VOGONS

First post, by mzry

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi I'm new,

I'm building a dual 866mhz slot 1 pentium 3 440bx 1gb system with AGP voodoo 5 graphics. I have zero interest in Dos games and am very faithful to NT based OS's for my windows games. Obviously my choices are between Windows 2000, XP or 7. I assume 7 is probably going to bog the computer down too much because of it's ram requirements and 2000 is possibly not much different from XP in performance, but XP will give me a bit more modern application support. So basically I'm leaning towards XP based on this train of thought.

Thoughts? 😀

Thanks,

Reply 1 of 34, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Welcome! I agree with your train of thought, though with Win2k things will feel snappier. And you'll get a bit more retro street cred. 😉 I bet others will have other input. You can always switch XP to Classic Theme so it looks like Win2k.

Cheers!

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 4 of 34, by mmx_91

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'd go for Windows 2000 as well, back in 2006, I bought a Pentium 3 1Ghz for cheap (really cheap) and used it as a secondary machine at home. Really slow until downgraded from XP to Win2k and the stability was the same 😀

Reply 5 of 34, by BSA Starfire

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I installed win 2K on my friends dual Pentium Pro, that worked very well indeed.

286 20MHz,1MB RAM,Trident 8900B 1MB, Conner CFA-170A.SB 1350B
386SX 33MHz,ULSI 387,4MB Ram,OAK OTI077 1MB. Seagate ST1144A, MS WSS audio
Amstrad PC 9486i, DX/2 66, 16 MB RAM, Cirrus SVGA,Win 95,SB 16
Cyrix MII 333,128MB,SiS 6326 H0 rev,ESS 1869,Win ME

Reply 6 of 34, by .legaCy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well my humble opinion is that Windows 7 is out of question if it isn't your main pc.
If you have plans to have some applications that run only on XP go with XP, else go with win 2k, because of all those reasons that was mentioned before.
I like the retro feel of Win2K and it is stable,i'm sure that will work like a charm on your hardware.

Reply 8 of 34, by Standard Def Steve

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'd actually go for XP. I use XP SP3 on my PIII system, a single CPU Tualatin-1575 with 2GB and it's plenty snappy. I use the Windows Classic theme, though there was absolutely no difference in performance between Classic and Fisher Price.

The various 3DMarks and synthetic benchmarks scored roughly the same on both OSs.

94 MHz NEC VR4300 | SGI Reality CoPro | 8MB RDRAM | Each game gets its own SSD - nooice!

Reply 9 of 34, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

How about dual boot between 98se and 2k?

Main pc: Asus ROG 17. R9 5900HX, RTX 3070m, 16gb ddr4 3200, 1tb NVME.
Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1

Reply 11 of 34, by mzry

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks for all the responses. After taking into consideration all of the detailed opinions I can finally decide BeOS is the way to go. Hopefully some more of my parts arrive next week and I'll update yas on my progress. 😉

Reply 12 of 34, by lolo799

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You'll probably need the patched beOS v5 boot floppy and kernel for computers with over 512MB of ram, and the leaked OpenGL drivers that support the Voodoo 3 and 4 cards if you want to play Quake 2 and 3 in hardware-accelerated OpenGL instead of software mode, I assume it can work with the Voodoo 5, but I never tried when I had one...
http://pulkomandy.tk/~beosarchive/index.pl?search=512mb
http://pulkomandy.tk/~beosarchive/index.pl?se … rch=beos-opengl

PCMCIA Sound, Storage & Graphics

Reply 14 of 34, by lolo799

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The Voodoo5 works like a Voodoo4 in BeOS though, the SLI mode isn't supported, some benchmarks:
https://web.archive.org/web/20010606223529/ht … .com/story/3760
It would be a good idea to dual boot BeOS and Windows 2000 or XP, if only for having a better web browser, as the choices for BeOS are really antiquated...

PCMCIA Sound, Storage & Graphics

Reply 17 of 34, by ynari

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I used XP and Windows Server 2003, back when I was still using my dual 1GHz P3 system back in late 2005. Worked fine, can't remember how much RAM I had though - I used a GX chipset, so could have supported 2GB.

2000 is ok, and doesn't need activating, but XP is more functional.

Reply 18 of 34, by candle_86

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Ok over 600mhz with 128mb of ram XP is faster than 2000 unless you install SP3. Then XP runs like molasses in Siberia even on an Athlon 64.

Reply 19 of 34, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

This seems like a very strange combination. If you want to run 2000, XP, or 7, why limit yourself to a Slot 1 build? Anything that can take advantage of the dual CPUs will probably run much better on faster hardware anyway. I suppose faster hardware might not have the AGP support for the Voodoo 5, but isn't 3dfx support in NT-based systems already kind of limited?

I should give up trying to figure these things out.