VOGONS

First post, by Rawit

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Recently I acquired an Advantech POS (point of sales, hopefully not piece of sh*t) 7551F mainboard. It's a Flex ATX mainboard, but I'm confused what case I need.

Is it 3 or 4 slots in size? It obviously has 2 slots (1 PCI, 1 ISA), but I'm confused about the distance between the two. It looks I need a case with 4 expansion slots, but according to Wikipedia Flex ATX "can have no more than three expansion slots." How should I measure?

ADVANTECH-POS-7551-28239.png

YouTube

Reply 1 of 8, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Looks like three slots there - don't forget PCI and ISA can share a "slot". If there were three PCI slots the ISA would be right up against the last one and use the same back panel bracket.

That's an interesting board (big Advantech fan here 😉) - what model Geode is that? Is that a full ISA implementation with DMA?

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 2 of 8, by Rawit

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks for the info. I got really confused. Most sites disagree on the max. expansion slots for Flex ATX, I've seen diagrams with 4, Wiki saying it's 3. And when the manual and the datasheet listed different mainboard sizes I thought I just ask.

I had some searches running for Geode stuff as I have a thin client with a Geode in it. I saw this mainboard up for sale and took a chance, because it seems it's very comparable with my thin client mainboard but with 2 slots instead of one. It's a NS Geode GX1- 233 CPU combined with the CX5530A/CS5530A chip, which gives you Soundblaster 16 under DOS. It has Windows 3.1 drivers for everything. I think it's a full ISA implementation with DMA as my thin client (also Geode - CX5530A/CS5530A) has a Gravis Ultrasound ACE in it and it works fine.

YouTube

Reply 3 of 8, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

^^ You must have a Neoware Eon? Or is there another thin client with ISA that I'm not aware of?

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 4 of 8, by Rawit

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

An eSeSIX WLGX01 I think. It's an eSeSIX, but as all labels were removed from the case I'm not entirely sure on the type. It has a risercard for PCI and ISA, but only one slot can used.

YouTube

Reply 5 of 8, by s0ren

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Sorry for bumping an old thread, but did you do anything do make the Ultrasound work other than just inserting it?

I have a Neoware Eon which is almost identical to the eSeSIX, but unfortunately it wont boot when i insert a Vibra PnP card (BIOS says the ISA is PnP compatible).

Reply 6 of 8, by Rawit

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It worked right away, but I couldn't get it to boot reliably with a PCI videocard. I think it the powersupply isn't up to the task. Try another PSU and make sure that on-board sound is disabled if available.

YouTube

Reply 7 of 8, by s0ren

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks for the tip. I do get the boot logo so i think it has enough power, but it just doesnt proceed after that. Did your machine turn off completely or just freeze? Can you disable the on-board sound card in your BIOS? I can only select soundblaster compatability or native (which i guess is AC97).

Reply 8 of 8, by Rawit

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The machine wouldn't turn on. Only after a long cool-down period it would start. Disabling the on-board sound is possible with my thinclient, but not with the Advantech. Try native and see if that works. I guess with SB comp. it reserves the DMA and IRQ the Vibra wants to use.

YouTube