VOGONS

First post, by hookan91

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Greetings,

I bought a AWE64 Gold Model CT4390 a few months ago on eBay, but it only arrived now (Thanks customs). After installing it on my SS7 machine, Win 98SE detected the card, installed the drivers but no sound came out of the speakers.

I tried installing the software from the AWE64 CD and the updated drivers that I found on the site of another VOGONS member, but still no sound:

http://www.philscomputerlab.com/drivers-for-awe64-gold.html

I even tried another speaker and the sound card in another PC with a S7 MoBo, still the same problem. This is the full spec of both machines:

PC 1 - Super Socket 7

Asus P5A-B Motherboard
AMD K6-III+ 450 ATC @ 550 MHz
384 MB RAM (3 x 128 MB DIMM sticks)
20 GB Samsung SV0211N HDD
Diamond Monster 3D 12 MB SLI
S3 Trio3D/2x 4 MB AGP
3Com 3C905C-TX Ethernet PCI
Corsair CX430 with Startech ATX to AT adapter

PC2 - Socket 7

PcChips VX Pro M537DMA33 Motherboard
Pentium MMX 233 MHz
64 MB RAM (2 x 32 RAM DIMM sticks)
10 GB Maxtor HDD
S3 Trio64V+ 2 MB PCI
3Com 3C905C-TX Ethernet PCI
Corsair CX430 with Startech ATX to AT adapter

Do you guys think I got a defective card or it is just me being dumb enough?

Last edited by hookan91 on 2016-04-04, 03:43. Edited 1 time in total.

"I don't believe in the No-Win Scenario" Admiral James T. Kirk

Reply 1 of 4, by Imperious

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Check the IRQ and DMA channels aren't being used by anything else.

You could also try setting it up in a pure Dos environment using CTCM, CTCU, Aweutil

Atari 2600, TI994a, Vic20, c64, ZX Spectrum 128, Amstrad CPC464, Atari 65XE, Commodore Plus/4, Amiga 500
PC's from XT 8088, 486, Pentium MMX, K6, Athlon, P3, P4, 775, to current Ryzen 5600x.

Reply 2 of 4, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The AWE64 Gold works with the built-in Windows drivers. Note that you will need to use the RCA ports, not the headphone jacks.

Testing under pure DOS it what I would be doing next.

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 3 of 4, by hookan91

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I checked them, but no conflicts reported on Windows. Also tried different IRQs and DMAs.

I tested the sound with a RCA speaker that is connected to a subwoofer.

I will try to get a 3.5mm Jack Female to 2 RCA Male and test another speakers I have (the one I was using with the previous sound card).

Reply 4 of 4, by hookan91

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Sorry for the delay, but I finally got some time and bought a Audio Jack to 2 RCA adapter.

I tested it with a speaker and also no sound. 😢

After some more testing, I noticed that it was indeed outputting sound, but the volume was so low that I could only hear it with my ear right next to the speaker.

After some Google searching, I found this topic AWE64 - weird volume control problem in Windows 95 and with the link in the 5th post, I was able to raise the volume to something more noticeble 😊

Thanks everyone. 😀