VOGONS

First post, by JiaoTongNan

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

My laptop cannot use wireless internet and only works with Ethernet at the moment. I have the option to buy a wireless card (Which doesn't support WPA) or hope to find another Cardbus online that supports WPA2 and works with Windows 9x. Please name any cardbus or USB wifi adapters which work with Windows 9x and supports WPA2

I previously ordered a Linksys WPC54G Cardbus only to encounter issues which can't seem to be fixed. On Windows 9x, the required programs which come on the card's cd don't even work properly and slow down my laptop. I tried searching the cd for a driver, but nothing worked.

Personal Blog

Reply 1 of 17, by notsofossil

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Just a heads up, WPA is almost impossible to get working on 9x. WPA2 is completely unsupported. WEP and unencrypted work fine with just about any 9x wireless card.

Thinkpad T42 Win9x Drivers | Latitude D600 Win9x Drivers
Next: Dell Inspiron 8000

Reply 2 of 17, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I saw a suggestion to get another wireless router and run it in wireless client mode. Plug your old computer's ethernet into that. Much more pleasant than Win9x Wifi.

Reply 3 of 17, by JiaoTongNan

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
notsofossil wrote:

Just a heads up, WPA is almost impossible to get working on 9x. WPA2 is completely unsupported. WEP and unencrypted work fine with just about any 9x wireless card.

I believe its easier to do it for a PC than a laptop, we know for sure there are Wifi cards with WPA2 and Windows 98 support as well.
Here's a youtube video of proof, you just need the right wifi card or cardbus
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xii5hP2yPck

Personal Blog

Reply 4 of 17, by mrau

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
swaaye wrote:

I saw a suggestion to get another wireless router and run it in wireless client mode. Plug your old computer's ethernet into that. Much more pleasant than Win9x Wifi.

less portable, but probably best performancewise - huge idea there

@op i once had an asus usb stick that came with a tool that did the whole wpa thing on pre xp platforms; i'll try to find that one if i can; just keep in mind that encryption does tend be slowndowner with old pcs;

ps https://www.asus.com/us/Networking/WL167g/specifications/ <-this one, but i see that they do not offer wpa for pre-xp, so i must have confused sth; i remember from the times when i worked on the dsl technical support, that the usb sticks the company sold did indeed have that option(always with the proper tool installed, no os support);

Last edited by mrau on 2016-04-09, 02:01. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 6 of 17, by JiaoTongNan

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Arctic wrote:

I used a USRobotics USR54 something Cardbus with a P120/32MB/Win98SE.
Let's say IRC worked well 😁

Please tell me specific model!~ This supports WPA2 right?

Personal Blog

Reply 7 of 17, by Artex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

My setup works pretty well. I use a Netgear N300 Wireless Range extender (downstairs) in my workbench area that receives a wireless signal from my main router (upstairs). The extender plugs in any AC outlet and has one RJ45 port that I use to connect up to integrated NICs or ISA/PCI NICs on whatever system I'm testing.

My Retro B:\ytes YouTube Channel & Retro Collection
LihnlZ.jpg

Reply 8 of 17, by akula65

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I don't know that this particular PC Card supports WPA2, but it does support WPA with AES for encryption. I have an old CompUSA SKU #333622 54 Mbps Wireless G PC Card that was manufactured by FMI that I have used with Win98 SE. Drivers and docs are available here:

https://web.archive.org/web/20060323041542/ht … .asp?SKU=333622

The drivers and docs postdate the release of WPA2 standard. FCC ID is NDD9573060509.

Good luck in your search.

Reply 9 of 17, by Arctic

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
JiaoTongNan wrote:
Arctic wrote:

I used a USRobotics USR54 something Cardbus with a P120/32MB/Win98SE.
Let's say IRC worked well 😁

Please tell me specific model!~ This supports WPA2 right?

Let me check...
It's a... U.S. Robotics 802.11g Wireless Turbo PC Card Model: USR5410 / 3.3v

Reply 10 of 17, by JiaoTongNan

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Please name more if possible! I'm either having a hard time finding these online or WPA2 isn't available.

