VOGONS

Reply 60 of 194, by Kamerat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Added results for a Pentium II @ 100MHz with cache disabled, looks like 3DBENCH show's erroneous result at this speed, no way that looks like 57,5 fps.

DOS Sound Blaster compatibility: PCI sound cards vs. PCI chipsets
YouTube channel

Reply 61 of 194, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Thanks for adding the results! Do you remember if you used 3dbench 1.0c or 1.0? Version 1.0 is supposed to scale better with slower cpus.

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 62 of 194, by Kamerat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Updated the 3DBENCH result with the 1.0 version instead of 1.0c, looks more realistic now with 2,3 fps.

DOS Sound Blaster compatibility: PCI sound cards vs. PCI chipsets
YouTube channel

Reply 63 of 194, by bluejeans

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I ran the pcp and 3d benches on a pentium 166 with pci voodoo banshee, then on an agp tnt2 with a p3-700 underclocked to 233. The scores were something like 5-10* higher, about what I expected due to AGP, so I put in a pci s3 trio and actually got a similar result on the 3d bench. Why is this? Surely the 3d bench wouldn't be taking advantage of the s3's meager 3d capabilities due to being run under real mode dos?

Reply 64 of 194, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
bluejeans wrote:

I ran the pcp and 3d benches on a pentium 166 with pci voodoo banshee, then on an agp tnt2 with a p3-700 underclocked to 233. The scores were something like 5-10* higher, about what I expected due to AGP, so I put in a pci s3 trio and actually got a similar result on the 3d bench. Why is this? Surely the 3d bench wouldn't be taking advantage of the s3's meager 3d capabilities due to being run under real mode dos?

3DBench doesn't use 3D acceleration. Despite its name, it is a 2D performance benchmark, which the S3, Banshee and TNT2 are all very good at.

Reply 65 of 194, by bluejeans

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
clueless1 wrote:
bluejeans wrote:

3DBench doesn't use 3D acceleration. Despite its name, it is a 2D performance benchmark, which the S3, Banshee and TNT2 are all very good at.

So the speed disparity with equal video cards must be due to having a p3 at 233, even with only a 77 mhz difference over the 166?

Reply 66 of 194, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
bluejeans wrote:

So the speed disparity with equal video cards must be due to having a p3 at 233, even with only a 77 mhz difference over the 166?

Yeah. 77Mhz doesn't sound like a lot, but 233 is over 40% faster than 166. I'm not sure how a P3 and P1 compare clock-for-clock, that's another variable.

Reply 67 of 194, by bluejeans

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
clueless1 wrote:
bluejeans wrote:

Yeah. 77Mhz doesn't sound like a lot, but 233 is over 40% faster than 166. I'm not sure how a P3 and P1 compare clock-for-clock, that's another variable.

I had an idea for artificially limiting cpu speed in windows, simply adjust the power management so that to processor state is a certain percentage of whatever speed you want. However I take it you've made this utility since most of what we're using it for will not run under xp and later? (xp being the first o.s I'm aware of that you could limit clock speed)

Reply 68 of 194, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
bluejeans wrote:
clueless1 wrote:
bluejeans wrote:

I had an idea for artificially limiting cpu speed in windows, simply adjust the power management so that to processor state is a certain percentage of whatever speed you want. However I take it you've made this utility since most of what we're using it for will not run under xp and later? (xp being the first o.s I'm aware of that you could limit clock speed)

I did not make Setmul. Forum member gerwin did. 😀 It is a compatible with DOS, 95, 98 and ME only. Here's more info on it:
SetMul - Multiplier control for VIA C3 / AMD K6+7+8 Mobile / Cyrix 5x86
For my purposes, it is for a DOS PC, to slow the system down to play older speed sensitive games.

Reply 69 of 194, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Added an Intel 486DX2-66. Used Setmul to disable L1 and BIOS to disable L2. Disabling L2 did not add significantly to the slowdown. With cache disabled, the CPU is performing like a 20Mhz 386.

Reply 71 of 194, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Not documented on the chart, but the turbo switch drops speeds to the equivalent of a 486-18. Now to see if the turbo switch in conjunction with disabling caches can yield some other speed zones.

Reply 72 of 194, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

486 can be awesome for slowing down tricks. Lots of combinations, but every board implements the Turbo a little bit different, so your results may vary 😀

Still, the 486 is extremely flexible.

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 73 of 194, by matze79

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

When i turn off L2 Cache my K6-3 hangs at the BIOS Screen showing Summary (Floppy Drives, Memorysize, Ports..)
I think this is because of l3 Cache. 😳

https://www.retrokits.de - blog, retro projects, hdd clicker, diy soundcards etc
https://www.retroianer.de - german retro computer board

Reply 74 of 194, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
matze79 wrote:

When i turn off L2 Cache my K6-3 hangs at the BIOS Screen showing Summary (Floppy Drives, Memorysize, Ports..)
I think this is because of l3 Cache. 😳

Do you have BIOS timings tweaked? I noticed on my 486, if I got really aggressive with memory and cache timings, the system would work at full speed but would lock up when I disabled cache! I expected the opposite. 🤣. At any rate, I don't know if this has anything to do with your K6-3, but it's worth a look to set BIOS timings to default and try again?

Thanks!

Reply 76 of 194, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
bluejeans wrote:

On my p2-350 underclocked to 233, if I run topbench it wildly switches between saying it's a p200 and a k5 116, with one cache on and one off. What does this mean?

Some older DOS benchmarks get really confused when you do things like disable caches, underclock, or run them on CPUs much newer than the benchmark. I remember topbench being one of those benchmarks.

I wouldn't worry about it, just run a range of benchmarks and focus more on the ones that make sense. I put more weight on real game benches, like Wolf3D, Doom and Quake.

Reply 77 of 194, by bluejeans

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

My doom realtics are varying wildly from the equivalent systems on the list, and iirc even with the same cpu with no cache disabled. Topbench reckons the cpu is the same speed though. Could it be my fsb or ram speed/amount/type? The 3dbench was within 15% or so of a "real" system.

Reply 78 of 194, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
bluejeans wrote:

My doom realtics are varying wildly from the equivalent systems on the list, and iirc even with the same cpu with no cache disabled. Topbench reckons the cpu is the same speed though. Could it be my fsb or ram speed/amount/type? The 3dbench was within 15% or so of a "real" system.

What are the rest of your system specs? Motherboard, graphics card, cpu, motherboard cache, etc. Also post your scores with cache enable and disabled.

Reply 79 of 194, by James-F

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Each run is randomly different?
Some corruption creating a random bottle neck in performance.
Try different RAM and make sure you don't go above the cacheable amount of the Motherboard.
If it doesn't solve the problem try changing the CPU.

As you disable the Caches the CPU relies more on the RAM each level of cache you disable.

my important / useful posts are here