VOGONS

Reply 40 of 56, by Scraphoarder

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Inspired by 386_junkie's amazing Compaq Systempro i have started my own baby steps to maybe someday achieve the same. Getting a complete chassis are maybe a pipe dream, but who knows what happens? Buyed this motherboard that i think is a 1992 revision. Dont know whats different from the original 1989 board and if it can take a 386 cpu card or two.

Systempro_motherboard.jpg
Filename
File size
1.73 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Also got a 486 cpu card that seems to be for a Systempro, but not sure.

Systempro_486.jpg
Filename
Systempro_486.jpg
File size
1.35 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 41 of 56, by rein_ein

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Alright,finally decent server finds for few months,saved from goldscraper an dual slot 1 440 lx mobo - Asus P2L97-DS

Unfortunately i only have only single 266 p2 and 350mhz one,no terminators for slot 1,so mobo starting with singe,blinking kb led and freezes,with 2 different it just sticking in boot loop,gonna look for pair asap.
An dual P2 seems legit for decent NT rig.

zazKFVHl.jpg

3x5uzq-5.png
4sv43l-5.png

Reply 42 of 56, by rein_ein

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Alrighty,one friend of mine was about to trash some old server gear but i was nearby to score some:

Twins servers and Sun Scsi SAN w/o disks

jIoLKnTl.jpg

almost twins,huh?

First one came with dual 866mhz P3 socket 370,512mb sdram,pair of 68 pin 36gb scsi discs,scsi streamer and single PSU.Booted up into win server 2003 and stuck on password (dont know it).

HsHGTaDl.jpg
2Dkuohbl.jpg
sS0mFngl.jpg

Second came with dual 866mhz P3 Xeon slot2 (yay finally a slot2 stuff!),1gb sdram,no hdd,scsi pci controller,scsi streamer and dual psu

WL2oirNl.jpg
CctBXcJl.jpg
V5ZGfxUl.jpg

So far i didn't have it powered up yet,psu looks dead (not a single sign on powering up except idling fans in psu)

SAN insides

IFbXgeUl.jpg

Also got 4 port SUN nic for pci-x

Mn9WSxpl.jpg

3x5uzq-5.png
4sv43l-5.png

Reply 43 of 56, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

That's a DAS cabinet, not SAN.
http://serverfault.com/questions/81723/what-i … san-nas-and-das

It's all really cool, though. What are you planning on running on it? OpenBSD perhaps?

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 44 of 56, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED

I read that the asus ntc-d supported early dual core Xeons, the vrm are mostly there. So year I bought 2 2.8ghz dually hehe. I think I'll trade the 7800 for a quarto fx card basted on the 8800gt or gtx.

Reply 45 of 56, by rein_ein

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
gdjacobs wrote:

That's a DAS cabinet, not SAN.
http://serverfault.com/questions/81723/what-i … san-nas-and-das

It's all really cool, though. What are you planning on running on it? OpenBSD perhaps?

Thanks,im planning FreeBSD based or SUSE probably for skt370 one and if i resurrect slot 2 system successfully it will go for some freaky kind of gaming station on Win for sure.
As for DAS it will go for raid zero,thanks for rectification 😜

3x5uzq-5.png
4sv43l-5.png

Reply 46 of 56, by 386_junkie

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Scraphoarder wrote:

£23 inc shipping. Compaq Smart Array 2-E Controller. Will go in my quad P166 Proliant 4500 that has only EISA slots.
Funny print of the little $ Pig on the cache board. Yes i think these controllers costed a fortune 20 years ago 😊

CPQ Smart Array 2E.jpg

Ha... I was going to pick this up but was unsure if I could use it. After checking the hardware compatibility list I found out I could not... but was very much on the fence for a while.

Glad it went to someone who can use it.

Have you made a thread or have a link to your Proliant?

Compaq Systempro; EISA Dual 386 ¦ Compaq Junkiepro; EISA Dual 386 ¦ ALR Powerpro; EISA Dual 386

EISA Graphic Cards ¦ EISA Graphic Card Benchmarks

Reply 47 of 56, by 386_junkie

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Scraphoarder wrote:

Inspired by 386_junkie's amazing Compaq Systempro i have started my own baby steps to maybe someday achieve the same. Getting a complete chassis are maybe a pipe dream, but who knows what happens? Buyed this motherboard that i think is a 1992 revision. Dont know whats different from the original 1989 board and if it can take a 386 cpu card or two.

So it was you who bought it... it was listed for a while, but I already have two backups (both 1989 and 1992) so did not go for this one.

Good purchase!

Compaq Systempro; EISA Dual 386 ¦ Compaq Junkiepro; EISA Dual 386 ¦ ALR Powerpro; EISA Dual 386

Reply 49 of 56, by 386_junkie

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
mrau wrote:
386_junkie wrote:

So it was you who bought it...

for one moment i thought you were gonna mortal kombat him for that, junkie 😁

🤣 ... I'm from Scotland, here we are one of the friendliest countries in the world, but aggressively friendly.

Scraphoarder wrote:

Inspired by 386_junkie's amazing Compaq Systempro i have started my own baby steps to maybe someday achieve the same. Getting a complete chassis are maybe a pipe dream

Thanks for the compliment Scraphoarder, to be honest I don't think i've inspired anyone before (knowingly at least). If you do need anything though and/or assistance with the build... let me know, I'd be more than happy to help! 😁

Warm welcome to the Systempro Club.

Reply 50 of 56, by Scraphoarder

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
386_junkie wrote:
Ha... I was going to pick this up but was unsure if I could use it. After checking the hardware compatibility list I found out I […]
Show full quote
Scraphoarder wrote:

£23 inc shipping. Compaq Smart Array 2-E Controller. Will go in my quad P166 Proliant 4500 that has only EISA slots.
Funny print of the little $ Pig on the cache board. Yes i think these controllers costed a fortune 20 years ago 😊

CPQ Smart Array 2E.jpg

Ha... I was going to pick this up but was unsure if I could use it. After checking the hardware compatibility list I found out I could not... but was very much on the fence for a while.

Glad it went to someone who can use it.

Have you made a thread or have a link to your Proliant?

Is it the hardware compability list for your Systempro you have looked? In my experience theese lists should be taken with a grain of salt and i just test if something works.
I have not yet made a thread on my Proliant. Im now in a phase just organizing everything i have stored and buyed, but i hope i can do something more constructive when the winter comes. I have multiple systems that im lately have been sourcing spare parts to. To my horror it looks like some old Compaq server parts are not easy to come by anymore.

Last edited by Scraphoarder on 2016-09-28, 12:03. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 51 of 56, by Scraphoarder

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
386_junkie wrote:

[Thanks for the compliment Scraphoarder, to be honest I don't think i've inspired anyone before (knowingly at least). If you do need anything though and/or assistance with the build... let me know, I'd be more than happy to help! 😁

Warm welcome to the Systempro Club.

Thank you too 😊 So we are probably the only two in the universe that openly admitted they have a crush for theese servers? There has to be more of them someplace, but complete systems like yours worldwide are probably few.

Reply 52 of 56, by rein_ein

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

This year finds started by dual opteron server,inside i found:

2x opteron 240 skt940
1x thermaltake hsf
temporary undefined dual skt940 board
pci-x scsi controller
no ram
hdds:
2x36gb scsi