I found this cardbus, has anyone used this with Windows 98 before? I wanna make sure its not like my previous card bus that claims it has Windows 98SE supports only not to work!
SMC Networks SMCWCB-G
http://www.amazon.com/SMC-Networks-SMCWCB-G-W … s/dp/B0009YFZAW

Personal Blog

Reply 12 of 17, by RatCatcher

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Netgear WPN511 works with WPA on Windows 98SE. Although it may slow down your wireless network if everything else is using N. If the laptop doesn't travel
It may be better to get a used wireless router and connect it as a client and use the Ethernet.

Reply 13 of 17, by JiaoTongNan

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
RatCatcher wrote:

Netgear WPN511 works with WPA on Windows 98SE. Although it may slow down your wireless network if everything else is using N. If the laptop doesn't travel
It may be better to get a used wireless router and connect it as a client and use the Ethernet.

I need to make sure, does WPA = WPA2 ???
Will WPA-PSK work with WPA2-PSK?

Personal Blog

Reply 14 of 17, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
JiaoTongNan wrote:

I need to make sure, does WPA = WPA2 ???

No. They're different standards; WPA2 is the newer one.

JiaoTongNan wrote:

Will WPA-PSK work with WPA2-PSK?

I don't know, but I'm 99% certain the answer is no, since they're different 😀

EDIT: BTW for wifi on 98 I just use a separate router, configured with an open network and a hidden SSID so I have a false sense of security 🤣
But seriously, where I live there's about 0.001% chance of a hacker exploiting my system, so it's OK for me.

World's foremost 486 enjoyer.

Reply 15 of 17, by RatCatcher

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

CardBus only supports WPA-PSK at the highest. WPA2 isn't supported good in win98. It is backwards compatible and will connect to a WPA2 router. It can and will slow down a mixed router if every other device is using N. You could get an old G router and patch it to your main router so N can do its thing. WPA-PSK is very hard or impossible to crack if you have a long password.

Reply 16 of 17, by HighTreason

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
keenmaster486 wrote:

EDIT: BTW for wifi on 98 I just use a separate router, configured with an open network and a hidden SSID so I have a false sense of security 🤣
But seriously, where I live there's about 0.001% chance of a hacker exploiting my system, so it's OK for me.

Don't count on it. I live on a densely populated (or it was) council estate and nobody around me has WiFi. You'd think then that it would be the last place anybody would look for it. I had never enabled WiFi until a couple of years ago, I needed to do some testing for a laptop with a dead Ethernet adapter, so I decided to cheap out and just turn on my router's WiFi network... Within five minutes some dickhead actually parked his car on my drive, got out and started attempting to access the network with his cell phone, he even gave me a wave and a smile when I looked out of the window at him.

Now I use strong encryption, a very complex password and a MAC whitelist, among other things, to keep people out. The guy was lucky he drove off when I went for the front door or he would have been spending the remainder of the night trying to nick WiFi from Hull Royal's A & E department instead.

My Youtube - My Let's Plays - SoundCloud - My FTP (Drivers and more)

Reply 17 of 17, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
HighTreason wrote:
keenmaster486 wrote:

Don't count on it. I live on a densely populated (or it was) council estate and nobody around me has WiFi. You'd think then that it would be the last place anybody would look for it. I had never enabled WiFi until a couple of years ago, I needed to do some testing for a laptop with a dead Ethernet adapter, so I decided to cheap out and just turn on my router's WiFi network... Within five minutes some dickhead actually parked his car on my drive, got out and started attempting to access the network with his cell phone, he even gave me a wave and a smile when I looked out of the window at him.

Now I use strong encryption, a very complex password and a MAC whitelist, among other things, to keep people out. The guy was lucky he drove off when I went for the front door or he would have been spending the remainder of the night trying to nick WiFi from Hull Royal's A & E department instead.

Why not expose him to some experimental malware payloads? "He connected to my malware research LAN."

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder