VOGONS

Octek hippo vl+ and eeprom

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 27, by cyberluke

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I just got supplied Mr.BIOS for this board by someone. But I don't have flash writer yet. I will have it next month and can download the bios for you from my chip and/or compare bioses, if you can wait. Otherwise you need to look what chipset you have. If you have OPTI or not - that should be visible on motherboard itself.

Reply 21 of 27, by mat919

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
cyberluke wrote on 2021-08-19, 17:37:

I just got supplied Mr.BIOS for this board by someone. But I don't have flash writer yet. I will have it next month and can download the bios for you from my chip and/or compare bioses, if you can wait. Otherwise you need to look what chipset you have. If you have OPTI or not - that should be visible on motherboard itself.

Sounds great. Thanks! I posted this question ahead of time as this board is being shipped to me as we speak. I have plenty of time as I don't anticipate it's arrival until next month. When it finally arrives I will use some software to look up the chipset or try to dump BIOS with NSSI (Navratil Software) and compare it with those I downloaded.
BTW... just to make sure... we're talking about DCA1, right?

Reply 22 of 27, by maxtherabbit

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
megatron-uk wrote on 2021-06-17, 16:40:

The keyboard controller isn't a rom, but a microcontroller. You'll need to buy another keyboard controller - but there are multiple types and not all are compatible with all boards. If you can find an image of the original board it should show you the brand (AMIKey, Jetkey, Regional, etc).

It's both. It is a UC but it also has ROM in it

Reply 23 of 27, by evasive

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
mat919 wrote on 2021-08-19, 00:39:
What hides under that DCA sticker ( I don't want to remove mine ) on the Hippo VL/VL+/VL PRO and Hippo DCA 1 ? I downloaded two […]
Show full quote

What hides under that DCA sticker ( I don't want to remove mine ) on the Hippo VL/VL+/VL PRO and Hippo DCA 1 ? I downloaded two BIOS upgrades from:

https://www.elhvb.com/mobokive/archive/octek/ … plus/index.html

namely:
Hippo DCA 1 MRBIOS 3.21 Support Cyrix 5x86 AMD 5x86.exe
and
Hippo DCA1 MRBIOS 3.21 Support AMD DX Write-Back & 5x86.zip

and looked inside both of them.

Judging by the name they seem to be very similar ( upgrade to support the same CPU's ? ), but size is different and reading at the very end of the file, one seems to be designed to support HT34407 and the other OPTI4C1 ??? What gives? I don't want to ruin my board by flashing wrong BIOS.
Also, which software would you use to flash MR BIOS? Can I use UniFlash? Any ideas?

the HT34407 is for the Headland chipset used on this board.
(I have no idea why Octek has labeled the OPTi 491 as for the Hippo DCA1, it's plain wrong).

Reply 25 of 27, by dondiego

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks @evasive, seems it's fixed now. But i still can't download a file without extension (Hippo DCA1 AMI BIOS). It says not found but it has a size. It's actually the same 404.17 error.
https://www.elhvb.com/mobokive/archive/Octek/ … A1%20AMI%20BIOS

LZDoom, ZDoom32, ZDoom LE
RUDE (Doom)
Romero's Heresy II (Heretic)

Reply 26 of 27, by dondiego

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Now on the hippo DCA 1:
https://www.ultimateretro.net/es/motherboards/4026
Can i use that ami bios from ultimateretro with rev 1.01?
And what eeprom chip would i need to replace the one on the board? Can i flash it using a network card? Which utility could i use?
And what happens if the chip is bigger? I need to check voltage and number of pins too i think.
I have some eeproms but they are from dead pentium boards.
The photo at ultimate retro says rev 1.1 but the description says 1.0, mine is 1.01. I dunno about the differences.
And can i trust the voltage autodetection on such an old board?
Thanks in advance.

LZDoom, ZDoom32, ZDoom LE
RUDE (Doom)
Romero's Heresy II (Heretic)

Reply 27 of 27, by cyberluke

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi, I'm back here! Got flash writer as well! I forgot to sign up for notifications here, 🤣.

Do you need help? Also for downloading, you can download only zip or exe from that website.

EDIT: I can flash it for you and send from Czechia to Spain.