 77, by Mike1978

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Mike1978 wrote on 2022-03-09, 16:14:
For now I’ve reached out to a forum member to try and get this on to vogonsdrivers.com […]
Show full quote

For now I’ve reached out to a forum member to try and get this on to vogonsdrivers.com

But as an immediate term measure I’ve added a public share on Google drive:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1-8NGM … ey68UPQsJqJq-WY

Hopefully it works

They are zipped as received.

Btw I forgot to mention the card has video capture capability and there are again samples that use this input. I’m not sure what I have with a composite output and it may require I find some suitable cable but if I can I’ll attempt to put an input into it.

I did eventually load these to Vogons drivers so if anyone interested they can be found there..

It’s been sat doing nothing since owning it I suspect if someone knows what they are doing they can create something with the reference drivers..

I’d be open to selling it on if anyone here interested.

I did the hard work of getting the unobtainable driver..

http://vogonsdrivers.com

Search under graphics for Axell and the 3 folders are listed. I won’t link directly to the drivers as it violates the rules of the hosting server.

Mike

Reply 74 of 77, by creepingnet

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Bondi wrote on 2023-07-04, 13:17:
So I got my PCCAP(Nogathech clone) working in Win 3.x on a Thinkpad 360CE. I used these drivers Re: PCMCIA Graphics and Video d […]
Show full quote
creepingnet wrote on 2022-02-23, 19:56:
Granted, I only got mine partially working on DOS/W31. It seems these earlier release drivers are quite a bit more janky than t […]
Show full quote
Bondi wrote on 2022-02-23, 17:29:
I've been trying to make my PCCAP (Nogatech clone) capture card working. The CS/SS drivers seem to install fine. But the FullTV […]
Show full quote

I've been trying to make my PCCAP (Nogatech clone) capture card working. The CS/SS drivers seem to install fine. But the FullTV program does not work. It starts, but all I can see is a black screen. Does it have some kind of interface? And does it run on it's own, without card installed?
I also could not locate any capture card specific driver, so I assumed FullTV works with it directly. Is it the case?
Could you please elaborate a bit how you made it work in DOS.
I use Cardsoft drivers.

Granted, I only got mine partially working on DOS/W31. It seems these earlier release drivers are quite a bit more janky than the ones you or someone put up here for Win95. I get the blank screen a lot. It seems the least flaky on my Versa M/75, which sometimes I'll get colored bars down the screen or I'll get a "No Signal" listing even with a video source plugged in. I noticed the Win95 drivers needed "Game mode" enabled to capture video off my 8-bit NES or Atari 2600 without sync issues.

So to get the card working in DOS you need Card Services Loaded. On the NEC Versa Ultralite/E/V/M/P models these had a driver for the Cirrus PCMCIA chipset, which is very odd because the card's manual (I really should put that thing in PDF format) says to use a different driver than the one that comes with those laptops (CIRRUS drivers - C:\CARDSOFT - which it was obviously made for based on the install program for Windows 3.1 but odd they use a different driver in the documents, should be in the README.TXT).

When setting up an NEC Versa Ultralite/E/V/M/P as it was from the factory (MS-DOS 6.xx, Windows 3.1) the utilities or system software diskette(s) will linstall card services to c:\CARDSOFT. This is the SCIRRUS driver. This is the driver that makes use of the NOGATECH.CLB file to allocate system resources for the card (380h for the memory address) - surprisingly those CLB files are plaintext so they can be edited.

Another thing I've been using to check and make sure card services are working properly is the Windows 3.1x version of Cardinfo should show the NOGATECH NogaVision card listed, and when DOS is loading there should be 2 beeps (low->high) to indicate that Card Services found PCMCIA cards installed.. This is where it gets REALLY flaky. Sometimes the cards are detected but the program can't figure out what they are, sometimes the cards are detected and the program only has partial information or finds only oone of the two card's information. Somtimes it works as intended - that's usually when I get the "No Signal" in FullTV.

