VOGONS

Can't make it post - help needed

Topic actions

First post, by tikoellner

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hello.

I would like to ask for your help getting my motherboard work.

As I wrote in my previous posts, I seem to have bad luck with ATS-1425B mobo. I simply can't make it post - the screen remains black.

It's the second one I have purchased, but the problem persists. I have set all jumpers according to the manual and tried various processors (DX266, DX4100, 5x86C). Tried all the memory banks. Still, nothing.

The problem is surely not related to graphics card, as I get it perfectly working with my ZIDA 4DPS mobo.

I would like to ask for your assistance. I post the photo below with jumer settings for DX2-66.

20160413_175051%201_zpstzpsscrc.jpg

If better photo is necessary, please let me know.

I'm slowly getting frustrated.

Tom

Reply 1 of 24, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Not all SiS chipset Socket 3 PCI motherboards can take EDO, it depends on both BIOS version and chipset revision. Are you sure you are using FPM memory?

You can also try moving the video card to another slot, I have more than one motherboard that wont run the video card in the first PCI slot.

Also as this is 486 aka Twin Peaks era hardware there is no guarantee that just because a video card works in one motherboard it will work in another.

Last edited by Skyscraper on 2016-04-13, 17:36. Edited 3 times in total.

New PC: i9 12900K @5GHz all cores @1.2v. MSI PRO Z690-A. 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14. 3070Ti.
Old PC: Dual Xeon X5690@4.6GHz, EVGA SR-2, 48GB DDR3R@2000MHz, Intel X25-M. GTX 980ti.
Older PC: K6-3+ 400@600MHz, PC-Chips M577, 256MB SDRAM, AWE64, Voodoo Banshee.

Reply 3 of 24, by tikoellner

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well, those are NEC FPM 6mb chips:

http://www.memoryten.com/p/004786.htm

So the memory does not seem to be a reason.

I tried speaker (I tried to connect it in various ways), but it remains silent, less the setting when it beeps constantly. I couldn't find any pinout description in the manual.

Now, I tried switching graphics adapter to all three PCI slots, no success. The card is Number Nine Motion 331 (s3 Trio).

The button cell is like new.

All the keyboard lights are ON (no blinking) from the very moment the PSU is turned on.

I have noticed that the processor is getting quite hot as soon as the PSU is turned on. I don't know if that's a proper behavior.
🙁

Reply 4 of 24, by mrau

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

try isa graphics? compatibility is much better

Well, those are NEC FPM 6mb chips:

http://www.memoryten.com/p/004786.htm

So the memory does not seem to be a reason.

sry thats totally wrong logic;

Reply 9 of 24, by Cyrix200+

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Do you have more than one power supply to test with?

If you start the system without memory, do the keyboard leds also light up?

1982 to 2001

Reply 11 of 24, by tikoellner

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Maybe this will help: I had similar problems with posting while I connected some socket7 mobo with amd k5 lately to this PSU. And this mobo was fully funtional, I suppose. I gave it to my froend already so cannot check again. Generally, the only mobo I got to work was this small tomato... I tried three different graphics adapters.

Reply 13 of 24, by tikoellner

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I put the mainboard in the case with another PSU.

Without memory installed and without graphics it still behaves in the same way: keyboard diodes are permanently lit.

So I guess we can eliminate bad PSU as a reason of the problem as well 🙁

I''m checking out the CPU direction 😀 There is a dot on the CPU and there is one on the side where the hinge is located, so I guess I was putting it just OK 🙁

Running computer without CPU produces the same effect with keyboard diodes lit.

Reply 14 of 24, by tikoellner

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Found it! It was simply a missing jumper setting synchronous/asynchronous clock.

Just checked... now I have TWO fully functional ATC-1452B... ;--) (EDIT: fortunatelly (not), the first one still shorts the PSU sometimes, so I can explain getting the other one to myself)

Last edited by tikoellner on 2016-04-14, 08:22. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 15 of 24, by mrau

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
tikoellner wrote:

Found it! It was simply a missing jumper setting synchronous/asynchronous clock.

Just checked... now I have TWO fully functional ATC-1452B... ;--)

just 🤣, but congrats on finding that 😀

Reply 16 of 24, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Is that a PS/2 mouse header next to the keyboard port? Can you provide a copy of the official manual?

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 17 of 24, by tikoellner

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Unfortunaltely I did not get any manual with any of the boards. The only one I have found is this: http://www.elhvb.com/mboards/a-trend/1425b/ATC-1425B.html

Which obviously is incomplete (there should be some schematics, as the manual suggests).

I will give the header a closer look when I get back home, but I don't belive it's a PS2 connector, as the manual does not mention this.

Reply 18 of 24, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

What else could it be? 5-pins with a 1-pin gap, right next to the keyboard connector. All my experience with these motherboards points to a PS/2 mouse header. There is also a PS/2 mouse capable keyboard controller on this motherboard. Sometimes the PS/2 functionality is not documented.

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.