VOGONS

MSDOS 6 Networking.

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 33, by Panties

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
chinny22 wrote:
Just to make it nice and simple as you didn't say what the second PC's network card was you need to load 3 drivers in this order […]
Show full quote

Just to make it nice and simple as you didn't say what the second PC's network card was you need to load 3 drivers in this order.
lsl.com (Use same version on all PC's)
<network card specific ODI driver>
ipxodi.com (Use same version on all PC's)

All 3 can found in the ODI folder in the driver below for your intel card
https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/489 … rt-PRODOS2-EXE-

So you can use lsl and ipxodi from here on your other PC's, You will still need to find the other cards specific ODI driver though.
Also this will only give you the basics for IPX gaming, No file sharing or other "advanced" networking features but you have your FTP setup for that anyway

So these 3 drivers, are the only thing we need, to load any IPX dos games? 😀
I load all those 3.... it looks like it is working.... I didnt fire up any DOS games yet to test. Do I need to edit net.cfg?

Reply 21 of 33, by Panties

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yes... it did WORK! on Doom 1! OMG Thank you guys! You Guys are my GURUS!! My first achievement success, simple IPX on MS-DOS! You guys are expert. I never done MSDOS IPX before.

So, a quick Guide:-
PC1 - Dosbox
1. visit http://home.arcor.de/h-a-l-9000/index.html
2. Download http://source.dosbox.com/mb6/DOSBox_Megabuild … 2-installer.exe
3. Install it
4. Download http://home.arcor.de/h-a-l-9000/ne2kstuff/dosodi.zip (contains lsl ipxodi and ne2000)
5. Download and install wincap http://www.winpcap.org/install/default.htm
6. Run Dosbox
7. mount C C:\DOS (whichever path you want to mount it that contains Games files & dosodi.zip extracted files)
8. type "realnic 1" (Look at the console and select your Network Card.. My LAN network card is 1, so it work!)
9. run lsl ne2000 and lastly ipxodi
10. That's it! (I test run with Classic Doom and run ipxsetup.exe and it beep beep, searching for the other player..)

PC2 - My Real DOS
1. Obtain 3 files from the CD that comes with your network card (or download from the internet - google)
2. Mine is Intel PRO/100 S Server Adapter, my CD has lsl.com(same as dosbox) , ipxodi.com (same as dosbox) and E100bodi.com (this filename can be different for every network card)
3. Run according to sequence(add to your autoexec.bat if you need):-
a. lsl.com
b. e100bodi.com
c. ipxodi.com

4. Run your favorate IPX Games! (I test run with ipxsetup.exe from doom, both beep and they found each other, and auto run the game)

I am soo happy with this small achievement! I can't wait to test other IPX games!!

However, the only thing I am not capable, is the install Microsoft Network Client 3.0. (http://www.kompx.com/en/network-setup-in-dos- … work-client.htm)

I'm stuck as "Select an adapter from the list below:".
You see, I try to copy my IntelCD under \DOS directory files, onto Drive A: and run the Ms. Client setup installation.
When I select A:, it cannot find my DOS Driver... @@ What am I missing? @@

Anyway can help/share guides for a noob like me? ^^

Reply 23 of 33, by Sammy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I tested it with screamer2 in Dos.

First load the lsl.com

then your card driver:
Example:
rtsodi for Realtek 8139
pciodi for Realtek 8029

and last:
ipxodi.com

lsl and ipxodi should be the same version on all PCs.

Reply 24 of 33, by firage

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The older monolithic IPX.COM route might be of interest to some weird people. I bought a copy of Netware 3.11 just to be able to generate them for old lines of network cards (like pre-1993) that actually have object drivers available for linking.

My big-red-switch 486

Reply 25 of 33, by Panties

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Sammy wrote:

If it works without net.cfg then you don't need it.

In my driver Package was as sample net.cfg that i have to edit.

Okay... So I assumed it will be auto-compatible? Right? (Sorry, my experience in Networking, is TCP/IP, so I was attuned by the fact that it will need to have a Static IP to re-present itself onto the network.... but IPX, is not the same?)

Reply 26 of 33, by Panties

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Sammy wrote:
I tested it with screamer2 in Dos. […]
Show full quote

First load the lsl.com

then your card driver:
Example:
rtsodi for Realtek 8139
pciodi for Realtek 8029

and last:
ipxodi.com

3 files only. But errm.. what about MS-DOS Networking Client 3.0? Should I bother to install that?

Reply 27 of 33, by Panties

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
firage wrote:

The older monolithic IPX.COM route might be of interest to some weird people. I bought a copy of Netware 3.11 just to be able to generate them for old lines of network cards (like pre-1993) that actually have object drivers available for linking.

Oh... IPX.com? what does it do? I would like to try it...if you don't mind.. 😀

Reply 28 of 33, by Sammy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Panties wrote:
Sammy wrote:
I tested it with screamer2 in Dos. […]
Show full quote

First load the lsl.com

then your card driver:
Example:
rtsodi for Realtek 8139
pciodi for Realtek 8029

and last:
ipxodi.com

3 files only. But errm.. what about MS-DOS Networking Client 3.0? Should I bother to install that?

I don't need to install anything.

Only start lsl.com. (reads net.cfg)
If the there is none then it uses maybe default settings?

then the odi driver for your card.

and last the ipxodi.com

Dos games need the ipx protokoll not tcp/ip.

