Let's benchmark our systems with caches disabled

Discussion about old PC hardware.

Re: Let's benchmark our systems with caches disabled

Postby clueless1 » 2018-2-01 @ 02:50

Baoran wrote:I added some benchmark results to the bottom of the spreadsheet. One reason why I started testing the system was because I wanted to know how much graphics card really matters when you have disabled caches. That is why there is double tests with 2 different graphics cards.
Basically that trident graphics decelerator turned my 486 into a 386 when it comes to most games. I think using a slower graphics card can be used to fine tune system speed when trying to run old games.
I used bios default settings with the tests.

Thank you! It's great to see actual results comparing VLB vs ISA with caches disabled. I'm a little surprised that there's as much difference as there is at the slowest speeds. Even though the synthetic benchmarks don't really show it, Doom does. Good work, Baoran. When I get a chance, I'll create a separate tab for your results. You're welcome to do it too if you get to it before I do.
The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks
clueless1
l33t

Postby Baoran » 2018-2-01 @ 15:46

Since I used bios default when doing those benchmarks. I also did 2 sets of benchmarks when changing memory timings in bios to see what is slowest and fastest the system can do. The bios auto default most likely chooses something between those.

Trident 9000A and slowest memory timings and Turbo+L1+L2 disabled:
3dbench: 1.1 fps
Pcpbench: 0.3 fps
Speedsys: 1.48
Doom: 171879 realticks

Tseng ET4000/W32P and fastest memory timings:
3dbench: 27.7 fps
Pcpbench: 5.9 fps
Speedsys: 12.47
Doom: 5252 realticks

I didn't put them in the spreadsheet because I thought it isn't really about changing bios settings to improve or lower the performance. I mainly just wanted to see how close I can get to something like 4.77Mhz performance.
Baoran
Oldbie

Postby zerker » 2018-5-21 @ 13:29

So I added some entries to this list. I also wanted to benchmark the effects of CPU throttling. I used fdapm for this, but throttle has the same effect. I wasn't sure how you would want this sort of thing marked; I just put a extra artificial multiplier on the clock speed column. I'm pretty happy with the flexibility this technique offers, and I'm sure it will be useful to others.

Yes, I can also combine the two techniques, but that's way too much benchmarking for one morning.

Also, I couldn't extend the Doom FPS column to calculate for my results, since it is protected. I assume you go in and do that after?

EDIT: I couldn't resist, so I also added a "how low can you go" option of 1/8 throttle + both caches disabled. I think I've succeeded. The benchmarks are the slowest on the sheet so far. I did a test run of Ultima 2... and it seems to be running at the correct speed? So I guess approximate 8088 speed?
zerker

Postby clueless1 » 2018-5-22 @ 10:16

zerker wrote:I couldn't extend the Doom FPS column to calculate for my results, since it is protected. I assume you go in and do that after?

EDIT: I couldn't resist, so I also added a "how low can you go" option of 1/8 throttle + both caches disabled. I think I've succeeded. The benchmarks are the slowest on the sheet so far. I did a test run of Ultima 2... and it seems to be running at the correct speed? So I guess approximate 8088 speed?

I took care of the autofill for you. And wow, that does look like 8088 speeds! That's pretty cool :cool: Thank you for adding your results!
The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks
clueless1
l33t

Previous

Return to General Old Hardware