That said, I'm going to need to play around with it some more. It's just really hard as I'm dealing with a lot personally and professionally right now so I've not been doing very much with viintage PC's outside of playing games on them and surfing the web sometimes.

So I got my PCCAP(Nogathech clone) working in Win 3.x on a Thinkpad 360CE. I used these drivers Re: PCMCIA Graphics and Video decoding cards
It worked with standard IBM CS/SS drivers, emm386 loaded with D000-DFFF memory frame excluded and nvtsr.exe loaded in autoexec.bat. In Windows one has to install the applications and after that all magically worked.
But the FullTV DOS application is still a mystery for me. It shows just black screen, and exits if any key os pressed. Same is in DOSBox. If I load vesa.exe driver it shows some garbled lines.

Same is happening to me. Which is crazy. I only got the card to work in Windows 95 on my NEC Versa M/75. I have it installed on my NanTan Notebook FMA9200D as well, and the NEC Versa P/75. On all three, 95 works, 3.1x acts like a jerk to me (which is why I'm doing a deep dive on PCMCIA and Card Management software on my website - I want to learn the kookiness of PCMCIA), but in 95, I was able to capture some actual video from it, albeit at a VERY low resolution. I'm moving to a new place - with a GARAGE no less - so Hopefully I'll have more space and time to play with this stuff in the not too distant future finally.

~The Creeping Network~
My Youtube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/creepingnet
Creepingnet's World - https://creepingnet.neocities.org/
The Creeping Network Repo - https://www.geocities.ws/creepingnet2019/

Reply 75 of 77, by Mike1978

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Mike1978 wrote on 2022-03-09, 13:47:
So I installed it under Windows XP on a Toshiba Equium L20-198 which is maxed out on ram and had the fastest cpu it can run and […]
Show full quote

So I installed it under Windows XP on a Toshiba Equium L20-198 which is maxed out on ram and had the fastest cpu it can run and SSD of course..

The device installs fine and I can see it listed under device manager however not as a display adapter but as a pci device. This matches with the installer pdf.

I haven’t fathomed out how to select it to use the device natively as the primary display device no options under windows under display settings at all.

However I was able to get it to run using the supplied samples that were included with the drivers I was shared.

So some pictures of those samples running via the card to my monitor.

I’ve decided it’s time to sell on the Axell card it’s posted on eBay and global shipping enabled.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/126105688894?mkcid … emis&media=COPY

Hope someone else can use it further and get more from it 😀

Reply 77 of 77, by Mike1978

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Kahenraz wrote on 2023-09-22, 21:34:

Did you try running a game or demo which allows you to choose an alternative output device? This is how early display adapters of the era were meant to be "selected".

I did if I recall - I grew up on the likes of 3dfx but it’s a strange card. I feel almost like it’s sold for a specific purpose to drive graphics on something external in a particular way. These cards were Japan only as was the underlying AG902 I recall trying to learn more about it at the time and beyond this card there were single board computers with that particular chip on it.

As I don’t speak a word of Japanese and a lot of the sites that used to be visible via Yahoo now not being easily reached I feel there’s a big chunk of info missing about them.

However I did post all the documents, drivers and samples online and if you are curious you can view these details.

These were once only available via the Axell website and the site and files are long since forgotten and it was only from begging and pleading with Axell that I got a copy on the express understanding there would be zero support and no more questions. It felt at the time a reasonable bargain as it’s a brick without a driver.

Documents:

http://vogonsdrivers.com/getfile.php?fileid=1926&menustate=0

Samples - these show the card working as per my earlier posts:

http://vogonsdrivers.com/getfile.php?fileid=1 … 7&menustate=1,0

Driver:

http://vogonsdrivers.com/getfile.php?fileid=1 … 8&menustate=1,0

I feel the answer probably lies within the above but I didn’t dig further.

I suspect google translate could handle the document and there are places you can upload a pdf to translate as well if I recall.