VOGONS

Laptops for DOS gaming

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 29, by RacoonRider

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Librettos are a good way to go, especially second generation models (50-70). They feature 6 inch 640x480 TFT display (CT65555) and OPL3-SA sound. The AccuPoint is great for gaming if you get used to it, especially compared to touch pads, which are more common today. Mouse is clearly superior, however, you need port replicator to use it.

There are earlier Libretto models with 486 and no sound (20 and 30).

A typical weak point of all 6 inch Librettos is lower left corner of the matrix. The matrix is the carrier element of the whole upper part of the notebook. The upside of this approach is that you'll never find a Libretto with cracks in plastic caused by hinge problems, but its downside is that the screen might get cracked. 6 inch Librettos have only one hinge on the left and that's where the matrix often gets damaged. This results in an area of interleaved white vertical stripes 1 pixel wide stretching above the crack, usually 2-5 cm wide. I'm 99% sure it can't be fixed without a new matrix. So never buy a Libretto if you haven't seen any pictures of it with the screen on.

And beware the Libretto 20, unlike 50 and 70, they have the RTC battery in the middle of the board. So don't buy a Libretto 20 that does not turn on, it might be wasted by the acid. The 50 and 70 have the RTC battery in a small container separated from the motherboard, so they are fine.

Attachments

• P1060966.JPG
    Filename
    P1060966.JPG
    File size
    350.49 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 22 of 29, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have a ThinkPad 380D with the following specs:

Intel Pentium 150
12.1" DSTN Passive Matrix display*
2.1GB IDE HDD
48MB RAM
8x CD-ROM Drive
1.44MB Floppy Drive
Crystal CS4236B (FM compatible for DOS gaming)
Windows 98 (upgraded from Windows 95B and converted the file system to FAT32 successfully without losing data with the DOS command prompt using a boot diskette)
The display doesn't stretch a small picture to the full 800x600 resolution, only keeps the resolution it's meant to run on, which is better than my other laptop.

HP Pavilion N3350
AMD K6-III+ 550M
12.1" HPA 800x600 resolution (stretches the picture to fill the screen, yuck and cannot be disabled in BIOS or other means)
1.44MB Floppy Drive
4.6GB Fujitsu HDD
Windows 98SE
IBM DVD-ROM drive (original drive broke)
ESS Maestro-3E Sound and Modem (Sound Blaster emulation isn't the best)

*DSTN displays are crap and I will replace it with a TFT Active Matrix display assembly.

Soon:

Toshiba Satellite Pro 420CDT (TFT Active Matrix) with a 1.3GB HDD, 16MB RAM, external floppy drive, internal CD-ROM, ESS AudioDrive ES688, and the recovery media on diskettes and possibly a CD**.

** after I fix up my car (suspension, steering, brakes, exhaust, interior (carpet has mold due to the rain getting inside my car), and fuel system).

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 23 of 29, by Warlord

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have a thinkpad 770x I found at habitat for humanity. Found a selectadock II and a selecta base 770 from some obscure site I found. What I have is similar to this video. Except the 770x I found was a 300 mhz PII and it had a 8mb video card, I guess the one I have is rare idk. I put a voodoo 2 and a awe64gold in mine.

Thinkpad 770x
440BX chipset
300 MHZ P II
512 PC100
Trident Cyber9397DVD 8mb (trident 9750)
64 GB SSD
IBM DEVA Mpge2 card
Selectadock ii
Voodoo 2
Awe 64 Gold
Intel 100s NIC
120 GB HDD
DVD drive
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DGHcX0YTPKw

Reply 24 of 29, by dicky96

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hmmm interesting... looking at those pics I may have definitely several similar beige ones here at the car boot sales on this little back water island of Gran Canaria (where the Canarians seem to have hoarded some old stuff for many years)

If someone would be so kind as to post a basic list of desirable models for me to look for then I will check it out this weekend and see what I can find

--------------addendum

OK I watched the video in the OP. I'm on a mission tomorrow at the flea market, I'm sure I've seen some that look like that 😈

Reply 28 of 29, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have some Apple Macbook PCC laptops, Toshiba Satellite, IBM 380 Thinkpads, and Sony PCG Vaio laptops.
I really like the Macbook and Sony Vaio for there large and clear displays. Fast CPU’s , lots of ram, and large fast hard-drive’s. Easy to repair and upgrade. I put HGST 7200 RPM 80gb hard drives in them and max out the ram to 512mb.

Attachments

Reply 29 of 29, by dicky96

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Sodding typical! I went to the flea market and hardly a laptop in sight this week - and definitely no vintage ones.

I know i have seen them there, I'm sure some will turn up another week

One the plus side I got a rather nice Beige tower for 8 euros - has a QDI motherboard of some sort and AGP graphics, several PCI slots and 1 ISA slot - looks like it could be a Pentium MMX or K6 or something like that. I'll look later - time for the beach now.