Reply 29 of 33, by Panties

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Okay.. I followed this Guide - http://www.kompx.com/en/network-setup-in-dos- … work-client.htm

I am stuck at Selecting Driver for my card.. "Select driver for Ethernet network card. If there is no right driver on the list, choose "*Network adapter not shown on list below ..." Enter"

Whenever I put my floppy in and let the installation detect my diskette driver, it didn't find any driver... *hmmmm...*

Where do I get drivers for my Intel card? I tried google, but I still can't figure out how or what to do... T.T

Reply 30 of 33, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Ok quick and dirty DOS networking history to help you understand.

In the early days MS didn't worry about networking. Novel saw a gap in the market and built their Netware Operating system ontop of DOS. (think of it more as a add on)
When you load lsl.com, network card odi driver and ipxodi.com you are actually loading the basics to connect to a netware server. Next step would be to load the netware client package (similar to logging into a windows domain) which would allow file sharing but instead we leave that to the games built in network client/server which only transfers game data.

Once there was enough demand MS also created their own Networking subsystem, which is what DOS Networking Client 3.0 is, Its a completely separate package to Netware and uses different driver model (ndis rather then Novell odi) Dos games don't like this.

Finally you have Windows for workgroups, which again completely separate from DOS networking client.

More recently you also have mtcp, a method to network DOS but completely separate from any of the above.

So with that out the way
Your drivers will probably be hiding in a sub folder, anything that mentions ndis is a good place to try 1st.
Would I recommend setting it up? Not really, You will have to load even more drivers, games don't use it and lack of GUI means you have to map drives to anything you want to connect to. The only good point is it does support TCP/IP.

Personally I prefer Windows for workgoups, Its nice to have a GUI for file management and really is an excuse to use Windows on what is primarily dos games PC, Again supports TCP/IP.

If your not interested in a GUI, FTP gives you better file transfer speeds then the other 2 options.

If you want to set up the MS client just for the hell of it, then I'm not trying to discourage you! It's all just bit of fun end of the day!

Reply 31 of 33, by mbbrutman

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I prefer to look at things like mTCP as more of a throwback to the Unix style of networking - classic Telnet, FTP, and utilities.

Early networking for PCs was centered around file and printer sharing. It assumes that all of the machines are the same; you get to reach into remote filesystems directly.

Unix networking was designed for a heterogeneous environment, which is why we see FTP with BINARY and ASCII modes and why Telnet is a complex protocol with flow control and Telnet commands; they were trying to bridge some very different machines.

Reply 32 of 33, by Panties

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
chinny22 wrote:
Ok quick and dirty DOS networking history to help you understand. […]
Show full quote

Ok quick and dirty DOS networking history to help you understand.

In the early days MS didn't worry about networking. Novel saw a gap in the market and built their Netware Operating system ontop of DOS. (think of it more as a add on)
When you load lsl.com, network card odi driver and ipxodi.com you are actually loading the basics to connect to a netware server. Next step would be to load the netware client package (similar to logging into a windows domain) which would allow file sharing but instead we leave that to the games built in network client/server which only transfers game data.

Once there was enough demand MS also created their own Networking subsystem, which is what DOS Networking Client 3.0 is, Its a completely separate package to Netware and uses different driver model (ndis rather then Novell odi) Dos games don't like this.

Finally you have Windows for workgroups, which again completely separate from DOS networking client.

More recently you also have mtcp, a method to network DOS but completely separate from any of the above.

So with that out the way
Your drivers will probably be hiding in a sub folder, anything that mentions ndis is a good place to try 1st.
Would I recommend setting it up? Not really, You will have to load even more drivers, games don't use it and lack of GUI means you have to map drives to anything you want to connect to. The only good point is it does support TCP/IP.

Personally I prefer Windows for workgoups, Its nice to have a GUI for file management and really is an excuse to use Windows on what is primarily dos games PC, Again supports TCP/IP.

If your not interested in a GUI, FTP gives you better file transfer speeds then the other 2 options.

If you want to set up the MS client just for the hell of it, then I'm not trying to discourage you! It's all just bit of fun end of the day!

ahhh.. that's good history lesson that I didn't know..... Thank you! 😀
If that's the case, I decided not to install any of it except the only first 4 files, to play DOS Games. My main goal was to play old DOS games over Network.. and if these 4 files are the "key" to play any DOS networking Games, I stick to it! (Like u said, games don't use it)...
I just want to build a 100% DOS Games over Network to play it over LAN. So IF DOS games don't take advantage over Microsoft Drivers or Netware Operating System.. than I'll skip that part, since I have mtcp, which I can use FTP to transfer my games. 😀

Reply 33 of 33, by Panties

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
mbbrutman wrote:

I prefer to look at things like mTCP as more of a throwback to the Unix style of networking - classic Telnet, FTP, and utilities.

Early networking for PCs was centered around file and printer sharing. It assumes that all of the machines are the same; you get to reach into remote filesystems directly.

Unix networking was designed for a heterogeneous environment, which is why we see FTP with BINARY and ASCII modes and why Telnet is a complex protocol with flow control and Telnet commands; they were trying to bridge some very different machines.

Those days when I was younger.. (probably around 9-10 years old)
I was using FTP or Telnet(I dont remember), over on the 9600 modem, to get connect to some US Number, and download 900kb of game. There wasn't any internet, I followed steps on a PC magazine that I found on the airplane.

Unfortunately, The game did NOT load, and my Parents Whoooop my ass off, as the phone bill was a "BOMB" at the end of the month..... (haha... The good old late 80's.... I made a long distance download from Malaysia)

Anyway....years past.. unfortunately, I'm now pampered with GUI FTP.... using ftp commands or telnet commands (now everyone using sftp GUI base and putty), I'm losing touch with commands...
wget... connect <ip>.... is the least i remember...
but My DOS command is still good, at least the very basic to move around without any GUI base... =)