VOGONS

Compaq Evo N600c for DOS/Win.9x gaming

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by CaptainAfro

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Helping a family member move and found an old Compaq Evo N600c. 32mb Radeon Mobility video card, 512mb RAM, 1.2 Ghz Pentium III-m. Installed Windows 98SE on it, still trying to get the audio drivers working. I'm thinking of using it mostly for Windows 95/98 games that don't work on my main rig: Starfleet Command and Jane's Fighters Anthology come to mind.

Once I get Windows 98 working fine, I'm thinking of trying to install some DOS games on it to. How viable is this setup for DOS gaming?

Also, I try to install theses drivers (http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/swd/public/det … wEnvOid=20#tab4) for the internal sound card. It installs as "ESS Allegro PCI Audio (WDM)" and another "Unknown Device". The Unknown Device asks for 12 various sys and drv files, some of which I think for XP files. Just for testing, I found these files on other computers and sites and put them together to finish the driver install and now I get a Windows Protection Error on startup. This makes me think the drivers are for XP and not for Windows 98, despite what it says. Any help on installing the soundcard would be appreciated. I think it's an ESS 1988.

The files it asks for to finish the install of "Unknown Device" are"

ksuser.dll gm16.dls wdmaud.drv portcls.sys redbook.sys sbemul.sys stream.sys sysaudio.sys wdmaud.sys swmidi.sys kmixer.sys dmusi […]
Show full quote

ksuser.dll
gm16.dls
wdmaud.drv
portcls.sys
redbook.sys
sbemul.sys
stream.sys
sysaudio.sys
wdmaud.sys
swmidi.sys
kmixer.sys
dmusic.sys

Reply 1 of 4, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Attached

Never really bothered with DOS games on this laptop but for 9x gaming it runs great.

Attachments

• Filename
    9x.zip
    File size
    1.55 MiB
    Downloads
    338 downloads
    File comment
    ESS Allegro 1988 Drivers
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 3 of 4, by vkcpolice

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi can someone please help me. im new to the forum im normally pretty computer cluey but this laptop has done my head in its the same laptop a compaq evo n600c i have the driver i install them it asks to restart my computer i do so then it asks for the windows 98 cd rom to be inserted. i have the cd in the drive but it does not seem to find the files needed. i have win 98SE and i cant install the ess allegro pci audio driver any help would be great thanks